Forum Member

Thumbs down Prince Harry In A Nazi Uniform!!

Yeah he needs a break! Someone needs to break his butt.

I take this as a very offensive thing he has done.

I bet the Queen sure is pleased with this dip wearing a Nazi uniform to a party. Of course he probably never had any training that the Germans bombed the hell out of the English during World War 2.

Make you wonder what young people are thinking these day!!!

Britain's Prince Harry "deserves a break" after his apology for wearing a Nazi uniform to a costume party, his aunt, the Duchess of York, has told CNN.
    Harry, third in line for the British throne, was pictured on the front page of Thursday editions of Britain's The Sun newspaper wearing a swastika on his sleeve at the party. The 20-year-old was also holding a drink and smoking a cigarette.
    "The thing is that sometimes we all do things where the ramifications of our actions are perhaps afterthoughts," the duchess -- Sarah Ferguson -- said on "American Morning."
    "It's all very well to come down hard on him, but he's been through a lot, and I fully support him 100 percent.
    "I hope the world accepts his apology," she said. "He deserves a break, really."
    The Sun released its front page Wednesday night to media outlets, and the Clarence House press office released Harry's apology shortly afterwards. In it, the prince said he was "very sorry if I caused any offense or embarrassment to anyone.
    "It was a poor choice of costume and I apologize," the statement said. (Full story)
    Ferguson, who is divorced from Prince Andrew -- brother of Harry's father, Prince Charles -- said her nephew is "a great, great boy" and "first rate."
    "His mum (the late Princess Diana) would be so proud of him," she said. "I know what it's like to have bad press. I had it for quite a long time. ... The thing is: He's apologized."
    Not everyone was as forgiving. Former Buckingham Palace press officer Dickie Arbiter told CNN Harry's choice of costume would be "very much an embarrassment to his father."
    "He should have realized that wearing Nazi uniform as member of royal family is just not a starter," said Arbiter, who also said a written apology was "not enough" and Harry should "come up front."
    "He needs a good dose of army discipline given by people he doesn't know ... and perhaps then grow up."
    Rabbi Marvin Hier of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles said it was "inexcusable for a member of the royal family to do that" and called Harry's action "a disgrace to England."
    "I think he should join the British delegation that is going to 60th anniversary of the liberation of (the concentration camp) Auschwitz," he told CNN.
    "He should be part of delegation and stand in silence. And that would transmit to world that he gets it."
    Robert Rozett, director of the library at Jerusalem's Holocaust Museum, appeared more disappointed than angry about the royal flap and said he was happy Harry had quickly apologized.
    "Of course, the Holocaust is representative of man's greatest evil and collapse of morality in human civilization," Rozett told CNN, "so when Prince Harry wears it ... it indicates the lessons of the Holocaust have not entered into his understanding or consciousness.
    "We would hope that figures like Prince Harry would be more sensitive and not trivialize it. ... We would suggest that Harry and others would do well to learn more about the subject, be more careful about how they use the subject in public."
    Some on the streets of London, though, agreed with Harry's aunt.
    "I like the lad, and I think people tend to batten down on to him. It's not fair really," one woman said.
    "I think if I was Jewish, I might feel a bit upset about the fact, but all the same, people need to take in the context it's in, and he obviously didn't mean anything by it."
    The Nazis murdered 6 million Jews and millions of others including Poles, homosexuals, Soviet prisoners and Gypsies. Millions more were imprisoned or forced to work as slaves.
    Harry's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, is commemorating the 60th anniversary that day by inviting Nazi death camp survivors and British veterans who freed them to a reception at St. James's Palace.
    She also will attend a Holocaust Memorial Day national commemoration at London's Westminster Hall with her husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.
    The Sun said Harry wore the desert uniform of Gen. Erwin Rommel's German Afrika Korps to a party in Wiltshire, west of London, on Saturday.
    The photo shows him wearing a swastika armband and a badge of the German Wehrmacht, or defense force, on his collar.
    It's not the first time Harry has been in the public eye with a not-so-royal sheen.
    Three years ago, his father Charles sent the 17-year-old Eton student to a rehabilitation clinic to warn him of the dangers of drugs after discovering he had smoked marijuana and allegedly drank alcohol.
    Harry is in line to the British throne after his father and his older brother, Prince William.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

