Forum Member

Default check this out !

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=65574Local News

New law requires arsonists to register with police

By Tim Petrowich, Marion Daily Republican
    MARION -- A new Illinois law now puts those convicted of arson in a similar category as convicted sex offenders. Both are now required to register with local police agencies after their convictions.

Under the new law, which went into effect Jan. 1, anyone convicted of what the state classifies as an "arson offense" is required to register with local police agencies. The procedure is very similar to the Illinois Sex Offender Registry requirements.

The new law has one local prosecutor puzzled. Williamson County State's Attorney Charles Garnati wonders why the state would put such a law into effect.

"I'm not sure I understand the difference between arson and armed robbery or burglary," Garnati said. "Where do you stop."

Garnati said the main impact of the new law will be to increase the case load for prosecutors.

"Fortunately here we have very few arson cases," he said. "I'm not in favor of putting arson on the same level with molesting a child."

Illinois law defines an "arson offense" as arson, aggravated arson, residential arson, place of worship arson, possession of explosives or explosive or incendiary devices or an attempt to commit any of those offenses.

The law also requires those convicted of arson to register with local police agencies within 10 days of a conviction, or within 10 days of release from prison if a prison sentence is imposed. That registration requirement continues for 10 years.

Similar to the sex offender registration requirements, convicted arsonists must register with local law enforcement in communities and counties where the person lives and works, is required when those addresses changed, and is required to be renewed annually.

Failure to register as a convicted arsonist within the appropriate time is a Class 4 felony, which is punishable by up to three years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

The new registration law is one of several that Garnati questions. He also noted that while people convicted of reckless homicide or second-degree murder can get probation, and someone who breaks into a home to steal a television set and is convicted of residential burglary must serve a mandatory prison sentence.

"To me, the child molestation is a much more serious crime than arson is," Garnati said.

http://www.mariondaily.com/articles...news/news01.txt
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

True but I would still want to know where these people live... I wouldn't want my children to be anywhere near a felon of any sort... maybe im just looking at the worst case scenario here but... would i really want a neighbor tellin my kid that the olny way to get even with someone is to blow up thier car, garbage can, house, etc... etc...

Default registration for arsonist

That law started when a couple of convicted arsonist turned up on the roles of some of the poorer fire departments in my area. At the time there was no way to remove them, so the idea is that if there is a list, it can be checked before accepting someone as a new member. Oh by the way, isn't child molestation considered a sex crime?

Thread Information