Default Lack of PPE in Iraq

FF's in Iraq,

I have recently applied and will soon have a interview. I just read an article posted on this website concerning the lack of PPE in Iraq as well as lack of training opportunities. The article really blamed WSI for feeding prospective FFs with false info. How true was this article? What is the PPE situation now? Are there any training opportunities that will result in certification? How bad is it over there, REALLY?

Thanks,

Verduin

MembersZone Subscriber

One of our vollunteer guys went over there four months ago and his e-mails back home have not made any reference to any shortcommings in training or supplies. However that does not mean it isn't happening and he just isn't complaining.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Angry

It's a private company who answers to stockholders...would you expect anything less? Tp paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld...

"you fight fires in Iraq with the FD you have, not the FD you want to have...."
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I would hope that guys going over there as FF's would already have training.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

i would read this post its over 30 pages but is info from guys leaving and guys there answering questions and your questions have been probably answered ,trust me its a good read !!

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=61281
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my turnout gear EXACTLY 2 weeks after arriving--What you're hearing there is griping by someone who was fired and someone who did not like it here (and not everyone does).

I personally have witnessed one (1) person demob outta here and he was a @#$@$% anyway so I was pretty happy to see him go.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

MembersZone Subscriber

I would hope that guys going over there as FF's would already have training.
    We do--everyone here is IFSTA/DoD/Proboard Certified Firefighter I/II, some are also ARFF trained and ALL the officers are Fire Officer 1/2/3/4 trained.

These guys are upset because in there opinion, WSI did not set up the training program fast enough.

(yeah-uhh... stop the war so we can get trained)
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

tanx for clearing that up.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Just to let everyone know, I was the one that started this thread concerning the article on the lack of PPE in Iraq, among other things that the two former Iraq FFs complained of. I posted it, only to learn the facts from FFs that are over there now. In addition, my decision to work over there will not be based on equipment or conditions over there. My decision is soley based on the fact that I want to serve my country and support our military in whatever way I can, because I believe in the cause, period. To all the guys over there now that are serving there country with pride and without bitching about the poor conditions, I admire you all and hope to be serving along side you in the near future. Remember, there are people over here that appreciate what each and every one of you are doing!!

Stay safe, stay strong

Verduin

Forum Member

Littletuffy hit it right on the head. My sentiments exactly. Gotta realize that contract FFs are on the bottom rung over there; just deal with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wouldn't it have been nice if the 40 million that was used for the inauguration party was used for armor and proper PPE?

FDR spent $2000 on his party which equates to $20000 by todays standards because there was a war going on.

Just a thought and my own opinion.

Mike
    "There tends to be two types of people in this world, those who start fires and those who put them out."-Lemony Snicket

Forum Member

Originally posted by Adler9116
    Wouldn't it have been nice if the 40 million that was used for the inauguration party was used for armor and proper PPE?

FDR spent $2000 on his party which equates to $20000 by todays standards because there was a war going on.

Just a thought and my own opinion.

Mike
    The inauguration parties are funded by private donations and not the taxpayers.

Wackenhut, on the other hand is being paid by the taxpayers, answering to their stockholders and are more concerned with the bottom line than they are with the lives and safety of the firefighters working for them.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

The inauguration parties are funded by private donations and not the taxpayers.

Still would have been a nice gesture to ask that the money be donated to our men and women in that hell hole.

Mike
    "There tends to be two types of people in this world, those who start fires and those who put them out."-Lemony Snicket

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been here in Iraq since July, 2004. I waited almost 5 months before I got my PPE. But that didnt stop me from doin my job. We had enough to share, so everyone got involved. But,primarily, I was one of the apparatus operators. So, that was my job till I finally got my own PPE. Did I complain, a little, especially since many new hires came through and got PPE before I did. But you know what, they were goin to other bases that needed additional sets more than I did to complete the mission. Do we still have PPE issues...Yes...does the company "not care"..doubt it... They need firefighters to be able to perform their duties in order to keep with their contracts... and stockolders have nothin to do with it...So...someone who thinks that has anything to do with it...doesn't know what they are talkin about...especially when they mention Rumsfelds name..he has nothin to do with it either...this IS a Combat Zone...and the statement "@#$%% happens" is very real over here...One station slated to be built was destoyed during its convoy...The Customs process is also a very slow and tedious proces, as well as the shipping criteria is determined by a totally different company. There are alot of variables to be considered before someone starts the "they dont care" line..and mostly everyone who has been over here for awhile knows this..Has everything with the company been "peachy",..No...however, Most of us aren't just here for the money and have adapted and overcame to do our job...

Thread Information