All the privilages of wealth
    Everyone waiting to jump on you for your every mistake
    Shockingly ignorant despite a (supposed) excellent education
    Poor decision making skills

Not much of a life, really. Money didn't buy him some of the things this fellow needs. We all make mistakes at 20 years old but his get much more attention and with his wealth and connections he can make (sometimes) worse mistakes than your average young adult. In reality, the only thing that saved this fellow's butt was bodyguards, Daddy and a PR team. As long as they are around, he will continue to need "rescuing" from his own stupidity. Sad.....

Forum Member

While I will say that it may have been in poor taste, does this mean that no one can ever dress up again as a WWII German Soldier? I think a lot of people get a bit over zealous about this stuff. While the atrocities the Germans have done are horrific by their very nature, there is much more to things than just the concentration camps.

For that matter, no one should ever dress as a Japanese soldier or Rikusentai due their atrocities commited in the Pacific, China, Korea, Indochina, the Philipines, Burma, and other areas.

I just think a lot of people get a bit overworked about this stuff. You didn't see this type of outrage when certaind groups compared George Bush to Adolph Hitler did you? How selective.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Sharkie....He was wearing the Nazi Party Armband...and in my mind he was not dressed as a German Soldier but as a Nazi "proper"....as you know there was a differance between the Waffen SS and the Whermacht. The costume this jag off was wearing resembled the early days of the Nazi party....Tan Shirt (Brown Shirts) and Red armband w/ the Swastika.....all he was missing was the black shoe polish under the nose....
    IACOJ Member

IACOJ BOD

Having served as a soldier in Her Majesties New Zealand Armed Forces, YES, I take umbrage at his actions.

On the day of enlistment we swore an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen, and then to New Zealand, our country. Our highest and first obligation was to the Queen. By dint of that, her family follows as they are the heirs to the throne she holds.

During World War II she, as the Princess Elizabeth, refused to leave Buckingham Palace in London during the boming of the Blitz, even enrolled as a junior rank in the Air Force, and stayed with the rest of the people taking her chances.

How many 100,000's of us died from the colonies of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, South Africa, and all the other Commonwealth nations to defeat the Nazi party from 1939 to 1945.

Now a Future King wears the symbol of that party, to a party for FUN. One day I may watch my son join the military if he chooses to. He may even take the Oath to this same man as the King.

NOW, is it not so bloody funny or forgivable.

Think about your Presidents son showing up to a party dressed as Osama, got the concept?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Well said Kiwi! As another "Commonwealth Soldier", my oath was as yours: ".... To the Queen and ALL her heirs..." then to the rest of the world - in that order.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for "Good Decisions"...... (MINUS)10!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Waste of Oxygen

Privileged Ar#ehole--thousands upon thousands of fighting men went to their deaths to keep this jerk, and his family, in a mollycoddled life--members of my ethnic group met their end in a gas oven.

As it has been mentioned before-let Bushes son turn up at a party dressed as Osama---bl00dy hilarious.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down What?.................

Who Cares what ANY "royalty" does. The Royalty thing is the last true remains of the world of Dinosaurs. They put their pants on one leg at a time, just like me. They are NOT anyone special, and the entire thing is a silly waste of time and attention. Do away with that system, and the world can pay attention to things worthy of note. But then, what else could you expect from a place where people still drive on the wrong side of the road.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Waste of Oxygen

Originally posted by Tooanfrom
    Privileged Ar#ehole--thousands upon thousands of fighting men went to their deaths to keep this jerk, and his family, in a mollycoddled life--members of my ethnic group met their end in a gas oven.

