Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default KME Heavy Rescues

I've searched but unfortunatly, KME is too short of a word to search for and Kovatch didn't yield many results. Now for my question. My department just put out bids for our new heavy rescue and of course, guess who came back lowest...KME. I've heard of problems with KME ladders and engines, but I've never really heard anything about their rescues. Anybody have any reviews or comments on these? Both good and bad....but more especially the bad opinions...thank you.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Default Keeps Mechanics Employed

If you call Philadelphia to ask about their KME rescue, be prepared for about 5 minutes of heavy laughter, followed by "NO! DON'T DO IT!"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

The nader bolts fall off the doors on our KME engine.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

We have a four year old KME ladder (that I had nothing to do with getting) I am however on the committee for two new pumpers. I have been threatened with bodily harm by some in the membership if we end up with another KME. But you did ask so here is their web page with deliveries to departments you can contact. http://www.kovatch.com
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Keeping
    Mechanics
    Employed

Exclamation

mglax13,

Yes, called Philly and get an ear full of why they do not like kme.

Most any one who has one has had a lot of problems with them. They do not stand up to evry day use. You pay for what you get.

I would look at Pierce or Seagrave for a heavy rescue. You won't go wrong.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out SVI in Loveland Colorado. www.svitrucks.com They do excellent work.
    Last edited by lance38; 01-13-2005 at 04:15 PM.

K K
    M Mart
    E Engineering

Two neighboring departments have KME trucks. One is a platform, the other is a stick. Both have alot of down time. The department with the platform had an incident shortly after delivery where they backed the truck into the station. The worst part...a big piece of bondo fell out of the body where it had been repaired...on a new truck. They also had a lot of problems with rust in the turntable.

Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

When my department purchases new vehicles, or equipment, we require them to provide a list of 100 deliveries to establish a history and to use for references. Now, while they could do it, I can't see any company being able to give you a list of 100 or so departments that have not had a single negative opinion of their company.

Or, you could do like I do when I purchase things from salespeople, and that is to ask them what positive references they have and what negative references they have. Some salesmen actually get quite offended at that. But, hey, it is my money and I want to know what you have done that has not gone right too!

ROFLMAO!!!

All I have to say is to try another search, except with Philadelphia or Philly or try one of the other acronyms for KME that were posted here........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We have had a KME heavy rescue in service now for 5 1/2 years. This unit runs on the average 200 calls per year. As stated in earlier posts, the only serious issues we experienced were with vendor supplied equipment;battery charger, light tower, p.t.o generator and a strobe arrow stick.
    The other KME related issues were with a small amount of aluminum corrosion, minor leaks and problems with the door latch mechanisms, all of which were taken care of by KME.
    For the most part, our rescue has been a reliable unit and we are pleased with its performance and the service we received whenever a problem did arise. Again, as I stated in earlier posts, NO manufacturer builds a completely problem free vehicle 100% of the time. While researching other departments as we spec our new engine, we discovered that all makes have issues from time to time. I was shocked to hear how some of the 'elite' brands have had their share of problems too. One station we visited wished they could give away their '96 Seagrave stick because of the myriad of problems and failures they had with it since new (their town owns it;they're stuck with it). If you're still unsure, ask your KME sales rep or sales engineer for references. Good luck with whatever your company decides to do.

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

Originally posted by firenresq77
    ROFLMAO!!!

All I have to say is to try another search, except with Philadelphia or Philly or try one of the other acronyms for KME that were posted here........
    I am proud of your new found restraint.....LOL

Originally posted by PFD109NFD107

I am proud of your new found restraint.....LOL
    Stalkers.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 1998 KME Heavy Rescue on a Frieghtliner FL80 Chassis. It has an 18' walkin box and also carries 300 gallon of water with a small pump and a PTO generator. The truck makes about 100 runs a year some of them as long 15 miles. So far we have had thre problems with the truck a compartment open light that would not shut off because of a bad wire and a vacuum line that came off on the Cummings engine (terrible pick up like that). The heater core in the back box let go and had to be replaced.

Things we don't like

The shelfs are not that easy to adjust.
    Cribbing compartments latches seem to give a lot of people trouble although I really don't know why.

Good Points
    Compartments are bright and well lit.
    Roll out trays and shelves work well.

Truck has worked well for us so far no big problems.

The biggest complaints I've heard about KME recently is that the newer rigs are having significant Electrical problems. We have not experienced this, this is just what I've been hearing from other depts. Someone mentioned SVI in a previous post, they make top notch rigs, really a quality product. Saulsbury also all but invented the rescue rig of today, unfortunately they have been gobbled up by E-one so you will get to remount that great rescue in a few years if you plan on having the rig long term.

Originally posted by nmfire
    The nader bolts fall off the doors on our KME engine.

I witnessed the same thing on one of our E-One Cyclone II's...
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default KME heavy rescue

We ahve a 1999 KME heavy rescue. Had problems but all minor and fixed ASAP by KME. Here is a link to see that rescue.

www.freewebs.com/mcfire/currentapparatus.htm

Thread Information