Forum Member

Default For you swiftwater guys...can you say "undercut rock"??

http://kayakcarnage.com/

This is Little River Canyon in northern Alabama.
    The lack of response was already hashed out on kayaking web sites...but hey...he kept the camera rollin'

former FH.com member

Exclamation Damn thats scary!

It was hard to tell from the video but he didnt look conscious when he came out. Any info on what happened to him afterwards?

Forum Member

The video kinda lulls you to sleep and then you see that guy drop into the undercut...your heart kinda falls into your stomach for a minute.

As for the paddler...he was conscious and survived...though he feels pretty lucky...I don't know the guy, but he was responding to people's questions on a kayaking web site.

Do you paddle in the Hill Country???

Forum Member

I have to wait an hour before I watch it...I just ate.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

former FH.com member

Originally posted by kayakking
    Do you paddle in the Hill Country???
    Nope, never have. We do all of our swift water rescue training on the Comal/Guadalupe Rivers. Thanks for posting the video, I hope it opens a few more peoples eyes on here about the power and danger of moving water. -46

Forum Member

Gotta love the tube chute...you can't live in Texas and say you've never been to the comal river tube chute...practically unAmerican

MembersZone Subscriber

One of our SRT's has hundreds of hours worth of video from his youth as a guide at Wilderness Tours in Ontario. Included in that is some excellent footage of a young lady caught in an undercut on the Ottawa. She did not come out until they ran over and physically dragged her out the side. Another lucky one.

We pulled a young lady out of our local creek two summers ago who was pinned against a rock for over an hour. Fortunately for her, she had her head and chest above water, so she only suffered some mild hypothermia.

In both cases, the firt rule should have been "Know your limits".

Good footage.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

former FH.com member

Originally posted by kayakking
    Gotta love the tube chute...you can't live in Texas and say you've never been to the comal river tube chute...practically unAmerican
    We do a lot of training there and at the low-head dam just downstream. Very scenic spot when the tubers show up (we're out of the water by then)..that chute has claimed many a bikini top.

Thread Information