District Chief

Question Rejection Letters?

What is the word on rejection letters? We have applied for a grant and to this point have received no correspondence except verification of filing.

I have heard two different scenarios. The first is that after a certain point in the process all applications have been reviewed and anyone that is receiving a rejection letter will have received a rejection letter. The second is that you can receive a rejection letter right up to the last week.

I know of one department that received notification in late November of 2003 but did not actually receieve their grant until the very last round(February 2004, Round 35) last year.

Anyone got any poop on this issue?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There is one more round of DJ's coming, most likely close to the same time period as last year, which was around the middle of February. There will probably be one more round of pre-notifications (1199A & 10 questions) within the next two weeks. If you don't get either of those before the end of January, expect the bad news.

But if you're on the edge now, it would be a good idea to already have your plans set for the two scenarios. So you either need a new project because you're getting this one funded. Or you need to polish your narrative since you made it past the computer score, and it was the narrative that didn't score high enough.

- Brian

wow, talk about a nail biter? we have yet to hear anything as well. applied for a rig, fingers crossed, praying, not much more to do. going by what your saying BC79er, everyone should know soon?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

From what I've heard/experienced, all will know one way or another within the next 4 weeks.

District Chief

There is one more round of DJ's coming
    English please?

There will probably be one more round of pre-notifications (1199A & 10 questions) within the next two weeks.
    What does this consist of? Not familiar with 1199A and 10. This is my first experience with assisting in the writing and mgt of the grant application. So.....I am not as dense as it may seem.

Bc79er...gonna send you my narrative if I can manage. Tell me what you think.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 'DJ' stands for 'Dear John' letter...meaning your rejection letters - as they have been affectionately known for years.

The 10 questions is a form/questions FEMA sends you when it is highly likely (think 99.999%) you will get the grant, wanting to make sure nothing has changed, if you will have the match, still want the funds, etc. As with the form...deposit info, etc. etc.
    (The EXACT opposite of the Dear Johns...)

Good luck! Hope this helps.
    (Am sure someone else can probably explain it a little more technical...this is my basic version )

MembersZone Subscriber

Captstan,

Make sure you check your app on-line and don't wait on the e-mail. The two preliminary indications that it is party time are a request to update your 1199A form (bank account info) and answer the 10 questions but the order you get those requests seems to vary. We've been blessed with an award in 2003 and 2004. In 03, we didn't get the questions until after we had completed the 1199 update. This year the requests came on the same day.

The 1199a appears as another option on the on-line application. A neighboring department didn't know about the 1199a and didn't check their application on-line until a call from FEMA finally got them rolling. The delay cost them probably 2 months in getting awarded.

District Chief

DUH!...slap me silly.... a bit slow on the "DJ" Thanks Dixie...
    BMI Investigator

District Chief

Bump
    BMI Investigator

Forum Member

Stan, we're in the same boat.......... Haven't heard a thing yet....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

1199A and questions came the same day and i emailed the questions right away and express mailed the 1199A and they email me back saying that they have received the 1199A form.... now im its a hurry up and wait proccess but heck ive been waiting since April of last year so whats a couple more weeks....lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi. In response to questions regarding FEMA funding, funds for FY 2004 can be awarded up until the next round of funding begins. If you have not yet gotten a rejection letter, no news is good news, and please don't lose heart! Chieftain Safety Manufacturing now provides FREE grant writing and grant writing assistance for Fire Departments. Please contact them for more information at www.chieftainsafety.com and GOOD LUCK!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi. In response to questions regarding FEMA funding, funds for FY 2004 can be awarded up until the next round of funding begins. If you have not yet gotten a rejection letter, no news is good news, and please don't lose heart! Chieftain Safety Manufacturing now provides FREE grant writing and grant writing assistance for Fire Departments. Please contact them for more information at www.chieftainsafety.com and GOOD LUCK!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chances

We received a grant last year for over $160,000 with which we purchased some communications equipment, PPE and a burn building. My question is this. We have not closed out that grant yet. Will the fact that we haven't closed out the grant contribute to us not hearing about this years grant? We haven't heard a thing about the firefighter's assistance grant or the fire prevention grant. Any thoughts from anyone? Anyone believe there's still a chance?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Each grant program year is treated as a separate program, so there's no requirement for one to be closed without the other being awarded. Many departments have had two open because they were a late award one year, and early the next. The only reason they ask if the current application is building on to the previous award is for those that cannot afford to buy everything in one year because of funding. Many have had to choose between PPE and SCBA each year, and those score a little higher when they come back around. At least they seem to, and I would support such a weighting. Makes sense.

