MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Interesting Thoughts - Letters To The Editor

The first letter brings an interesting point to mind. The second... well let it be judged for itself. (for the record I am not really sure I agree with the sentiments of the writer. There is a good point to be made, but.....???)

Letters To The Editor: Our readers write: Jan.
    6 Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Station some ships in every ocean

The crisis in Southeast Asia has brought about the idea of a United Nations rapid deployment task force. As the years go by we see hurricanes, cyclones, earthquakes and tsunami. Then the UN and the world takes at least a week to organize and deploy the assistance.
    I would like to suggest that the UN take the lead and deploy an emergency vessel in each ocean, equipped with water, food tents medicine, generators and personal.

A small aircraft carrier to handle helicopters would be ideal. The countries around the particular ocean could man and operate and the vessel under the UN mandate.

These vessels would be able to be on site with day or two, if not hours. It would cut down the reaction time. If done properly I donít believe it would be more expensive than deploying the forces each and every time we have a crisis.

We have had the blue berets now since the Suez crisis. I think itís time for a UN fleet.

Jeff van den Driesen,
    Victoria.
    -------------------------
    Better to spend the money at home

I have compassion for the people in Asia who have been affected by the recent natural disaster, but I have anger towards the United States and Canadian governments for sending so much money over to the devastated area when here at home in North America we have countless people who are homeless and do not know where their next meal will come from.

It is disheartening to know that our governments who cannot even look after our own people will jump on the bandwagon and send loads of money over to another country, all in the name of saving face so that they look good to other countries.

The last I heard was that the Canadian government was sending $80 million to help the tsunami victims and private citizens and organisations across Canada had collected more than $5 million.
    How many homeless people could be housed and for how long with $80 million? How many Canadian children would have proper clothing and proper meals with $80 million? How many soup kitchens would close permanently if our Canadian government bought $80 million worth of food to feed hungry Canadians?

How many heart, kidney, or liver transplants could be given to Canadians if our government gave $80 million to help people get needed transplants?

We have some major problems in this country. People are sleeping in dumpsters and others are eating food out of other dumpsters. How about commiting $80 million to your own people before sending it overseas.

Sometimes Iím proud to be Canadian. Other times Iím not.

Corey Melchior,
    Duncan.

© Times-Colonist 2005
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default Re: Interesting Thoughts - Letters To The Editor

A small aircraft carrier to handle helicopters would be ideal. The countries around the particular ocean could man and operate and the vessel under the UN mandate.

If done properly I donít believe it would be more expensive than deploying the forces each and every time we have a crisis.
    Umm. Yea, it wouldn't be that expensive to BUILD AN AIRCRAFT CARRIER and then leave it floating in the ocean loaded with canned soup and bottled water.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-15-2005 at 12:11 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Missed The Boat...............

When there is another Tsunami, just dial 911. We respond to everything else, why not Tsunamis? Besides we mobilise in SECONDS and those other groups need days or weeks to get going. For the Record, I agree with the writer of the second letter. Why? A lot of USA Real Estate is Flooded as I type this post. Additionally, Mudslides in California have taken a serious toll, and severe snowstorms are burying the Western mountains. No other countries are rushing aid to our shores. Are They??
    Last edited by hwoods; 01-16-2005 at 12:30 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

$80 million would fund so many things it boggles the mind.
    The thing I don't quite understand (and someone kindly explain this...) is how Canada can have such a huge deficit and still manage to cough up what, to me, is a fairly significant sum in a very short time. I thought a deficit was a shortfall or debt. So if we are in debt where does the money come from? And I experience a deficit in my earnings vs debt load how come my government doesn't bail me out?

And Harve: I'd rush aid but I think we used it up dealing with the Tsunami Wait a minute, I could muster up some Kraft dinner if you don't ask too many questions. Ya want it?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Umm. Yea, it wouldn't be that expensive to BUILD AN AIRCRAFT CARRIER and then leave it floating in the ocean loaded with canned soup and bottled water.

Well, you could probably pick up some surplus aircraft carriers real cheap in a few years. Once they develop and implement the Gay Pheremone Bomb, there will be little need for conventional weapons.....

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=65729
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy & Rainbow Stew.....

Rookie, I never understood where all this money comes from when Canada and the U.S. are in a deficit either. Funny, they never could explain that in school!
    I've always thought that taking care of your own first was the way to go. Maybe we could all get together and sue, the Russian lawyer that claimed all the clouds are his property, for damages. Unfortunately, the settlement probably wouldn't cover two deficits, the disasters, and the homeless problem. So I guess I'll take some of your Kraft dinner and we can talk it over. I'll bring some free bubble-up.
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

Forum Member

I would like to suggest that the UN take the lead and deploy an emergency vessel in each ocean, equipped with water, food tents medicine, generators and personal.
    sweet! whats the pay scale? I could use the work

Honestly, the US has dozens of ships pre-positioned in different locations around the world loaded with all kinds of war cargo, from fuel to ammo to rolling stock to bullets and beans. Why not add some for disaster relief. Oh wait, the $50k+ a day it costs to operate a merchant ship might be part of it.

The US actually activated 3 ready reserve fleet ships to carry relief supplies to the region. These three ships have roughly the carrying capacity of 10,000 to 15,000 tractor trailers. Not sure what their exact mission was, probably won't know that for a while.
    IACOJ light and power detail

Thread Information