Thread: vitamins?

Post vitamins?

Hello all:

I began a workout program about a week ago and it is going pretty well. I was thinking about taking a vitamin to help my body even more. Im not a big guy, so Im not trying to look like a professional body builder, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some sort of vitamin that would be good for a guy like me. I take "One a Days" right now a multivitamin but dont know if that is good enough. I am 22 years old. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great.

I dont think I want to get into any supplements like creatine, but I just want to take some sort of vitamin everyday that would be good for my body as I workout.

Thanks to all who post in advance

Doug

MegaMan at GNC. im 20yrs old and I'm slightly bigger (5'9 239lbs)

I start fire academy in june and am currently volunteering. I ask the guys what they use and they all said "megaman" multivit. it works great.

also, Nitrotech works awesome (protein) and Protien Eight for protien bars are nice...

i'm working on Endurance this year, then after completing fire academy in december i'm back to working muscle.(probably creatine w/ protien)

Mega Men here too. I take a little extra Vitamin C too here and there along with protein bars or shakes when I dont have the time to eat a meal. Creatine's good as well, but you have to drink a lot of water with it so your ****ing all the time.
    *Inside of every Democrat is a Republican trying to get out*

Forum Member

Any good premade protein shakes you guys suggest, or have you found the protien bars to better. I took GNC Whey protien powder, but I cant stand mixing it...it taste like chalk dust.

Default Multi vitamin & Protein

I take a multi vitamin direct from the local CVS. The name brand ones can get a bit coastly and for the most part are the same as name brand stuff. I take protein in powders such as egg/whey & Soy. Shop all this stuff and read Medical Journals Many DR.s are muscle heads too!. The muscle Mags are usless as a source for supplements. A well balanced diet and maybe a bit of protein should be all you need for your goals. Most everything else is money down the drain.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

MembersZone Subscriber

I use Animal Pak by Universal Nutrition. It's a pack of eleven tablets that you take daily. It might be a little burdensome at first, but I got used to taking them after a few days. It's designed for performance.
    As for protein, whey protein is most often used in meal replacement shakes (MRPs). I've seen research which states that whey prevents muscle breakdown, but doesn't necessarily promote muscle growth. A good one is Lean Body by LaBrada Nutrition. LaBrada generally does not use sugar in his shakes. I like shakes better than bars because bars tend to have higher amounts of sugar (from the glycerine used to keep the bar together) than the labels say they do. I also like 100% egg protein from Optimum Nutrition. The chocolate flavor tastes good, it's easy to mix, and egg protein provides essential amino acids that can be used for energy during your workouts and help repair your body after workouts.

If you want good prices check out netrition.com and musclesurf.com. Hope this helps!
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vitamins & Protein

I have been taking Men's One-a-day for years along with a Vitamin C and Zinc pill. In addition I take an oil pill twice a day. (This contains healthy Omega 3 & 6 oils.)

Regarding protein, I generally use Optimum Nutrition Whey as a post workout shake and mid-day snack. I tend to stay away from protein bars but tend to like Trioplex as a meal replacement.

I have taken creatine, but am off it for a while because I am trying to drop a few more pounds.

Forum Member

Default Converning Protein Supplements, etc.

Best site ever:

http://www.t-nation.com/

There's a little "search" link in the upper right hand corner. That's probably the easiest way to poke around on there. The amount of information on there is astounding. The answer to any question you may have about sports nutrition or training can be found on there.

Needless to say, I recommend the protein powder they sell.

Referring back to the original post. No multivitamin is great. You should be trying to get your vitamins from real foods. Any multivitamin, used as a supplement should be fine, though. Just be wary of multivitamins containing iron, as they interfere with the absorbtion or Vit C, and they have been linked to cardiovascular issues in men.

Now that I've given away one of my secrets, T-nation, I'm headed off to the gym to stay on pace with you guys. Consistency is the key!
    FDNY Class 1 of 05.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

MembersZone Subscriber

I use the Mega Mens vitamins from GNC. The best I've used. Leaving me feeling "picked up" after a hard lift and a steam.

Just my .02

Forum Member

anyone like the balance bars, a little less protien only 15g's but a lot of vitamins. Taste pretty good.

Thread Information