As it has been mentioned before-let Bushes son turn up at a party dressed as Osama---bl00dy hilarious.
    Ummmm...

The Bush twins are girls.....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

IACOJ BOD

Do they have beards?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Default Re: What?.................

Originally posted by hwoods
    Who Cares what ANY "royalty" does. The Royalty thing is the last true remains of the world of Dinosaurs. They put their pants on one leg at a time, just like me. They are NOT anyone special, and the entire thing is a silly waste of time and attention. Do away with that system, and the world can pay attention to things worthy of note. But then, what else could you expect from a place where people still drive on the wrong side of the road.
    Now that's a comment (or two) to which I take umbrage! Having the Royal Family is part of MY heritage, and while their reason for being may no longer be as valid as it once was, it is still part of my history, and my country's history!
    I'm sure if I took pot shots at the United States' history, stating parts or all of it were no longer valid and a silly waste of time, you'd be all over me like plaid on a pipe band!

To top it off, to state that you (because you do NOT speak for me!) couldn't expect anything worthy from a country "where people still drive on the wrong side of the road" (your quote) is insulting and chauvinistic. Just because things are done differently in another country or part of the world, does not mean it is wrong, it is just different. Not better, not worse, DIFFERENT!!!
    Grow up, open your eyes and look at the rest of the world. You (as in the collective of US citizens) have every right to believe that your country is the best, but don't be so narrow minded as to think that the rest of the world is going to see it that way. Belieiving the the US is always right, and the rest of the world is wrong,is going to set you up for a very nasty fall one day!

Respectfully,

Pat
    Last edited by CommDiva; 01-14-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Forum Member

Oh, and just to throw my 11 cents in regarding the original reason for this thread, I think Prince Harry's actions were reprehensible and an insult to everyone. Personally, if he were my son, he'd get pretty swift kick up the a*se, and a cuff around the ear! Even if he wasn't a Royal, he has brought shame upon his family. As a 20 year old (so called) man, he is old enough to know better, in fact, ANY 20 year old should know better!!
    Last edited by CommDiva; 01-14-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    While I will say that it may have been in poor taste, does this mean that no one can ever dress up again as a WWII German Soldier? I think a lot of people get a bit over zealous about this stuff. While the atrocities the Germans have done are horrific by their very nature, there is much more to things than just the concentration camps.

For that matter, no one should ever dress as a Japanese soldier or Rikusentai due their atrocities commited in the Pacific, China, Korea, Indochina, the Philipines, Burma, and other areas.
    You've got to be joking.

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    I just think a lot of people get a bit overworked about this stuff. You didn't see this type of outrage when certaind groups compared George Bush to Adolph Hitler did you? How selective.
    I have thankfully heard much outrage over that sort of comparison.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Having served as a soldier in Her Majesties New Zealand Armed Forces, YES, I take umbrage at his actions.

On the day of enlistment we swore an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen, and then to New Zealand, our country. Our highest and first obligation was to the Queen. By dint of that, her family follows as they are the heirs to the throne she holds.

During World War II she, as the Princess Elizabeth, refused to leave Buckingham Palace in London during the boming of the Blitz, even enrolled as a junior rank in the Air Force, and stayed with the rest of the people taking her chances.

How many 100,000's of us died from the colonies of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, South Africa, and all the other Commonwealth nations to defeat the Nazi party from 1939 to 1945.

Now a Future King wears the symbol of that party, to a party for FUN. One day I may watch my son join the military if he chooses to. He may even take the Oath to this same man as the King.

NOW, is it not so bloody funny or forgivable.

Think about your Presidents son showing up to a party dressed as Osama, got the concept?
    Well, luckily Harry will never be King, unless his brother dies childless before taking the throne.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: What?.................

