FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default Totals to date...

Last year I was keeping a running total of the awards and totals in each category so folks could either breath easier, or start to panic. Since DHS took it over, common sense went out the window, so they aren't providing a quick and easy Excel Spreadsheet like USFA was. So I made one.

Here's how we are to date:

Vehicles: $134,307,113.00
    Ops & Safety: $320,082,929.00
    Prevention: $4,085,877.00

Grand Total: $458,475,919.00

This leaves right around $50 million for vehicles (25% x $750 mil = ~$184 mil).

Hang in there to the nail biters.

Good luck and Stay Safe.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thank You, Brian

Dear BC79er: -Thank You, Oh great cyber-wizard that you are. We in the American Fire Service, division of neophyte grant writers, will be forever in your debt for all of the great guidance, advice, and assistance that you have provided to us all over the years. Yet one more time have you have come through for us now. This posting is the timely information that helps put our current anxieties and expectations in proper perspective; and you do it so deftly, too! One final question to you, kind Sir: Do you not think that -with the slow deliberativeness that this 2004 Grant Program is proceeding- the usual doomsday timetable of Mid-February might occur later than that, this time around? Your thoughts on that probability would be valued. Once again, Thank You, Brian.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the great & timely info. I have several depts. that are in the nail-biter catagory. One quick question, though...from everything I have read, 29 million (or there-abouts) was set aside for Fire Prevention grants...so, out of the available left, if you take away the 50 Mill. still there for vehicles and add the Fire Prevention monies...do you think it will still end up around March as the past several years?

On the note of FP&S grants, I had read only about 250 apps were received. Have you heard that info? And is it correct? When I read that, it estimated that less than 1% had applied for the Fire Prevention grants, and a large percentage were anticpicated to be funded. Hopefully, that is accurate info. Any thoughts?

I know from my depts. I work with only about 5% applied for FP, and sometimes that is after me really urging them to see the big picture and not scoff at monies for Fire Prevention. Most of them have little if any FP budget currently.

THANKS, again...

District Chief

Captstanm is also biting nails. We are in desperate need of a replacement for our 31 year old aerial. In the past year the city has doubled in size and we have an additional 3000 homes on the brinjk of beginning construction. Additionally we recently annexed areas that have over 1000 homes already built.

Our current aerial is old and in my opinion unsafe. In fact the testing company all but said they would not certify it again no matter what repairs we make after they inspect it.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have Dear John letters gone out on Fire Prevention Grants?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not aware of any DJ's for FP grant. It's my understanding that they will start being awarded this month sometime.

Forum Member

Default FP&S grants

We clicked the send button on the last day (always the case here) and we had a number of 2700 something,,,bout 10 times the rumored 250 apps if their numbering system is the same as the AFG system which I believe is correct.

The grants support web site shows an award target of January. So it seems they are on track. I read a post where someone got the questions already for a FP grant. I bet the holiday delayed things.

We were awarded a vehicle grant in round 10 and are hoping to join the (narrow) band wagon for an 05 radio request along with replacement scba bottles that have reached the end of service life. Any word on '05 guidance doc yet?

Thanks for all the shared info, you know who you are!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, the original target date was Nov/Dec - per USFA's site. It was later updated to say Jan 05.
    I am attending a workshop later this month out in Missouri that is Dept of Justice, DHS and FEMA and supposedly, we are to get some guidelines. If so, I'll gladly share any changes with everyone on the forums.
    The Fire Grant website is showing no dates for workshops (FREE) yet.

