Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default roll up vs. lap doors

back again looking for opinions on apparatus details. whats the deal with roll up doors for us in the north where road sand is an issue? does it really bother? also, how are waterous pumps?

it's probably been discussed before, try the search button.

however, in case you chose not to, i would go with rollup doors, easier to open when space is limited, as well as less chace of them opening if the locking mechinism fails.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Im going to say swing doors, we have trucks with both, granted if ur in a tight ally, siwng doors arent good, but with roll up doors you loose space in the upper compartment were the door has to roll. Also the roll up doors after years of use become difficult to open.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

While I like the roll-ups I would recommend not getting them. They require more maintenance, especially up here in the Northeast with the winter sand. And in my opinion, they take up more space in the upper part of the compartment for the door to roll up into.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CrossBro1
    While I like the roll-ups I would recommend not getting them. They require more maintenance, especially up here in the Northeast with the winter sand. And in my opinion, they take up more space in the upper part of the compartment for the door to roll up into.
    It totally depends on the type of door that you purchase (more than one manufacturer) - we love the roll up doors on our aerial truck - hate them on our CAFS truck. different manufacturers. Rom doors on the aerial and Dover on the CAFS. We get all sorts of climate changes here (currently -35 celcius) never had a door freeze and in the summer 100kmph wind dirt storms never clogged a door. Minimal maintenance has been required.

How many regular doors have been ripped off on the side of buildings? 3 for us if a guy leaves the door open and you start driving, its hard to see the thin profile of the door in the opposite mirror - that is until its bent!

Dave

Forum Member

I live in northern alberta so I can tell you that the roll up doors will be fine. Our fire/rescue pumper is a 1999 and we have not had any problems yet, they are very low maintaince. How can you beat not having to swing a door open and it being in the way.

Originally posted by CrossBro1
    What he said.

That, and you're looking at $600+ each... it adds up fast. Next go 'round, I'd just get standard "rescue locker" doors.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information