Forum Member

Default bourke Eye Shields

I am lookign into buying a set of Bourke Eye shields for my cairns 1010. As i was shopping around I noticed that there is three different color lenses. the clear, tinted, and amber. i was wondering what your input is on the color difference. i know that the amber helps in night time. but what is the plus and minus of the tinted lenses?

sunglasses

thats it.

be honest with you though I keep bourkes on my helmet pretty much as decoration. they don't protect worth a hoot. OSHA doesn't even sign off on them. i think that a trad. helmet looks out of place without them though, so i keep them on. though i do recommend locating a pair of high heat ones. you can find them at thefirestore.com. they can withstand much higher heat than a normal pair of bourkes, that way you won't have to replace them everytime it gets a bit warm.

Forum Member

bourkes are worthless. the tinted ones are stupid. I believe they are tinted to "do the work for you,": meaning instead of you going into fires and smoking them up, the company will do that for you.

if you are going to get brourkes, get the cheap ones. again, they are worthless for actual eye protection. keep them for looks only, that's the only reason I want them on my helmet. and if they melt, who cares, its for a look, not actually eye protection.

get a pair of amber safety glasses, and use them as your primary eye protection. keep the regular bourkes for looks only, but don't use them as eye protection.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

I never used the bourkes before because they rub on my glasses. I use extra wide safety glasses that fit over the specs. Amber is a good idea.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

if u really want to get them, get whatever is cheaper, after the fist job, you will probly never use them again, they get scratched and dirty, u cant even see thru them, they are pretty useless, they dont protect anything, like said above, get a pair of saftey glasses for eye protection.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

Forum Member

Yep, buy the cheapest pair you can find, put them on your helmet, wear them until they are either melted or scratched up, and then toss them in the trash. During that time, have fun fighting with them as you put your ESS goggles on your eyes so that they have some protection since the Bourkes are a waste of space on your brain bucket.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I'd have to agree with everyone else on here, I keep mine on the helmet for deceration, with a pair of ESS goggles for the real protection, don't spend alot of money on something that won't stay on there very long
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Understandably misinformed

OSHA doesn't certify them as PRIMARY eye protection. As secondary they are okay when used with safety glasses or some other form of primary eye protection.

Using the same logic one could say that faceshields are worthless as well, but it says in the product information that you are required to read that Bourkes/facshields are secondary eye protection only.

Forum Member

Default Re: Understandably misinformed

Originally posted by engine1321
    Using the same logic one could say that faceshields are worthless as well, but it says in the product information that you are required to read that Bourkes/facshields are secondary eye protection only.
    pssst: let me let you in on a little secret: faceshields ARE worthless. I've had one for 4 years, and after they get all scratched and dirty (say, your first fire), they are about as userful as a screen door on a submarine.

also they look horrible on a traditional style helmet (but that's just my opinion, and has no bearing on how much protection they give). get safety glasses, they will protect your eyes the best.

I have yet to figure out why some departments will give a member a helmet with a faceshield on it, but refuses to allow bourkes to be put on. they are equally useless.
    Last edited by DrParasite; 01-15-2005 at 10:43 PM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Who cares how faceshields look? As long as they work, besides, they're only worthless because no one knows any better to use them. The faceshield is designed to maximize protection of your face, including your eyes when used in conjunction with primary eye protection.

Forum Member

Go ahead and by em if you want.. its just decoration. I personally like the way they look on my leather but they are melted, charred and smoked up... so basically useless
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Don't go crazy over this because just as the others said, the just end up as decoration. Mine are so scratched, smoke stained and even melted a little that they are of no use other than decoration. I carry safety glasses with me for eye protection. If you are going for looks then get the basic ones.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

I will also agree that they will not hold up and will not protect your eyes. I have gone through probably six pair in my short five years of doing interior.

MembersZone Subscriber

Get yourself a clear pair. Get them smoked up the REAL way.

Forum Member

I've never seen the attraction in them. We have traditional-style helmets (Cairns 1010s) and I think they look just fine without. One of our guys put them on, and aside from the chewing out he got from every officer for drilling holes in his helmet (even in a non-impact point like the brim), he got ribbed so bad by everyone else that he eventually took them off.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

For decoration purposes only. I don't/wouldn't wear them.

Forum Member

if you do get them i reccomend amber, simply because the goggles that i use for skiing are tinted amber, in the daytime the block out glare and you can still see perfectly and at night they help bring out stuff in shadows and other dark places. dont worry about seeing in a different color either your eyes will adjust to them once they have been on for 5 min. or less.

Forum Member

I never realized how nice the helmet attached goggles are until I actually ditched my face shield and got them. What an upgrade!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Like some of the others, my Bourkes are serve 2 purposes - 1 decoration and 2 they make my helmet seem much more balanced on my head vs. one with a 4" shield... maybe that's just my melon, but hey it works for me.

The ESS goggles are what I trust for eye protection when I need it (MVA's, etc) anything else I have my SCBA on which pretty much covers eye protection.

Thread Information