Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default AIRBAG resource manual??

I did the seach and the only thing I came up with is the Homaltro guide, which is $200 each. I work for a large department and realize we need something as a resource. Our department probably isn't gonna spend ANY money on it.

Does anyone know where I can get a comprehensive guide for less? Or, where I can get it online? I would not mind trudging through the information and making up my own manual for our department.

Thanks

Post "Airbag Containment Devices"

SCOOBY14B:

Do you seek a guidebook on "Vehicle Air Bag Restraints" OR "Air Lifting Bag Systems" in your search?

Although I don't completely agree with all conclusions in this post, it is GOOD information about "Airbag Containment Devices" and I have copied it here for you. This may save you alot of time looking up similar information elswwhere.

Good luck and be safe!

EEResQ
    KY

PS, If your topic is "Air Lifting Bags" try to locate a copy of:

OPERATION, PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE AND PARTS SUPPORT MANUAL

FOR

MAXIFORCE AIR LIFTING BAG SYSTEMS

1 OCTOBER 1995

Hint: This is a "Mil.Spec." type manual and your local distributor probably has several copies in his/her literature files.

POST BY:

Ron Moore

Talking about Airbag Containment Devices again

Just a friendly reminder about airbag containment devices. Received this question from an officer who was planning on buying some for his department. "We are a combination dept. in southwestern lower Michigan. My Department is looking into purchasing an air bag cover, but we have some questions concerning the real world use of them. I would appreciate any input.

Here's my reply;

Regarding airbag containment devices, take my advice and forget it! You're wasting Dept time and money.

Time and time again, I receive stories, get images sent to me, and have even personally witnessed tests where these devices fail. The problem is, in the U.S., our steering wheels are designed to deform as an injury reducing action.

Well, when the airbag containment device depends on this ring to remain intact and rigid, failure of the steering wheel means failure to contain the airbag.

I claim that your crews are actually more at risk with the device in place because of the false sense of security the device presents to rescuers.

In addition, they are not guaranteed. They are not UL listed. They are not approved by any auto manufacturer. In fact, NHTSA and the automakers specifically advise NOT to place anything within the airbag's inflation zone. So, when something goes wrong and the bag deploys, and the contanment device fails, it's your unapproved device that actually wacked the patient who is now suing you, not the airbag itself. You introduced equipment into the inflation zone against the advise and recommendation of the automakers and now I believe your dept has taken on additional liability.

Besides, they only cover the driver's bag. Some cars today have 12 airbags. It's not unusual to arrive at a crashed car with 4 bags per vehicle due to the side-imapct systems being installed.

Forget it. Forget it. Spend your money on a cordless recip saw, some struts, or something the crew can actually use.

Shutdown power -

Identify airbags: deployed and loaded -

Remain clear of the airbag inflation zones -

Get 'er done!

Ron Moore,
    University of Extrication
    Firehouse Magazine

Last edited by EEResQ; 01-13-2005 at 03:45 AM.

Sorry, I am talking about supplemental restraint systems. Airbags IN cars.

Post "Vehicle Supplemental Restraint Systems"

While the Holmatro guide is a very good resource, as you have discovered, it is also costly. As a more reasonable alternative, you may wish to purchase a copy of
    "VEHICLE RESCUE & EXTRICATION" 2nd Ed., 2003,
    by Ron Moore.

I have been using his text since it was first published in 1991. Even in that 1st edition Moore devoted 5 full pages to the SRS topic. Now, in this 2nd edition, the entire first chapter is devoted to "NEW TECHNOLOGY" and the first section is 35 full pages that, by itself, would make an excellent SRS training manual for rescuers.

While I don't recall how much I paid for it, (around $40 I think), I purchased my copy from Mosby-Jems at FDIC, 2004.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck and be safe.

EEResQ
    KY
    Last edited by EEResQ; 01-13-2005 at 05:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

Does anyone know if this can be purchased on CD rom and put on a trucks laptop? And where it can be purchased book or cd, I can't find it on any websites??

Post "VEHICLE RESCUE and EXTRICATION" 2nd Ed.

Yes, they publish a CD rom as well. However, it is more of an instructor's resource than an operational guide. Here are the ISBN's:
    0-323-01833-5 (Textbook)
    0-323-01834-3 (CD ROM)

If your local source for fire-rescue training materials doesn't carry this text then try going direct to the publisher "ELSEVIER - MosbyJems":

MosbyJems 1-800-545-2522
    (ask for Jeffrey Leber, Special Markets)

Or hit their website at:

http://www.mosbyjems.com

Good luck and be safe!

EEResQ
    KY
    Last edited by EEResQ; 02-07-2005 at 10:44 AM.

If you're talking about a manual that tells you which cars have which air bags in which locations and where the battery is, then the only choice you have is the Holmatro book.

It's unfortunate that it costs so much and that you have to buy a new one every year to keep up with the changes, but for now it's the only game in town.

I thought I remember them saying a few years ago that they would offer updates every year but I haven't seen it offered yet.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another Option?

Scooby14B-

You can visit a local automotive collision facility and inquire about what they do with their old estimating books. Most shops use Mitchell Estimating Guides and these guides are where the Holmatro book originated from. These guides are updated every six months and are usually used to back up their computer system. Now each manufacturer has a volume and they are quite heavy, however you stated you were willing to make up your own book. Hopefully the shop will donate them to you and your Dept. Also, there are air bag guides specific to each manufacturer.
    These collision facilities are a great resource to gather information from. Develop a relationship with one and ask them if you can visit to study and take pictures of vehicles with varying damage in different repair stages. During some repair processes the entire interior is removed and exposes vital components that we need to be aware of. If you have any questions or can't get any guides, email me and I can get you some.
    Todd D.Meyer
    Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One
    tmeyer@piercefire.org

Thread Information