Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Academy

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Academy

Hello All,

I start the Fort Myers fire academy in June. Wondering if anyone can offer some information so i can be better prepared. I work out regulary, and have 9 years of out of state training and experience. I am not affiliated with any local department yet. I should be a medic soon, as i challenged the test the other day.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Default don't think i would

tell any one in class about how many yrs. exp. you have just go in and try not to be a hot shot. Get a new IFSTA manual ahead of time if you can to read before class begins would help also, alot of things have changed in 9 yrs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info fireflymedic,

I agree alot has changed in 9 years. I am leaving my past experience at the door. I understand that means nothing now. I am very excited to begin and start learning. I was just trying to give an overview of myself for the posts. Thanks for the text book reference.

Clearview82

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Visit to FLa

Clearview,

Congrats on your appointment to the F.D. I enjoy hearing these stories as I know this must be a dream come true. I am a volly from Michigan and will be in Ft. Myers End of March first of April with my 12 Year Old Son. I wondered if you could give me a few tips. I'm looking to do some fishing or other outdoors sports with my kid instead of the same old tourist "stuff". If you could point me in the right direction I would appriecate it.

Sparky1965

MembersZone Subscriber

Sparky 1965,

What's your email. I'll send you some information.

Clearview82

clearview.....get your hands on the essentials manual and refresh with it. If their academy is like the one in Ocala and others, you will also have to do first responder and haz mat to get your minimum standards.

Obviously you will not have a problem with first responder...just think like you are NOT a medic!

Good Luck
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Clearview82,
    The best advice I could give you is to make a good group of friends early. You'll want to make sure they are motivated and hard workers as this makes the best kind of study/workout group. Continue your excercise routine and run as many stairs as you can. Endurance is key! The academy is a hard course but an incredible experience. Good luck.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Thread Information