Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Half staff flags?

Why have the flags been at half staff latelly? Anyone have a vlue someone asked me if I noticed it and I did.
    Last edited by backdraft663; 01-11-2005 at 10:30 PM.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

former FH.com member

Unhappy

one word.....tsunami.

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I think because of the Tsunami victims...........Ours is at half staff for a different reason.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

The White House ordered them to half-mast in honor of the people who died in the tsunomi disaster. Our city hall blatantly ignored the order. Some flags in the city were at half-mast, some were not. I do think that this was a very unusual order, as I don't think the disaster fit the usual requirements.

Thanks, just been wondering, I never thought of that, But why do they do it, have they ever done it before? Also ours is at half for another reason. If they do it because of that then they should do it everytime someone dies in a tornado or flood or something, I think its very odd.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

A quick search brings this:

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection -

the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and

the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Originally posted by backdraft663
    Thanks, just been wondering, I never thought of that, But why do they do it, have they ever done it before? Also ours is at half for another reason. If they do it because of that then they should do it everytime someone dies in a tornado or flood or something, I think its very odd.
    Why is your flag at half?

Originally posted by sassy1

Why is your flag at half?
    Our Assistant Chief passed away.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Unhappy

We just lost a founding member of our VFD.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=38187
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

I personally don't agree with flying the flag at half staff for the tsunami victims.

It's never been ordered to be at half staff to honor all the AMERICANS who have been killed in the war.

Oh wait, don't tell me, they have to wait for veterans day to get their recognition.
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

Originally posted by COFire
    I personally don't agree with flying the flag at half staff for the tsunami victims.

It's never been ordered to be at half staff to honor all the AMERICANS who have been killed in the war.

Oh wait, don't tell me, they have to wait for veterans day to get their recognition.
    The flag is lowered every Memorial Day and Veterans Day for those that have served and lost their lives. Nations all over the world lowered their flags after 9-11, it is the right thing to do to lower ours now.
    Semper Fi,
    Dennis
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

The flag at my station is still at full mast. We must not have gotten the Tsunami memo. Opps.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Would not expect anything different from you cellblock! (You are such a radical!)

Seriously, I read that the Presicdent ordered them down for all government victims of the tsunami, but I thought what I read was from that Friday until Monday (for the weekend). They still continue to be down in some places and up in others.

In any case, I also feel it is appropriate for us to do so as someone pointed out. All other nations dropped their flags after our tragedy and it is only fitting for us to pay the same tribute.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member
    I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am!

Originally posted by cellblock
    The flag at my station is still at full mast. We must not have gotten the Tsunami memo. Opps.
    On a serious note: I've often wondered what the official notification channel is for lowering flags to half staff. Is somebody in the organization responsible for keeping up with all Presidential/state/etc proclamations? Can someone here educate me a bit?

jeff
    sdg

Originally posted by j2brown

On a serious note: I've often wondered what the official notification channel is for lowering flags to half staff. Is somebody in the organization responsible for keeping up with all Presidential/state/etc proclamations? Can someone here educate me a bit?

jeff
    sdg
    Just listen to the news or read the newspaper.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information