Thread: wildland crew

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wildland crew

I just pass ics-100 working on 200. Also passed my s-130,s-190,s-110. When do you think I should apply to a wildland crew.Also Iam not 18 until June. Also what other classes should i take that would look good on a app.

Forum Member

Default Apply NOW

especially if you are in California and looking to get on with CDF. The application period for CDF closes the end of this month.

If applying to fed agencies, the sooner the better, even if the deadline isn't till much later. They can query the list as soon as the first round closes and make selections off of that. So, even though the agency is still collecting names, the postions are already filled.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot of the vacancy announcements posted have a closing date late in the spring. But they pull the first applications after a week, and start hiring then. They tell the people they really want to hire to apply early, and they have a much better chance of getting a job.
    It may be hard to get hired if you are not 18, but if they really want you they will work around it. My brother got a permanent position at 17, but he couldn't start work until after his 18th birthday.

Originally posted by ramseycl

It may be hard to get hired if you are not 18, but if they really want you they will work around it. My brother got a permanent position at 17, but he couldn't start work until after his 18th birthday.
    It all depends on who you know. The guy who taught my 130-190 class is the chief of wildland ops here in Vegas, and he said if I applied this winter, I would be garunteed a job this summer, when I am out of school. If there are job openings then go for them, no matter what your age is, or what other training you have.
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

Thread Information