Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default military experience or degree?

my question is as of right now im in deciding phase i wanna join the military as fire and emergancy rescue or go to school and get a degree in fire science. My goal after completing on of the two is to be a full time firefighter. Can i please get some advise on which would be the better route, i heard military training is really good for firefighting but i also heard if u have a degree u can earn up to 15k more a year. please help.

thanks

Default Re: military experience or degree?

Originally posted by vteclude3
    my question is as of right now im in deciding phase i wanna join the military as fire and emergancy rescue or go to school and get a degree in fire science. My goal after completing on of the two is to be a full time firefighter. Can i please get some advise on which would be the better route, i heard military training is really good for firefighting but i also heard if u have a degree u can earn up to 15k more a year. please help.

thanks
    You know that the military helps you get degrees while you are in, don't you? I completed almost three years worth of credits (93) out of the way while on active duty for four years. Could have finished the degree, but was stationed in Hawaii and wanted to surf as much as possible , Desert Storm also got in the way, but even in the desert I completed nine credits with correspondence classes.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Depends on what you want out of life! I wanted adventure, so I went into the Navy after high school. My parents would have helped me out as far as paying for college, but I was to hard headed for that. I wanted to get out of small town USA and see what the world had to offer. I'm sure most vet's here will tell you that the military changed their life for the better. Gives you a whole new outlook on life and what it means to be an American. If you can handle the military the fire department will be a walk in the park.

former FH.com member

Lightbulb

If you think it's right for you, go military. Serve your country, better yourself and earn your Veteran's Points in the process. Veteran's Preference can make all the difference in the civilian job market.

Forum Member

Default Degree....

Even though you get points for veteran's preference, some departments require college...doesn't the FDNY require 60 credit hours? You could kind of kill two birds with one stone and make sure that some of the college is fire service related, like an EMT-B class, which you'll probably need anyway.

The FDNY wants 60 credits or military. Look into the schools with live in programs, go to school and live rent free while going ot fires. Some programs I understand have tuition assistance. Remember your first day on the fire dept could be your last. Plan for the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the subject of FDNY, I heard through the grapevine that in 2006 they were going to require a bachelors degree for all captains and above. Hopefully someone clear this up. I chose college and currently go to Eastern Kentucky University. I'm a fire administration major, but as many mentioned before you can get your degree in the service. As far as it not being in a fire science field, most places that require a degree to make it past a certain rank don't require it to be in a fire related field. Good luck on your choice, I was there two years ago.

Default thanks

wow thanks everybody for the feedback, u all have been very helpful, ive decided to join the military and take classes when im able to, kill two birds with one stone, im not just using the military for tution assistance, i wanna serve my country and experience the military way of life. now the next step is deciding on which branch, MARINES or NAVY

thanks

If you decide to go into the Navy. Go into Damage Control if you want a taste of Navy shipboard fire fighting. DC 'A' school is in San Francisco, CA. You will get exstensive knowledge of fire fighting, AFFF, Halon systems and a bunch of other extingushing systems. And if you want to see the world try to get on board the USS Blue Ridge out of Yokuska, Japan. This is a command ship that carries the brass of the Navy around. They hit all the ports of call. I was on the USS Independence in the early 90's out of Japan. Not sure which carrier is there now since the Indy was decomissioned.
    Last edited by mote1251; 01-07-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Member

Default Re: thanks

Originally posted by vteclude3
    wow thanks everybody for the feedback, u all have been very helpful, ive decided to join the military and take classes when im able to, kill two birds with one stone, im not just using the military for tution assistance, i wanna serve my country and experience the military way of life. now the next step is deciding on which branch, MARINES or NAVY

thanks

Just a piece of advice, dont join the military after *seriously* thinking about it for less than 12 hours. It is how you will spend the next few years of your life. Im going up in the Air Force soon, and its not something you just decide about in a few hours or even weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Default Re: thanks

now the next step is deciding on which branch, MARINES or NAVY[/B]
    If you RAELLY want to get into firefighting, you should deffinately look into the Air Force. Down in Texas, they will give you more Fire Training than you could EVER want. Including your secondary education in EMS (EMT or Paramedic, Take your pick.)

The truth is, AF guys get the same CFR-AARF fire training that the NAVY offers and, because you are the primary response for all buildings on base, you recieve much more structural fire traing as an added bonus.

Not to knock the Navy or anything, but EVERYONE in the Navy recieves some sort of fire training. In the AF firefighting is considered more of a specialty position, and it shows in the training.

An Example
    A guy that I was on base with spent Four years in the Air Force. He was firefighter, then fire officer on Base, received his College degree in Fire Science, and got his Paramedic license. When he opted to leave the service, he was 23 years old, had his Veteran's Points, and was IMMEDIATELY hired on to the FD for a major (top 5 in the nation) Commercial airport...making just over $90,000 a year.

Money isn't everything, but it helps to be financially sound.

Good Luck in the military and good luck with your public service career.

Default Re: Re: thanks

Originally posted by StLRes2cue

If you RAELLY want to get into firefighting, you should deffinately look into the Air Force. Down in Texas, they will give you more Fire Training than you could EVER want. Including your secondary education in EMS (EMT or Paramedic, Take your pick.)

