Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flood

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flood

Well here we go again. The mighty Ohio river kicked our *** again. Just seems like we done this in September, oh wait a minute we did. Not quite as bad this time only had 4 to 4.5 feet instead of 6 feet on main street. We will be starting around 1600 today on the cleanup. We flush about 2 mile of roadway in town. Will take about 40 hours to do so. Only had a problem with one business last time because we did not get it done fast enough. We do not get asked to do this we just do it. If we did not the s@#t would hit the fan I bet. Hard to get the manpower when it's a VFD, but somehow we do. Good thing our members are willing to miss work or take vacation to get the job done. What a great bunch of guys to work with. I think times like this brings everybody together and shows what can be done. So to everyone in the same boat (no pun intended) happy cleaning.

Lucky for us, Orrville is on "high ground" so we didn't get the floods here this time. Back in September we sent a crew to Marietta, OH on the State-Wide Mutual Aid plan... I wonder why they did not activate it this time to help folks like you in cleaning the streets?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Marietta did get hit hard last time. I thought we had it bad until I saw Marietta. We are down river about 45 miles. Our county did have the National Guard in to help, but for some reason they never helped us at all. The only time we saw them is when they were lost and drove into town looking for directions. They did show up days later to help with trash removal. Of course the dumpsters were place behind our firehouse, so this was the dumping point for the dump trucks loaded with trash. They would dump it on the ground then the loader would scoop it up. Needless to so it stunk for a while after it was over. We still have to be careful of the glass and small debris that was left behind in our limestone parking lot. The promise of having it all scooped up and replaced has yet to come around.

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

SSHANK42: Being in the prairies, I have never worked in a flood situation. It sounds fairly labour intensive. Good luck.

ocasionally the small village of Grand Rapids floods in our county ...they appear to be not user friendly......SS where are you in Ohio ?> Beisdes south ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information