Thread: i messed up

Forum Member

Default i messed up

Ok so i go to the firehouse for a pump out today. My pager is in my left front pocket of my jeans ( thats where i always keep it on calls) so when we return to quarters i take my bunkers off and everything is there. So one of the guys gives me a lift home. Ok great i get out plop on my bed about read to fall asleep and my phone rings. I pick it up and feeling for which pocket its in i realize i do not have my pager in my pocket. so i go back to the firehouse and check. its not in the rescue, and its not in my gear bag.

so im about to have a panic attack. Maybe it fell out somewhere in the house, and i didnt realize it? maybe ( most likley its in his car)

what should i do i dont have any way of contacting the guy who gave me the lift

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

what should i do i dont have any way of contacting the guy who gave me the lift

Sure you do...he's got your pager....

You have a limited number of places you could have left it, so retrace your steps. Can you call your dispatch for a pager test? Go to the area, have them page, and listen for it. I had to do this about a month ago when I dropped my pager in a front yard at night on an MVA call....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

OK. First, take a deep breath. Don't panic. It is just a pager. I can assure you that you are far from the first and far from the last person to lose one. Crap happens. If it turns up, that is great. If not, they should issue you another one. It was "lost in the line of duty" (as opposed to on vacation, at a party, at the beach, etc). There should not be a big issue. If they do make an issue out of it, there isn't much more you can do but say "I'm sorry, but I didn't lose it on purpose."

For what it's worth, I have handed out more replacement pagers in the last year than I can count. Some of them crap out. Some of them get lost. Some are dropped and damaged, one got run over. It happenes, especially to something that you might have 50 people carrying 24/7.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

yeah i just love going on calls and helping out i feel kind of bad if there is a call that i miss...lol

As a semi-update about 2-3 hours after the call e had another call auto response mutual aid to another district and on a side note, man we got the rig out fast. im usualy first there but this district is big and as murphys law played into effect this was as far away as we could get from our district...lol thankfully i have a friend in a neighboring dept who called me when the call came in so maybe i could meet the guy who has my pager in his car but he wasnt there

o well

Originally posted by nmfire
    OK. First, take a deep breath. Don't panic. It is just a pager. I can assure you that you are far from the first and far from the last person to lose one. Crap happens. If it turns up, that is great. If not, they should issue you another one. It was "lost in the line of duty" (as opposed to on vacation, at a party, at the beach, etc). There should not be a big issue. If they do make an issue out of it, there isn't much more you can do but say "I'm sorry, but I didn't lose it on purpose."

For what it's worth, I have handed out more replacement pagers in the last year than I can count. Some of them crap out. Some of them get lost. Some are dropped and damaged, one got run over. It happenes, especially to something that you might have 50 people carrying 24/7.

Forum Member

Don't feel bad..

42VTExplorer dropped his HT1250 and busted the battery off it. Whoops.

No big deal. It'll get fixed.

Life goes on, the worst that can happen is you have to purchase a replacement, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Oh God! Buy a replacement 1250? I don't know about the rest of you brothers and sisters, but that is a big chunk of change.
    They'd have to give me my old Shinwa I received when I started moons ago!

Actually, I did loose a minitor III in a swamp for a year. A hunter found it and gave it to the land owner. You belive it still worked? That is the Gods honest truth.

As long as you didn't use it for a clay. (PULL!)

That would be in reference to the old Shinwa!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Oh God! Buy a replacement 1250? I don't know about the rest of you brothers and sisters, but that is a big chunk of change.
    It's his personal radio...It was a gift to him. It happened something like this..

Walking on a driveway, was going to fall, needed both hands to grab onto something, dropped the radio, battery falls off.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I have a HT1250 myself. Do you know how hard it is not to laugh while you are trying to explain why your radio is full of water???? Mine suffered a drowning when the last Tornado hit this area. It just got rain soaked. I let it dry out, and all was fine.
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Yeah, he's gonna have a pretty big bill to pay I guess...or so I heard.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

If just the battery broke, what is the big deal? You get a new battery.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, I did loose a minitor III in a swamp for a year. A hunter found it and gave it to the land owner. You belive it still worked? That is the Gods honest truth.
    A Minitor III? No way. (Now if we were talking about a Minitor I I'd believe ya.....That brick could take a beating....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Originally posted by dmleblanc

A Minitor III? No way. (Now if we were talking about a Minitor I I'd believe ya.....That brick could take a beating....
    Hey, I wouldn't have believed it had it not actually happened to me . Changed batteries while I was laughing about how it was trashed...nope. It frigging worked sent it in to be refurbished.

Nmfire. Yes sir, you are correct. Just a little banter going on.
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

MembersZone Subscriber

I did have one of my captains lose one in a cane field and found it about a year later. Didn't work, though...Of course this same guy left his FD pager and personal cell phone on the front bumper of the engine while dressing out for a call....trashed both of those.

Ever notice how you'll have some guys who can keep a pager for years, and some others who seem to wreck a couple of them a year? Why is that? I mean, I've been carrying a fire department pager for 16 years now, and not once, not ONCE have I ever had to replace one due to damage. I don't think I've ever even had to send one in for repairs. Every pager I've ever turned back in was in perfect working condition. Am I just lucky?
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 01-17-2005 at 05:17 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Talking

Well, in a pathetic attempt to save face for having had one slip off a belt......
    I'd say you were lucky
    YGBSM!

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

the only thing worse than losing your pager on a call is losing your personal cell phone. Here we are as volunteers showing up to a car in the water... needless to say the patient self extricate, but on our initial search of the car my cell phone dropped into the water... its still worked a little... but either way i could have been $100 out because my personal property got damaged trying to help someone else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by nmfire
    It is just a pager.
    Exactly....

One of the guys on my department set his Minitor II on top of his truck when he got in to leave the station, forgot about it...of course.... then headed off down the road. It got dumped onto the grass... it was found by someone in our maitenence department. With a lawnmower. Needless to say the case was all sorts of chopped up...it still worked just fine.

Forum Member

I would have to agree with two of the previous posts, it is only a pager. You'll probably lose another one in your firefighting career. I could see your worry if you lost your $1200 portable.

ok i did that just last week so don't be up set. if the dept. is not too bad about loosing pagers they will issue a new one and be on with it.
    thats just what happened to me
    billy

Forum Member

Pagers are expensive pieces of equipment. I always issue older minitor II's to new members, just in case they do misplace it. While they are expensive, any good department understands that this equipment gets lost and damaged, it always does. I wouldn't sweat it, just let them know about it, dont hide it.

Forum Member

dont know how this thread got back up but i found it the next day in my gear bag

wasnt the end of the world

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

..and we all lived happily ever after...the end!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Don't feel bad..

42VTExplorer dropped his HT1250 and busted the battery off it. Whoops.

I know this thread is from a couple of years ago, but I just had to share this one.....Got run over by a truck on a mutual aid fire a while back.

Even the Chief screws up once in a while....caught a lot of grief over that one...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    I know this thread is from a couple of years ago, but I just had to share this one.....Got run over by a truck on a mutual aid fire a while back.

Even the Chief screws up once in a while....caught a lot of grief over that one...
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

If my camera decides to work I will show some pics of my old call .....happened to be run over by a truck as well.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information