MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Safety Officer Helmet Color ???

Hey Gang I was trying to find out some information on the Safety Officer position. My Dept has a Deputy Chief that functions at this position now. I am trying to attend the NFA Safety Officer class. Do all safety officer's in your Dept wear White Helmets? What training does your Dept require for a safety Officer. Thanks !

Forum Member

Green
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Both of them wear white helmets with white shields of valor. They also have vests and the like.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Our safety officer used to wear orange helmets with our probie's now they just wear black helmets, same as the int. firemen.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

MembersZone Subscriber

White helmet with a green cross on each side.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Safety officer has a Blue Helmet and wears the appropriate vest stating SAFETY OFFICER

MembersZone Subscriber

"safety" orange

Forum Member

We use vests. While we have a department safety officer (a district chief/white helmet) its an administrative position. On incidents, a company officer (red helmet) or chief officer (white) is assingned as saftey sector and wears a vest.

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

A neighboring dept. that has a FT safety officer uses orange, and another neighboring POC dept. uses orange also.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

firefighters = Black
    Paramajics = Blue
    Lieutenants = Yeller
    Captains = Red
    Safety Folk = Orange
    Chiefs = White

you can identify the probies by their clean gear
    trouble makers carry mops & toilet brushes
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ===================================

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't designate with a unique helmet since the Chief Officers usually fill the role anyway.

Our neighboring dept uses a blue helmet with Safety Officer on the side, but they forget/refuse to use it half the time.

Training consists of the regular officer training program and some shadowing for junior officers.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Paramajics = Blue
    PARAMAJICS! Now thats funny

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

thanks '77 !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

There's no getting a Chief out of his white helmet.

If a Captain is Safety, he wears an orange helmet.

We have several members who have completed the NFA Incident Safety Officer class via Ohio's State Fire Academy Outreach program. Those members will usually be assigned Safety but theoretically any Captain or Chief can be assigned the position.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Since we are primarily volunteer department, do not have a "designated" officer. A safety officer is appointed at each incident by the IC from the responding chief officers or captains.
    We do have a vest, but it is usually not worn except a major incidents where mutual aid is utilized (so that the SO can be recognized by MA companies).

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Most of them around here wear orange, but our dept doesn't have a person that is designated to be safety officer. It usually falls on everyone's shoulders to watch each other.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

All current S/O's under my division wear White with identifying vests.Since I wind up being the "fill" Chief,I'm seldom in the vest.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

It should not matter the color of the helmet. Just make sure that there is a member with the proper training in that position watching your backs. The only good a colored helmet does is makes it easier for you to look around before you do something unsafe. So BE SAFE!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Well.......................

White, of Course. The Safety Officer on each incident is appointed by the IC, and is usually the third Chief to arrive (First is IC, 2nd is Operations). This serves our needs for the usual run of the mill call. If an incident escalates, a Safety Officer will be on the assignment by the time a second alarm is struck. These are people who are appointed as Safety Officers by the County. They are Chiefs as well, and quite often one will already be on the call. BTW, a large selection of helment colors is not available in our area. White for Officers, Black or Yellow (Members Choice) for Firefighters, Red for Probies, is about it. Chiefs have White coats, all others are Brown or whatever you call that PBI Color.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Every Dept. I know of in our area designates their Safety Officers' with the lighter blue color helmet. Although, I have heard that one of the most common identification mark is a green cross.

Forum Member

Our Safety Officer wears a yellow helmet so that he is different from everyone else on the fire scene. Jr. Firemen wear orange, so Safety can't have it. In my opinion Safety should not wear the same as an interior because he should never be interior during a fire. He should be outside making sure everyone is being safe about their work. Of course I don't even think he should be the same as anyone else. Safety Officer is an important position and the officer should stick out in case he is needed.
    FF/EMT

"Tioga Fire this is Owego 874...."
    "874"
    "Yeah......she's burnin'....."

Forum Member

Exclamation

Ours wear the standard color for the rank that they are. White for all Chief Officers, Yellow helmets for Captains and Lieutenants.

Don't make this position any more difficult for which it is, deciding on what color helmet should be worn! If the IC (Incident Commander) appoints a firefighter as the incident officer, this member wears whatever color helmet that they are issued. Makes no difference!

A simple announcement made on the radio on all talk groups (channels) will advise the members operating on the event, the identification of the Safety Officer.

Same things goes for the Staging Officer, Water Supply Officer, Accountability Officer and all others that are part of the system.

Don’t get hung up on a special color for helmets, turnouts for the Safety Officer. Some departments would have them wearing a Gold helmet if they could get one made or paint one if they color would hold up.

Remember the “KISS” operation - “KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID”

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Our colors are as follows:

White - Chief, Asst. Chief, Capt., Lt.
    Red - Fire Fighter and Probies, probies have a "white scotchlight stripe" under their side numbers.
    Orange - Jr. Fire Fighter
    Yellow - Kept on truck for designation of a Safety Officer, person changes helmets onscene.

Also, we have a scotchlight designation for training as well. we use small 1/2"x1/2" blocks of different colored scotchlight tape on the rear duckbill to indicate training.

2 Gold = Section 1 & Section 2 Firemanship
    2 Green = Basic and Advanced Auto Ex
    2 Blue = Awareness and Operations HazMat

We also use a solid-white-stripe above these to indicate "FF First Class", a new designation for the most senior FFs.

A small star of life is used for EMTB/P and RN's with a "p", "b" or "r" in the center.

With a single glance, we can see the name/number (numbers indicate ranking as well, <10 are engineers and officers, teens are squad leaders, 20-30 = FF/Probies, 40's are Jrs), their training level and EMS level along with the color of the helmets, etc.

I implemented this plan early last year and it's working without a hitch. It's one of those things that's being used and we don't even realize it, it just happens.

/john
    --
    John Holstein, Asst. Chief
    Danville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.danvillevfd.com

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by AsstChiefJohn
    Our colors are as follows:

White - Chief, Asst. Chief, Capt., Lt.
    Red - Fire Fighter and Probies, probies have a "white scotchlight stripe" under their side numbers.
    Orange - Jr. Fire Fighter
    Yellow - Kept on truck for designation of a Safety Officer, person changes helmets onscene.

Also, we have a scotchlight designation for training as well. we use small 1/2"x1/2" blocks of different colored scotchlight tape on the rear duckbill to indicate training.

2 Gold = Section 1 & Section 2 Firemanship
    2 Green = Basic and Advanced Auto Ex
    2 Blue = Awareness and Operations HazMat

We also use a solid-white-stripe above these to indicate "FF First Class", a new designation for the most senior FFs.

A small star of life is used for EMTB/P and RN's with a "p", "b" or "r" in the center.

With a single glance, we can see the name/number (numbers indicate ranking as well, <10 are engineers and officers, teens are squad leaders, 20-30 = FF/Probies, 40's are Jrs), their training level and EMS level along with the color of the helmets, etc.

I implemented this plan early last year and it's working without a hitch. It's one of those things that's being used and we don't even realize it, it just happens.

/john

Hey Chief, Does the guys glow in the dark? With all that stuff stuck on the helmet they may. That is an over kill. Just use what NFPA requires the helmet makers to put on the helmet.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information