Default What should I expect?

Hey, thanks for taking your time o read my post. I have just sighned up to Liberty Vol. FD what should I expect in my years to come. I have grown up around FireFighters I just dont know what I should study, what kinds of things I am to expect on calls and what my attittude to my teamates should be. Can yu help me?

you can pick up an Essentials to firefighting book. Other than that, just be willing to learn, attend as much training as possible. Try to be active, try to make it a point to go on AFA's and other smells & bells calls where other guys don't bother showing up. Good luck!
    www.WilsonFireCo.com
    Station 20
    Peckville, Pa
    Lackawanna County

MembersZone Subscriber

show up as much as possible. learn from the senior guys, go to as much training as you can get to, and be willing to listen and sometimes do the stuff others dont want to do. Good luck.

Forum Member

Default you didn't say

state or county, we have a Liberty FD in walton co. fla. thats not the one is it?

Yea, that is the dapartment that I have sighned up to.

Never get "Enough" training. Things are always changing in the fire service, and the more you know about the changes and the more you use your skills the better off you'll be.
    Good luck, and stick with it.

Dennis

MembersZone Subscriber

Do all of these things and also remember to have some fun with this too. It is a great thing you have done joining the fire service.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

watch, listen and learn. watch what the other folks do, learn from what they've done and the things they've accomplished or screwed up. in other words, learn by example, if someone puts their doomie-flotchet in a thing-er-mer-bob and it electrocutes someone's gerbil, DON'T DO THAT! :-)

/john
    --
    John Holstein, Asst. Chief
    Danville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.danvillevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 11:29 PM.

Forum Member

I see from one of your other posts you are 18, so you are really fresh at this. The biggest thing that helped me get comfortable with being a firefighter is to just familiarize yourself with the trucks. Take some time alone go down to the house for an hour at a time and open all the bays (with permission of course) and just know where everything is and know what it does, and when you don't know ask. I just learned this week where our spare set of halogen spot lights were, in a compartment I didn't even know we had (our engine has lots of hidden compartments). The rest is just learn, and when you do make a mistake or 3 learn from that.

Jeff
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Expect what you don't expect.

I started out as a reserve Firefighter as well, it has since led me to a wonderful career that is now entering it's 7th year! All I can tell you is never be afraid to learn! That is the greatest tool any Firefighter has, the ability to take something from each day, each alarm, each brother/sister you encounter. When the others are watching TV, pick up a map book, go over every apparatus, ask questions. One of the strongest traits of almost all Firefighters is that they like to answer questions, even if they give you some trouble when you do. Don't let that discourage you from asking! They know that someday it might be you that holds their life in your hands. Education is something that is stressed in the Fire Service more now than when my Grandfather was eating smoke, because of the different tasks we are asked to execute. Go to school, utilize classes in chemistry, construction, science, EMT, even (I know this is a sore spot) Customer Service. How you begin your career will determine how you will end it and hopefully you will end it making a mark on another young Firefighter's beginning. Good Luck and stay safe!

Thread Information