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

We have 05 grant workshops scheduled in Illinois. I'll be going to one in early February for my area.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Here is some information that my Ohio Congressman shared with me when I was inquiring on our grant status in December. DHS told him that there would be 37 rounds, that puts the last one March 4, 2005 I asked about grants at the holiday Fridays, and they told him yes there would be, and we have seen that there were awards then, so it appears his information was good.I know that some on here have told of getting a " dear john " letter does anyone know how many have been sent out ? We like a lot of you are nervously awaiting that 10 question letter. We are 1 for 3 so far, would really like to " tie up the score "

MembersZone Subscriber

How do you find out about these FEMA seminars other than what's posted on their website? (Which at this point is nothing.) I would love to be able to get in on some of them as it's not looking too positive for our grant this year. Haven't heard either way yet but starting to lose hope and want to be working on this next one soon. Thanks for any insider info you can pass along. Also, are we still looking at the last round of awards being on March 4? Forgive me for grasping at straws. BC79er - you are a great resource to us all and for that "Thank you for sharing your knowledge!"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thru Round 30:

Vehicles: $140,490,734.00
    Ops & Safety: $322,161,209.00
    Prevention: $4,116,826.00

Grand Total: $466,768,769.00

I had a break while watching my program run through 1.5 million records in the database so I figured I'd do it up now.

Ksmith: not a problem. Glad to help with metrics and after award help for anyone that needs it. Just can't give out the family secrets on project design and narrative writing, bad business ethics. Of course I'm not a real executive yet, so I'm sure they'll have my conscience surgically removed before I make it up the corporate ladder that far.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default to BC79er

BC79er: I'm sure you've provided this already but what is the breakdown by category of the funds to be given away? I know that there is a specific amount to be given in the prevention, vehicles and ops and safety. Thanks for all the info. We had hoped to get our radio grant this year so next year we could go for SCBAs as our lease is up on the equipment we now have.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Minimum to Fire Prevention is 5%, but that also includes the total from the separate FP application, so any FP grants given out over the year are above and beyond that minimum.

Vehicles is capped at 25%. I believe that it's 25% of the available grant money after administration expenses are given out, which are capped at 5%. Somewhere around $185 million is the vehicle cap.

Safety and Ops is theoretically unlimited, but both of the other two categories have always maxed out.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thru Round 32:

Vehicles: $152,654,454.00
    Ops & Safety: $333,777,017.00
    Prevention: $5,197,693.00

Grand Total: $491,629,164.00

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for keeping people updated on the amounts. There are those of us that are trying to figure out what to ask for the year. I would like to ask for a pumper to replace our 20 year old unit.
    Last edited by chaunz; 02-08-2005 at 05:12 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thru Round 33:

Vehicles: $162,067,525.00
    Ops & Safety: $342,636,999.00
    Prevention: $5,498,612.00

Grand Total: $510,203,136.00

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Since I'm so busy at work today...

Through Round 34:

Vehicles: $172,289,227.00
    Ops & Safety: $367,171,394.00
    Prevention: $6,346,071.00

Grand Total: $545,806,692

Forum Member

Default whats left

So whats that leave as far as approx awards and cash.

I'm starting to get real nervous about being the first to recieve 1199a and Questions and not be awarded.

Recieved 1199a on 9/4/2004

Recieved Questions on 10/30/04
    Replied on 11/04/04

Confirmed questions made it there and were passed on in 1/05. Checked my answers several times to make sure I didn't do something stupid like say we don't want the grant, and still no word.

We are 2 for 3 right now and this could be 3 for 4 and none of the other awards took anywhere near this long.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

About $13 million in vehicles, $166 mil total if they use the full 5% for administrative costs. I think last year they used only 2% since 90+% of the infrastructure (people costs, computer systems) is the same from year to year. If that were the case, then it adds a little bit, to $735 mil for awards, $187.5 mil for vehicles, leaving about $190 million to go.

Forum Member

Default finally

I guess I should have posted hear earlier.
    We received a phone call from our local paper stating we were awarded this round. This AM also received email from DHS.
    This year’s grant was for a facility generator and exhaust system.
    Anyone looking for successful grant narratives, we have them posted on our web site. www.williamstownfd.com. Time to get out the liquid cooled check-writing pen.
    Good luck to the rest of you who are in waiting purgatory.
    Ralph Connor
    WVFD
    www.WilliamstownFD.com

Thread Information