MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is anyone familiar with Fire Corps?

Ran across some mention of it at www.nvfc.org. Went to www.firecorps.org.

Fire Corps is a way to get citizens involved with the your department, but not as firefighters. Kindof auxillary on steroids. I think it was organized through DHS, but not sure.

Anyone have any experiences with this?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

It only launched in December, so it's still relatively new. I went to it's launching and it looks to be a positive thing for the fire service depending on your needs and the "resumes" of the volunteers in your community. For example, you can read about the bookkeeper on the website that volunteered his services so that the dept. treasurer's job (as a firefighter) was made more efficient.

It's a branch of Citizen Corps:

http://www.citizencorps.gov/

List of the other Corps:

http://www.citizencorps.gov/programs/
    Last edited by DianeC; 01-14-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default From the NVFC e-mail list

FIRE DEPT’S ENCOURAGED TO JOIN FIRE CORPS

Kicked off in December of 2004, Fire Corps is the newest Citizen Corps initiative and a partnership between the National Volunteer Fire Council, the International Association of Fire Chiefs’ Volunteer Combination & Officers Section and the International Association of Fire Fighters. Fire Corps is an exciting new program that’s ultimate goal is to support and supplement volunteer, combination, and career fire departments through the use of citizen advocates for non-operational related activities. These include fund raising, life safety education, bookkeeping, and much more. The citizens advocates help relieve the burden of these tasks from the front line providers and allowing them to concentrate more on their front line duties.

From King County Fire District 40 in Renton, WA to the Troutville Volunteer Fire Department in Troutville, VA, departments from coast to coast are signing up to be listed on the Fire Corps website so citizens can find them and join. Almost 100 programs have registered in just three weeks. But the program will only work if a majority of fire departments join, helping supplement their providers and giving as many opportunities as possible to the citizens who want to help.

“Across this nation, we are keenly aware of people with a strong desire to serve their communities and contribute their time and skills to support homeland security, and in particular their local firefighters,” Chief R. David Paulison, U.S. Fire Administrator said. “When firefighters can stand side by side with citizens in promoting fire prevention and general safety efforts, and are able to invite citizens to assist with non-emergency responsibilities, the overall security and safety of their community is greatly enhanced.”

So log in to www.firecorps.org today. There you can learn more about the program, see what departments have already joined, and sign your own department up. There is no cost to join, and all we ask is that you keep your information up to date. Join and make a new connection to your community while helping your organization.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

listed on the Fire Corps website so citizens can find them and join.
    Kind of interesting...don't your citizens know where your fire company is?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Some of us do. There is a nice big one near me with tillers and engines and firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

At least around here they don't know. We're the only incorporated town in the central part of the county and all the rural areas have our town's name as part of their addresses.

Probably once a week, we get calls from people 15, 20 miles away that assume we provide their fire protection.

Forum Member

I have been trying to get more info too...I would like to get my department involved but have not been able to find much out. I have been e-mailing the organization right and left but getting no replies. My departments 'Ladies Auxiliary' needs some massive changes, and I think Fire Corps is the way to go.

I think there are a lot of people who don't know anything about our dept. too. Some residents don't even realize that we are volunteers. They are pretty clueless...which is partially our fault, but we're working on it. Fire Corps looks promising, in my opinion. I'd like to see my whole county involved.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 01-14-2005 at 04:51 PM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

PeterNorth
    [B[/B]
    ROTFLMAO!!!

Thread Information