MembersZone Subscriber

Question License Plates on Fire Apparatus

Our department recently had an accident. On the way back from an MVA one of our trucks was run off the road and into a ditch. Luckily nobody was injured and we all had our seatbelts on. Now on to my question. As soon as the State Trooper arrived, his first question was "Where is the license plate for this vehicle?". Our chief advised him he was not aware that you had to have a liscense plate on a fire apparatus. The trooper said that you do have to have a liscense plate. So my question is, how many departments have license plates on their vehicles? And is it a law?

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have them on our apparatus.

I did a search of Anderson's Online ORC and couldn't find any answer. Chapter 4503 covers License Plates.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

we don't have them on ours either but not sure on the exact law. I agree with WTFD check his link and you should find it. Either that or you can call and speak with someone at the BMV.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this section applies?

4503.16. State and federal vehicle registration.

As used in this section, "original owner" includes, with respect to any motor vehicle owned by the federal government and loaned to the state or any of its political subdivisions for use in a federal program, the state or the political subdivision to which the motor vehicle has been loaned and in the name of which the vehicle is registered.

Title to motor vehicles acquired by the state or any of its political subdivisions, whether used for either governmental or proprietary functions, shall be registered. Motor vehicles owned by the federal government and loaned to the state or any of its political subdivisions for use in a federal program shall be registered in the name of the state or political subdivision without the presentation of a certificate of title or other evidence of ownership as required by section 4503.10 of the Revised Code, when the registrar is satisfied that the motor vehicles are on loan from the federal government and are being used exclusively in a federal program. Such vehicles that have been registered and that are used exclusively in the performance of the governmental or proprietary functions of the state or any political subdivision thereof shall not be subject to charge of any kind; but this provision does not exempt the operation of such vehicles from any other provision of Chapters 4501., 4503., 4505., 4507., 4509., 4511., 4515., and 4517. of the Revised Code, and the penal laws relating to them.

The registrar of motor vehicles shall accept any application to register a motor vehicle owned by the federal government that may be made by any officer, department, or agent of such government.

The registrar shall issue permanent license plates for motor vehicles acquired by the state or any of its political subdivisions, or loaned to the state or any of its political subdivisions by the federal government for use in a federal program, which have been registered and that are used exclusively in the performance of the governmental or proprietary functions of the state or any political subdivision thereof, or are used exclusively in a federal program. The registrar shall also issue permanent license plates for all motor vehicles owned and registered by the federal government. Such permanent license plates if lost, stolen, or destroyed, shall be replaced gratis with another permanent number.

Upon the transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle or termination by the federal government of any loan of a motor vehicle for which permanent license plates are issued, the registration of such motor vehicle shall expire and the original owner shall immediately remove such license plates from such motor vehicle. Should the original owner at any time make application for the registration of another motor vehicle, he may file an application for transfer of registration accompanied by the original certificate of registration, for which there shall be no transfer fee.

HISTORY: GC 6295; 100 v 72, 6; 103 v 763; 108 v PtII 1078; 111 v 302; 115 v 101; 116 v 286, 7; 116 v 295; 123 v 660; Bureau of Code Revision, 10-1-53; 128 v 1173 (Eff 11-2-59); 131 v 1074 (Eff 10-30-65); 135 v H 90 (Eff 1-1-75); 137 v H 3 (Eff 1-1-79); 138 v H 453. Eff 3-27-80.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

We have "Turn In An Arsonist" and "1-800-GRAB-DUI" plates on our trucks. I am not aware of a requirement to display a license plate, but I do believe that a plate must be issued to each vehicle. I would call your local State Patrol Post and ask to speak with the Post Commander to get his/her opinion on what you need to do to be compliant with the ORC.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the info guys. Our town clerk contacted the BMV today and they advised that fire trucks dont need a liscense plate. I think our chief is still going to contact our local OSP commander to clear things up with him.

