Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Rip & Run Printers

Wondering what type of printers you use for your rip and run. We are using Lexmark Laser Printers that are networked to dispatch and we are burning through paper like crazy.

Is anyone using a thermal type printer?

Thanks in advance,
    Lance Tryggestad
    La Crosse Fire Dept.
    La Crosse WI

Ever thought of going to dot matrix? A little old I know but we have been using them for years. paper comes on a roll, and if the message is short, you only use a small amount of paper.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Default Laser...

We used dot-matrix long, long ago. Laser is way better.
    Faster, clean and not need to rip.

Why are you going through so much paper? Sounds more like
    a programming error vs. the printer's fault.

MembersZone Subscriber

The message that comes through has name, address, nature of call, cross streets etc... but it is only using the top left corner of a sheet of paper. 4 rigs at a station, 4 sheets printed, 4 stations you get the picture.

I was wondering if FDs are using the thermal printers like at restaurants or credit card slips?

Thanks again

fdny does, we get two copies at the same time.

MembersZone Subscriber

jfTL41,

What brand and model of printer does FDNY use?

Default Like I said...

Originally posted by LCFD77
    The message that comes through has name, address, nature of call, cross streets etc... but it is only using the top left corner of a sheet of paper. 4 rigs at a station, 4 sheets printed, 4 stations you get the picture.
    Like I said, sounds like a programming error. Make dispatch
    send the call the assigned station and unit(s) only. If youre
    printing up paper for non-assigned units, then you are
    truely wasting paper.

As for which printer FDNY uses, doesnt it really matter?

MembersZone Subscriber

It only prints to rigs and stations that are assigned. What I am saying is the information only takes up about a quarter of the page. I was trying to see if someone has used the smaller, thermal paper printers and it sounds like FDNY does....that is why it matters.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure...but I think that paper you refer to is found in our rigs. All FDNY Rigs have a MDT and a small printer that prints similar to a fuel pump receipt.

In the firehouse there is a printer that uses carbonless copy paper to print two coppies at the same time rather largely and quickly for both the Engine and the Truck, or rescue, chief or whatever. They come on rolls which are fed into the printer.

PS---Ours in addition to the addr box number cross Sts. etc. prints off the CIDS info which is Critical Information Dispatch System which prints all important info about that address...like which stairway has a Stanpipe. Where sprinklers are if above cellar and ground floor...are their access stairs.. Is the building marked as a vacant...etc.

So what I'm getting at is that the ticket could be large and take 1/2 a page or it could be 5 or 6 lines at the top. That is why we use rolls. Our tickets really varry in size based on the info contained within them.... I hope this helps in someway.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-08-2005 at 07:20 PM.

This is not a problem with the printer. A printer will only print what is sent to it in the format that it is sent. I would be willing to bet the data is being sent to the printer that way.

Now, this still doesn't change the fact that it will use a complete sheet of paper. The ONLY way you can get around this the dot matrix thing with a tear off cover thing.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks FFFred...
    Exactly what I was looking for. Do have any idea what brand and model of printer is used at the station?

Thanks.

nmfire, thanks for the reply, I know its not a problem with the printer, I am looking for a smaller paper output so that we don't shred a sheet of paper when only the upper left corner was used.

Thanks though.

I wish ours would work... the city hired a new IT person, and apparently we are below the totem pole on the priority list...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

The best guy to talk to would be one of our senior dispatchers who works in Brooklyn.

Go to his web site and contact him. He will know or know who to put you in contact with. Fire Alarm Disp 347 Frank Raffa

www.fdnewyork.com

PS=Our system is more or less our system...it was developed 30 years ago for us it isn't some off the shelf system you can buy anywhere so I don't know if our printers would work for you but it is a shot!

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-08-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Forum Member

The current printer in FDNY firehouses is a Panasonic KX-P3124 24-pin dot matrix. We use pressure sensitive paper rolls so there's no ribbon or ink to deal with.
    Frank Raffa
    Supv. Dispatcher, FDNY
    Borough of Brooklyn
    www.FDNewYork.com

We use one of those reciept type printers that you would find at any store. It's a thermal printer though, not ink, it's faster, cleaner and easier.

Looks alot like this, as a matter of fact, this might be the one:

Last edited by mglax13; 01-09-2005 at 02:48 AM.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh, and if you ever get the print-out system, don't do what the rocket scientists did at my last station (actually don't do anything that the rockets scientists did at my last station - but that's another story).

The 2nd Lt came to the meeting with a proposal to get an off air decoder linked to a printer so as the crews could grab a copy of the call details to have on the rigs while responding. I asked did we really need it seeing as how the present system was working just fine. But then all the young ones said "what a cool idea - then we would be just like the big career ff stations :roll: ". So it went to the vote and yep we spent $2500 on the system - even though we were also trying to fundraise for 2 more SCBA sets - go figure!

So they went ahead and got it, and then installed it in an office that most members don't have a key to, so the printouts never went on the rigs to the calls anyway. Like I have said before - what did I do to deserve to live in the area served by the world's most fire-trucked up fire department???
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

We don't even use printers! The tones go off. We write down the address that's given, find it on the map, then head out. (Lt. is looking on the map as we ride)

we are a rural/city area. a combination so to speak. so we have a little leway with no printers yet. The county is about to spend money to put laptops in the trucks so when we get in for a call, dispatch fowards everything to the cabs.

we used to have them ..........and they went by the wayside .......hardly ever got the printout before responding and we are a POC place !So we do what we have done for years, write it down on the dry erase board and get goin .......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

We used the dry erase board system and it was fine for like 95% of the calls we recieved. This is really helpful though for those FAS Team requests and mutual aids that we get in the neighboring districts. Those directions really come in handy finding a house in a town that you're not very familiar with. I guess an argument could be to just MapQuest it, but this is instant and to print a run ticket and a directions ticket takes maybe 5 seconds all together.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

We use a Bic.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information