Originally posted by CommDiva

Now that's a comment (or two) to which I take umbrage! Having the Royal Family is part of MY heritage, and while their reason for being may no longer be as valid as it once was, it is still part of my history, and my country's history!
    I'm sure if I took pot shots at the United States' history, stating parts or all of it were no longer valid and a silly waste of time, you'd be all over me like plaid on a pipe band!

To top it off, to state that you (because you do NOT speak for me!) couldn't expect anything worthy from a country "where people still drive on the wrong side of the road" (your quote) is insulting and chauvinistic. Just because things are done differently in another country or part of the world, does not mean it is wrong, it is just different. Not better, not worse, DIFFERENT!!!
    Grow up, open your eyes and look at the rest of the world. You (as in the collective of US citizens) have every right to believe that your country is the best, but don't be so narrow minded as to think that the rest of the world is going to see it that way. Belieiving the the US is always right, and the rest of the world is wrong,is going to set you up for a very nasty fall one day!

Respectfully,

Pat
    Actually studies have shown that due to the way the human brain is wired, driving on the left actually is more dangerious then driving on the right. Nothing there should be taken as insulting or chauvinistic.

Now I figure that the only thing that could be thrown in our face that one could see as antiquated that we have stuck to as Americans is the Death Penalty. The funny thing is the normal British liberal arguement against our capital punishment system is the 5-15 years that someone might sit on death row, as cruel to hold over the condemned's head. Well even there, we are much more caring then most, when the UK abolished thier death penalty just a few years ago, they carried out the sentance of death withen two weeks! No chance for appeal, while we provide many years and many chances for a writ of habeas corpus, something never allowed for the condemned in the old world.

Long live the Queen! Because her heirs are not worthy!
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 01-14-2005 at 04:42 PM.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: What?.................

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Long live the Queen! Because her heirs are not worthy!
    Thanks brother, you got that one right!!

Pat

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Originally posted by toandfrom:
    Privileged Ar#ehole--thousands upon thousands of fighting men went to their deaths to keep this jerk, and his family, in a mollycoddled life--

Privileged yes, mollycoddled, not all of them, Both Lord Mountbatten and Prince Phillip saw action as Naval Officers in WWII.
    Prince Andrew served in the Royal Navy flying helicopters during the Falkland war. Prince Charles served as a Naval Officer, albeit not in combat. Harry was definitely wrong to to do what he did and deserves to be taken to task for it, I personally do not believe that an apology is sufficient.
    Another forum poster spoke about the death penalty issue, nobody was executed without having an appeal, and usually the Home secretary would be petitioned for clemency. However if the appeal failed and the Home Secretary denied clemency, then the sentence was carried out shortly after. I cannot remember anyone being executed two weeks after sentencing.

MembersZone Subscriber

As a British Citizen I cringed at this.... surely as the son of arguably the most photographed and famous women in the world he must of realised... we all did stupid things at 20... but at that age I was a 2 year served Fireman, I wanted to keep my job, so I behaved in a suitable way off duty as well as on. No where near as important as a Royal... surely he knew.... and WTF were his advisors/Bodyguards thinking?? they need their asses nailed to the floor if they knew of this.

Hwoods,
    CommDiva has pretty much given you my opinion....
    but may I say, our Countries are very close, you in the US have done very very well and we British are proud to consider you among our closest friends and allies... basically go back and we are all the same...unless you are a native American??

But whatever, when you dismiss my Country and its fine proud History in a quick off the cuff paragraph you are not dealing with someone from some dusty Backwater... Our influence is still seen and felt in every corner of this planet.

Despite only being the size of Oregon, with only 60,000,000 people, we are a big, Rich player on the World stage, think of every acheivement and technology, you will find some British influence, idea or component somewhere. Our biggets downfall is our tiny resource hungry Island.

With that comes a similar pride in the Red, White and Blue as you have in yours. Forgive me if I am a Brit who has missed the Irony here... your comments seemed half serious, I will deal with a verbal attack on my nation as I would an attack on its shores.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

You've got to be joking.
    Not joking, just sick and tired of everyone getting ****y over every little thing. While I would never do it and I still find it disgusting what he did, but that is me. I think there are many things so much more important than this to worry about in the greater scheme of things.

