Default Dispatch for PSI?

I am a volunteer firefighter and emt-b in Texas. I also have my emd. I was wondering if anyone could tell me who dispatches for Paramedic Services of Illinois. I will probably be moving to Wheaton, Ill. soon and will be looking for a job. Also what are the requirements of a paid firefighter in Illinois? I really appreciate any info.

Thanks,
    Wags

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Wags: PSI is strictly a contract medic service. They do not do any self-dispatching. Almost all EMS in Northern Illinois is fire service based. With a few execptions, the contract services even work out of and along side the fire department personnel (sometimes to their chagrin).

If you are interested in a dispatching job, DUCOMM in Glendale Heights dispatches for most of the agencies in DuPage County, and they are not far from Wheaton. NORCOMM handles the northern suburbs. Tri-Com handles the tri-cities of St. Charles, Geneva, and Batavia in Kane County. These are good, well-run agencies.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Default PSI....

PSI doesn't get dispatched by anyone. They are a provider of contract paramedics for several suburban fire departments in the Chicago area. The members are employed by PSI, but are quasi-sworn members of the departments they are working for. Some of the departments they provide medics for are Franklin Park, Norwood Park,Leyden Township,West Chicago, and Berwyn, among others. They did at one time have a 3 year committment requirement if they sent you to FF II school, otherwise you had to reimburse them for the training costs. Also, whatever you do, don't ever express ANY interest in working for the Chicago Fire Department to them, either in casual conversation, interview, ANY time. That is a guaranteed way NOT to get hired by them.

Edit: To add to JB's post,when I did my paramedic school ride time, it was with a department that had PSI medics(Franklin Park) and they were accepted pretty well. The only place I've ever heard of PSI having problems is in Lincolnwood,IL, where they have provide ALL the manpower(EMS AND fire) and there was initially some alleged grumbling on the part of their mutual aid neighbors because they are(or were at the time) a non-union outfit.
    Last edited by CDean867; 01-11-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Forum Member

Default Im not sure..

But is NorComm run by Superior-Metro?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmmmm. You might be on to something there, MIKEY. I know that Superior-Metro has a dispatch center, but I was thinking it was more south..... I could be very wrong about that however. It's been known to happen. Not lately, of course!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

thanks for the info, it greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wags
    http://www.westi-10fd.org/

Station 2 "We got it, Go Home"

MembersZone Subscriber

NORCOMM is a divison of Superior/Metro

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation DING DING DING DING

I got it-- I got it.

I was thinking of Northwest Central.

You can see where I'd get those confused, right?

Right? (Help me out here guys....)
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

we know why you're confused.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default PSI

Some other departments that use PSI are: Wheaton, Winfield, and Carol Stream.

Patrick

Forum Member

PSI, PSSI, METRO..It's all the same. Pay people less then what they are worth. Give them crummy benefits. Dress them in the uniform of the department they are working at. Treat them like second class citizens. Have a revolving door on your ambulance. I could never quite figure out why these affluent towns are so cheap to short-change their citizens. Do the taxpayers get some type of rebate? I am not blaming the medics. Most get the hell out as soon as they can,usually to a municipal job. I blame the system,the towns and yes the union locals that allow it to happen.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

MIKEY, as usual, you 100% right on the money.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Default PSI....

I don't think you can lump the three operations into the same boat. Yes, getting paid by a real fire department is preferable to getting paid by a private provider. I would, however, say that PSI is a step above the other two, based upon their breadth of experience. And some foot in the door to a fire department, even via that route, may be preferable to none at all.

Edit: After re-reading Mikey's post, I wanted to make note that many of the suburbs that use PSI have been doing so for a long time. When paramedic based fire department EMS was ramping up in Illinois, I 'm sure a great many towns looked at the time demands and training costs affiliated with making their members become medics, and PSI offered an opportunity to provide personnel immediately at a fairly reasonable cost. And your statement,Mikey, that citizens in the towns served by PSI personnel are somehow being shortchanged is just outright wrong. I have known and worked with a great many PSI medics, and even did my certification with some of them, and they are VERY good medics. They have just as much dedication to the citizens of the towns they serve as do the firemen they work alongside.
    Last edited by CDean867; 01-12-2005 at 10:33 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got to go with Mikey on this one. I currently work with a guy who spent some time with PSI. After listening to him, its no wonder they have to revolving door that they do.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

I stand by my post. If my town could aford to hire fulltime firefighter-paramedics back in 1975, ANY of the aforementioned communities can certainly do it in 2005. Dont even get me started with all the off duty fulltime firefighters that work part-time in towns that afford the same.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll agree that there are some damn fine medics working the contracts. It's a shame they didn't ever go to where the money is, regardless of the reason, be it too old, just unlucky in the civil service testing or whatever.

Revolving door? You bet. The good medics get hired full time some place and bad ones get bounced around. The contractors will take anybody with a pulse and that little green and white card. Can't fit in where you are? Okay, we'll move you over here.

There are far more schlepps that are in the contracts for the simple reason that they FAIL the civil service testing.

And all because some people love this job so much that they'll work for damn near poverty wages just to do the job. I guess I feel that's being just a bit oppertunistic on the part of the contract companies.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

And all because some people love this job so much that they'll work for damn near poverty wages just to do the job. I guess I feel that's being just a bit oppertunistic on the part of the contract companies.
    . . . and the departments that use contracts.

MembersZone Subscriber

. . . and the departments that use contracts.
    10-4 to that.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information