Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2q

Question 2q

Does anyone know the status of the 2Q in Connecticut? I asked this in the CT forum but got no response. Thanks.

The last "official news & information" is DMV is moving to re-instate it.

You'd have to talk to DMV and/or the Fire Academy to find out the current status -- I'm not sure if we're in a "grace period" between when the old Q expired on statutes on Jan 1 and when DMV creates an administrative one...or not.

DMV to Review Elimination of 2-Q Licensing Program

Several months ago it came to the Commission on Fire Prevention and Controlís attention that the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) planned to discontinue the 2-Q fire apparatus licensing program to more clearly comply with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act.

As a result of this information, the Joint Council of Connecticut Fire Service Organizations met with representatives of DMV to discuss its concern with the planned changes. The primary concerns were that elimination of specific licensing standards and requirements for persons who operate fire apparatus could compromise safety and negatively impact insurance rates. Following the meeting, the Joint Council sent a letter to DMV Commissioner DeFilippo requesting that he consider a special license designation and testing requirements for those that drive fire apparatus in excess of 26,001 pounds.

On September 27, 2004 Commissioner DeFilippo wrote back indicating that he has directed his Legal Services Bureau Chief to draft a regulation to accomplish the Joint Councilís request. The regulation would provide for a so-called ďQĒ endorsement for a Class D (formerly Class 2) license for fire apparatus drivers who do not possess a Commercial Driverís License (CDL). As most are aware, the federal regulations concerning CDLís do not allow for additional license restrictions or endorsements beyond those that have been established for national and interstate use. Therefore, the ďQĒ designation will be for non-CDL licensing only. DMV anticipates it will continue to perform testing for applicants for this endorsement, with such testing to require the use of representative vehicles.

It is important to note that fire apparatus will continue to be exempt from CDL requirements.

As more information becomes available on this issue it will passed along.

Content Last Modified on 11/8/2004 2:29:21 PM
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 01-07-2005 at 03:45 PM.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Any theories, Dal, on what will happen to someone (say me, for instance) whose license is about to expire? I'd be kind of annoyed if I lost the Q this month, only to have them invent something new in a little while, and have to go back for another license.

-A

Basicly, they are rearranging the letters and numbers to make it look more complicated and not actually changing anything. Typical State of CT operation.

Average joe license right now is a "CLASS 2" and FF's can get a "Q Restriction" for fire apparatus.

With the new system, average joe will be a "CLASS D" and we will have a "Q Endorcement" on it.

Same thing, different names. Those with a Class 2 & Q right now will automaticlly receive the Q Endorsement on their new "CLASS D" Lisense. The Q is not something that needs to be renewed. You get it once and it stays with you.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Originally posted by nmfire
    Same thing, different names. Those with a Class 2 & Q right now will automaticlly receive the Q Endorsement on their new "CLASS D" Lisense. The Q is not something that needs to be renewed. You get it once and it stays with you.
    Yeah, I knew the part about the Q not expiring, but I was thinking that if it went away entirely, or if they weren't sure of the status at this point, it would be taken off my license or something, and then I'd have to go find my paperwork for when the substitute was invented. But if the substitute is a Class D with a Q endorsement, I guess I can stop worrying.

Thanks!

-A

Would a DQ license qualify you to work at Dairy Queen???

Anyway, nmfire said as much as I know.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

well, the way I see some people drive, they would be safer behind a DQ counter than a BRT steering wheel.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information