The fire prevention grants won't start until February some time. I have to add in the totals from last Friday into my Totals Forum posting, but considering the number of vehicles awarded I'd say if you haven't gotten the 1199A or 10 questions, don't hold your breath. The total is creeping close to the end and I know there are a lot of folks that have the prenotification stuff, and with only 3 rounds left, I don't want to say give up hope since you made it this far. But now would be the time to check back over everything and polish it up for next year.

Forum Member

Default Where do we stand?

We are one of the many who have a grant filed and have yet to hear anything. I know the news will probably not be good but my problem is what to do in 2005. Should I rework our current grant application, pending it is turned down, or try something totally different. My other question is if we made it this far without getting a DJ letter where did we loose out? Did we make it past the computer scoring and get snagged somewhere else? It would be nice to know where our grant failed. I know that would make it way to easy for everyone but it would be nice to know if it made it past the preliminary round of evaluation. I would guess if we made it this far without getting a DJ letter it must not of been quickly dismissed.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To answer your first questions, yes, do both for another week or so. Rework the narrative from 2004, and plan on a new project for 2005. If you didn't make it to peer review then you would have been canned in the first round. All others made it to peer review, so that was your shorter score.

Although it technically could have been your computer score that was lower and your narrative is what brought it up. Either way, if you didn't win you were dang close, so it couldn't have been all bad.

Forum Member

what do you mean by computer score does the computer look for certain things or what?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

All of those statistics you entered on the application (run volume, response area size, population served, members, etc, etc, etc) all get crunched together. There is a super secret fomula they use to determine your "need" from a statistical point of view. For instance, if you have a million dollar budget, 50 volunteers, no paid folks, and make 500 runs in a year, you're not getting anything because you have too much money compared to your salary needs and run volume, for them to buy you a pumper. Probably the same for SCBA or PPE.

Anywho, those numbers are crunched, and the computer spits out a score, or a ranking. After they handle all of the apps, they figure out what the likelihood that portions of the group will get an award. If there is $1.5 billion total requested for those scoring above a 50, they will probably not send any apps that scored less than a 25 to peer review since it's highly unlikely that the narrative would increase their score enough to get an award. This group is the first round of DJs. If you didn't pass this mark, your project in numbers didn't quite meet what they were looking for in an ideal project. If you make it pass this point and get DJ'd, it means your narrative didn't help you out enough, or it could have even brought you down. I've heard through the grapevine that there have been several cases of a really high computer score, and then the narrative was poorly written, and brought the combined score out of award range. Hence, the need for a top notch narrative.

Forum Member

thanks for clearing that up for me!! I just got my call from the senator yesterday so now im waiting to spend money

Forum Member

As of this morning (2/1/05) we had not had a rejection letter or the 1199A link. Is this an indicator that we will be turned down for 2004?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If they come today it probably won't be until close to 9 or 10am EST.

Someone else reported another 1000 DJs are due in the last round. That ought to be either this week or next week that they come. It was the first Tuesday of February last year, but it wasn't the 1st day of the month, so it might not happen until next week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How many award rounds are left

When you say last round, do you mean that this week is the last round of awards also? Or do you mean that this is the last round of rejection letters? I had heard that awards will still continue for a number of weeks; until March 7. The whole thing is giving me an ulcer!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

One last round of denials. Everyone else will be in the money.

MembersZone Subscriber

My experience has been that if oyu have not recived your letter by Dec that you are stillin consideration. As the grnat moeny dwindles they will still try to fund as many of the departments as they have oney for. This is also the time when they start calling and asking if you will take a lesser amount. Rejection is stillpossible but, keep your hopes up! Reapply for 2005 with updated figures and play the game again.

Thread Information