Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Computer dispatch/reporting systems

Without getting into the "technogeek" speak...

What brand of fire incident dispatch/reporting system does your fire department use, and what type of computer system (PC or Mac)?

Good points?

Bad points?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I've been exposed to a couple of systems. Astra, we use PCs in the stations and in the dispatch center. Not bad, but seems to require a lot of keystrokes. No mouses with our Astra system. Astra has integrated everything from company inspections, dispatching, roll call, reporting, ems reporting, training, etc. One big complaint I have is if I have entered roll call "exceptions" (Astra term) for an individual (scheduled for training, time off, etc.) and that person is transferred to another company, all that info disappears.
    I've also been exposed to Spillman. This seems to be a law enforcement tool that has allowances made to accommodate fire. I don't really like the Spillman. It is UNIX based, but can be accessed by a PC, and with the proper software, uses a mouse. Spillman seems to be playing catchup as far as their fire application is concerned, but it just may be the way that system where Spillman is used has evolved. (Spillman, based out of Utah, but is reported to be strong in Indiana)

Thread Information