Forum Member

we used to have plates on a couple vehicles......... they eventually over time broke off and never got replaced. Dont see to many here and it would seem silly for a marked unit to have plates, no ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We have them on a few vehicles, but most do not.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: License Plates on Fire Apparatus

Originally posted by EMT324
    As soon as the State Trooper arrived, his first question was "Where is the license plate for this vehicle?".
    You should have asked to see his license plate. I believe all the troopers have the 1 800 GRAB-DUI plates.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: License Plates on Fire Apparatus

Originally posted by PFD109NFD107

You should have asked to see his license plate. I believe all the troopers have the 1 800 GRAB-DUI plates.
    Them silly troopers took our plates!!!???!!!???

So, did the Chief get a response from the Post Commander?
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 02-02-2005 at 12:58 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

EMT324, if your firetruck was red instead of white the trooper may have noticed that it was a firetruck.

MembersZone Subscriber

No plates at either department
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Originally posted by SSHANK42
    EMT324, if your firetruck was red instead of white the trooper may have noticed that it was a firetruck.
    Careful now... our trucks are white too!!!

Orrville Fire Department
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

You know, I never thought of that!

But there is just something I like about a white firetruck! However SSHANK42 I have to compliment your department's newest arrival. I really like the black over red!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Weruj1, what part of Ohio? Looks like you might be a bit north of me!

Oh... and no plates on ours either, however the non- profit EMS Dept. that runs here does...
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

I work part-time for a city department and a non-profit private department here in NE Ohio. Neither department has license plates on any vehicles.

Forum Member

CT state law says we don't need to have plates or register them with the DMV unless it is going to cross state lines.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

In Ohio, license plates on fire apparatus are optional, last I heard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EMT324 View Post
    You know, I never thought of that!

But there is just something I like about a white firetruck! However SSHANK42 I have to compliment your department's newest arrival. I really like the black over red!
    Is there a site to look at this truck mentioned above?

We don't have plates on our trucks and trailer as we have a rehab trailer. But in a way it sort of would make sense to have them I guess.

As far as the OSP he's a cop what else is there to say? Joking aside it's probably rare to have an incident with vehicles like fire trucks, and if all you deal with is everyday people and their vehicles it probably is just a habit to say that.
    Last edited by dday05; 12-15-2006 at 10:22 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

not sure about the truck mentioned above, but here is a link to our newest arrival. All other trucks are yellow, but everyone loves this new color and I would say before before long all will be this color.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/app...l.jsp?id=45579

Not a great pic, I have a few more but would have to upload them somewhere if you would like to see it better. Also, not only are the trucks yellow, they are Sutphens.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wilson10 View Post
    not sure about the truck mentioned above, but here is a link to our newest arrival. All other trucks are yellow, but everyone loves this new color and I would say before before long all will be this color.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/app...l.jsp?id=45579

Not a great pic, I have a few more but would have to upload them somewhere if you would like to see it better. Also, not only are the trucks yellow, they are Sutphens.
    Your new truck is sharp! Is your rig in service? Have you used your Fire Com headsets yet ? If so do you like them? BE SAFE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that here in Mississippi and in Tennessee the trucks have Government issued plates. Does this not apply in ohio??? Just wondering.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Your new truck is sharp! Is your rig in service? Have you used your Fire Com headsets yet ? If so do you like them? BE SAFE!!
    Thanks, that it is, very sharp indeed. It will be in service tomorrow after we do some training with the guys from Pierce. It has a Husky foam system on it and this is a first for us. While not rocket science we still need to have training on the proper way to use it It will be first run engine also. If anyone would like to see some more pics I will upload them somewhere and post a link for ya.

As far as the license plates go, I am certain we do not have any except on the Chief and Inspector vehicles and our pickup, but they are all state plates. I am assuming fire trucks don't apply as I don't recall even having a plate holder on our 98 Sutphen.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Forum Member

We have license plates on all of our vehicles. EMS agency has license plates on all their ambulances. PD has license plates on all their vehicles as well.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

here is a link to where you can see a few more pics of the new truck and what it is replacing. There are a few bonus photos too as I was just seeing how many I could upload at once.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wilson21...60762378274003
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Thread Information