The kid has got to grow up and realize what is right adn what is wrong, and how to exercise good judgement - which is sorely lacking across all socio economic spectrums nowadays.

Even if he wasn't a Royal, he has brought shame upon his family.
    I see it as shame on himself. He alone made this bad choice, not his family, ergo he is shameful as he should know better. No shame for the rest of the family, only because people won't put the blame squarely on him but have to make sure it reflects upon the family.

As a 20 year old (so called) man, he is old enough to know better, in fact, ANY 20 year old should know better!!
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Frankly I agree with you, but he has the right to do as he wishes. If it offends someone then he must deal with the consequences of said action, but it is still his choice. People do lots of things that they shouldn't, but do anyway. People a lot older and wiser than him. This is one action, a bad action but still an action, so how can you judge him as a "so called" man based upon a single thing that he has done?

and WTF were his advisors/Bodyguards thinking?? they need their asses nailed to the floor if they knew of this.
    I agree with the idea about the advisors, but I son't think it is any bodyguard's responsibility to babysit anyone and protect them from theor own stupidity, unless it will cause physical harm. The United States Secret Service provides protection for the children of sitting Presidents and as seen with Chelsea Clinton and the Bush daughters, they are there to protect them, not preach to them, and there is a very good reason for this. If you pamper them or act as a parent to them, you lose their trust and have a much more difficult time protecting them and doing your job. They specifically want their adolescent charges to have as normal a childhood and life experience as possible. I am sure the guys and gals in Britain are the same in their method of operating and protecting their charges.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 01-14-2005 at 06:32 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Truckie

Stupid yes, but I'm not offended as much as some, and maybe more than others. But with his antics of the last few months, it was only time before one of his stunts overloaded his common sense. It could be just what he needed. But not to worry, if history plays out, the Royals don't get any preferntial treatment when they go into the military.
    Now as far as the swastica, and hopefully Dal or another history guru can add, wasn't it originally an ancient Indian tribe symbol? Only to be basterdized by the nazi's?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Now as far as the swastica, and hopefully Dal or another history guru can add, wasn't it originally an ancient Indian tribe symbol? Only to be basterdized by the nazi's?
    I had read or seen somehwhere that the Swastika was a ancient Germanic symbol of good luck. Either way, it has taken on an entirely different meaning.

Personally, I'd like to see the young lad join the Royal Marines. I am quite sure that they'll straighten the boy right out. Tough group of "chaps" is what I hear from everyone that I know who has served with them. Close relationship with my beloved Marine Corps as well.

Forum Member

Default history of swastika?

try this link
    history of swastika

Pat

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with what DaSharkie is saying.

EVERYONE makes a mistake or two and Harry admited to it. Heck from what I understand William even knew he was going to wear it and didn't say anything. Let's not crucify him over it. There are many other things to be concerned about in this world and a 20 year-old wearing a Nazi costume to a costume party is not the end of the world. Did he show poor judgement especially with who he is - ABSOLUTLEY!!!

I feel sorry for the kid actually.... I wouldn't want to be raised in his shoes.

Forum Member

I had read or seen somehwhere that the Swastika was a ancient Germanic symbol of good luck. Either way, it has taken on an entirely different meaning.
    It is an ancient symbol for prosperity, too. They used to put it on salt containers, as well. It's a shame that the symbol can't be treated for what it was meant to be, instead of what the Nazis made it. Remember, thousands upon thousands have unjustly been put to death under the Christian cross...but nobody seems to get upset that people still wear or display it every day.

Forum Member

Had I ever shown up anywhere wearing a swastika
    my old man would have belted me. And it would have been deserved.
    There wasn't much made him lose his temper.
    The nazis were one. Japan was the other.

Seems like Charles has done a **** poor job of parenting.

Thread Information