Post How to become a firefighter

Hello,

I'm an 18 yr old male in Santa Cruz, Ca. I really want to become a firefighter, but I have NO idea where to start. Can someone please tell me what I need to do, to become one? Also, what are the requirements?

Forum Member

Do you have ambition?
    Can you keep you yap shut and listen?
    Is there a volunteer station in your area?

If you answer yes to ALL of these, stop by the said station and ask for an application and if your answers to 1 and 2 are true then they will be glad to have you and help you get your start.

From there, its what you make of it. You can remain a Volunteer or you could pursue a career FF position or you can do some combination of both.

Good luck and check back with more questions!

Originally posted by FFTrainer
    Do you have ambition?
    Can you keep you yap shut and listen?
    Is there a volunteer station in your area?

If you answer yes to ALL of these, stop by the said station and ask for an application and if your answers to 1 and 2 are true then they will be glad to have you and help you get your start.

From there, its what you make of it. You can remain a Volunteer or you could pursue a career FF position or you can do some combination of both.

Good luck and check back with more questions!
    Thank you for the reply!!

I would definetly say yes to all of those... =p

I have a question about Volunteer positions. I'm guessing they are not paid positions, so how would it work? I work during the day and go to the station as a volunteer on weekends? Is there a requirement for how much I actually have to be at the station to possibly get a career position?

Thanks!!

Regards,
    Scott

Forum Member

I'm guessing they are not paid positions, so how would it work? I work during the day and go to the station as a volunteer on weekends? Is there a requirement for how much I actually have to be at the station to possibly get a career position?
    You guess somewhat correctly, but it depends on where you are. Some stations give you a certain dollar figure for each call you make. My dept provides what they call a clothing allowance at year end for those members who make a certain percentage of activities during the year.

As far as working during the day... so does just about everyone in the volunteer sector. You give what you can.

As for turning vol to career... that depends on your area. There are combination departments that when you can move from vol status to career if an opening occurs on that side of the house (retirement, increased staffing levels , whatever)

If there is a volunteer dept in your area, get your foot in the door and make sure you really do like it. You sound eager but if you have the opportunity in a vol. dept take it. If nothing else you are gaining experience while waiting for a career position to open up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Santa Cruz Fire Department

http://www.ci.santa-cruz.ca.us/fd/

You could even start with the CERT program which is very good.

Your Santa Cruz City Fire Department has embarked upon an aggressive public education effort designed to train interested neighborhood groups to be self-sufficient for the first 72 hours after a natural disaster occurs.( In the photograph above, CERT members free a victim trapped by debris in simulated earthquake.)

CERT training gives both theoretical and practical experiences that will prepare you, your family and your neighbors to better cope with a disastrous situation. Neighbors helping each other can make a big difference.

Experience has proven that the first three days after a disaster are critical, when emergency services might be unavailable. By teaching the basics of emergency preparedness, disaster medicine and light search and rescue, the Santa Cruz Fire Department hopes to empower individuals to feel confident enough to take control of an emergency situation and do what is best for their families and immediate neighborhood.

The CERT training is organized into four weekly sessions of two to three
    hours each. There is no charge for the CERT training or materials. We only
    ask for enthusiasm and commitment to the training.

Good luck to you.

Cheffie
    Last edited by superchef; 01-11-2005 at 04:32 PM.

Thank you so much!

Thread Information