The truth is, AF guys get the same CFR-AARF fire training that the NAVY offers and, because you are the primary response for all buildings on base, you recieve much more structural fire traing as an added bonus.

Not to knock the Navy or anything, but EVERYONE in the Navy recieves some sort of fire training. In the AF firefighting is considered more of a specialty position, and it shows in the training.

An Example
    A guy that I was on base with spent Four years in the Air Force. He was firefighter, then fire officer on Base, received his College degree in Fire Science, and got his Paramedic license. When he opted to leave the service, he was 23 years old, had his Veteran's Points, and was IMMEDIATELY hired on to the FD for a major (top 5 in the nation) Commercial airport...making just over $90,000 a year.

Money isn't everything, but it helps to be financially sound.

Good Luck in the military and good luck with your public service career.
    He joins the marines, and he gets the CFR-AARF, structural training, AND gets to be One of the Few and the Proud, rather just another blue suit running around in the world.
    Semper Fi!

Just out of curiosity, does the Army offer any sort of firefighting MOS anymore, or do they contract it all out/use DoD Federal Fire Fighters only?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

I would pick the military. There are many other life skills you can gain through the armed forces that you can't get with a college degree. You can also get your college paid for and have the chance to see many interesting places in the world that you would never see without the military. Myself I never served in the military and that is one thing that I will always regret.

The Army has an MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) for firefighter. It used to be 51M, but is now 21M. I believe that the training is at Goodfellow AFB, TX. Small career field, but good training.

For more info:
    http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=137

Also the Credentialing Opportunities On-Line:
    https://www.cool.army.mil/21m.htm

Good Luck!
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

He joins the marines, and he gets the CFR-AARF, structural training, AND gets to be One of the Few and the Proud, rather just another blue suit running around in the world.

You ever wonder why the Marines paycheck is from the U.S. Navy?

MembersZone Subscriber

Why don't you just do both? I was active for 5 1/2 yrs in the Marines, joined the Army Reserve as a FF and went to school. I have my aas and a full-time fire gig. It depends on what you want to do. I joined the Marines to get away see the world, get yelled at, yell at people, and get a good chunk of GI bill money to go to school. The other branches even pay for school when you get out. Some branches may even have bonus money for certain MOS. Main thing is ask as many questions as possible and explore every option to the fullest. The military FF all go to the same academy down is San Angelo, which is a darn good academy, but watch which state you come back to, your certs may not matter. In Illinois, I had to challenge the state tests when I returned. Either branch, active or reserve, if you don't know what you want, the military is a good option and a good experience you can always lean back on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Go with the Air Force IF you want a fire protection MOS. I knew a few Marine ARFF guys in Iraq, and the opportunities the AF has were not available for the Army or the Marines. Also not many active duty Army firefighters left. Even if there are active slots, that's no gauruntee you will doing firefighting once you get to your duty station.

Default Go Military Go Marines

I waent Marines. You will get the same Basic training as the Airforce. They go to the same School in Texas. You will have Airforce, Army, and Marine Instructors.
    You can do college anywhere anytime with a computer and a litlle ambition. Empire State College in NY has a great online 4 year program and Pikes Peak in the Mid West has a good 2 year program. Both online both great starts. They will give you life credit points and so on.
    Good luck
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Default My thoughts...

Here are my thoughts and pros/cons-

Degree-

How many jobs out there require prior military experince?
    Few to none. How many jobs require a degree? Most.
    Once you obtain a degree, no one can take it away from
    you and it doesnt expire. As you get older, buy a house,
    start a family, etc, it will be harder and longer to
    finish the degree process. Trust me, I know. Get it and
    get ahead. Lay down the foundation for a career.

Military-

A good route, BUT most people get locked in and settled into
    the military. Yes, you can get military preferrance points, but
    no guarantee of a job. Plus they have the GI bill to pay
    for college.

The Air Force is a good route because they make most people
    get a degree before leaving. But no guarantee. They have alot
    of money and are a first class operation. Their fire equipment
    is top notch.

Navy- Another respectable route. Lets get real, everyone is
    a Firefighter in the Navy. Everyone gets "damage control"
    with basic training.

Something to think about- If you join the services now, you
    could get shipped to Iraq. You might come back injuried and
    cant get employment as a FF.

I would go the college route then think about Paramedic school.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-08-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Forum Member

Although generally I personally would rather work with a firefighter from a military background (that is a generalization and there are exceptions) I believe most large departments today would hire the degree ahead of military.

My personal experience has shown that for the most part I would hire in the following order to get the best 'team' of firefighters:

1. Jocks with a team sports background. Hockey and baseball players definately make the best firefighters(I'm only being slightly facetious)

2. Trades

3. Military

4. Degrees

Professional dancers don't generally make good firefighters but there is definately a place for chefs.

Singers don't generally make good firefighters but conversely firefighters don't generally make good singers. Anyone who has been to a karaoke bar with their crew will know what I meen.

I am again generalizing and realize that many people fit into more than one of these categories.

If anybody doesn't spot my tongue planted firmly in my cheek, you deserve whatever blood-pressure you have.

I apologize to any professional dancers I may have insulted. The same goes for the appoximately 1.2 % of firefighters who can actually sing.

Thread Information