Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: college?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default college?

ok what positions are you entitled to if you do get your fire science degree or similair, i am asking becuase im going through training right now for the forestry service and at the same time going to college and getting my fire science certification, not sure if i want to go for the full degree...thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You are not entitled to anything. Getting on a fire department requires dedication and lots of work. A degree, while helpful, will most likely not be the major consideration in getting on a fire department. If you are expecting an entitlement because you have a degree, you will be left behind.

Ranking positions are earned through experience, training and education, and often testing.

If you are asking which position on a fire department you could qualify for with a degree, it is the same as someone without a degree-probationary fire fighter. Some departments, but not too many, may require a 2 or 4 year degree to apply. Regardless, you still get to start at the bottom and work your way up. However, a relevant degree, such as a business, public administration, or fire technology, may help you in the future with promotions.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 01-15-2005 at 05:16 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks, i guess i was asking more along the lines of promotion.

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot of departments require degrees to be promoted to certain positions, or degrees in progress.

Forum Member

My department, and many in the area do not require a degree for any hiring. Most dept. also do not take a degree into consideration for promotions. Usually dept. given tests, senority, and potential markings, or some combination of the above.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey nepatsfan, GO STEELERS!

Forum Member

In todays world, it's my feeling that a college degree can only help you in terms of promotions. This is especailly true if you wish to move up into a posistion that envolves adminstration, finance, policy development, long-range strategic planning, personnel management, etc.
    As the management of the fire service becomes more complex, professional and businesslike, I think you will find that degree very helpful, and as was mentioned earlier, required for promotions, especially in the larger, progressive fire departments or with any type of state or federal agency fire agency, such as BLM, Forest Service, etc.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-17-2005 at 10:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am an Adjunct Instructor at Sussex County Community College in Northwest NJ. One of the big misconceptions that I see, especially amongstudents from NJ, hat a degree in Fire Science is a stepping stone to a position on a paid job. This is not the case. I agree with the others that it will be a positive note for promotions. But let me fill you in on a little secret....there's a whole other world out there besides the fire service (gasp!).

Consider this. One of the careers that is expanding widely today is that of a Fire Protection Engineer. An FPE (Licensed in most states as a PE), is a highly skilled engineer specializing in areas such as fire spread and dynamics, fire protection system performance and design, life safety systems, explosion and thermodynamic research, fire modelling etc. Salaries are quite high. Career opportunities are in both the public and private sector. The BATFE employs FPE to conduct fire modelling of incidents. NIST employs FPE to participate in research projects. Some major cities employ FPE's to allow them to be proactive with life safety prjects. FPE's are also employed in the fire investigation field.

Another career field that a degreed individual could go into is Safety Engineering and Loss Control. These individuals are hired by insurance companies, as well as being private consultants to perform such activities as site audits, devleopment of health and safety plans, and incident investigations.

Being an FPE will require, in most cases, a Master's Degree. The other fileds can get entry level positions with Associates or Bachelor level degrees.

Remember soething about a college degree. A degree does not measure how much you know. It measures a maturity and an ability to research, and problem solve, as well as a dedication to finishing a huge project-your degree. You will develop the tools to use resources at your disposal to get the information your client needs.

If I had it to do over, FPE is definitely the route that I would have taken.

My department does not require a degree to get hired, but you need at least a 2 year degree or an equal amount of fire service or EMS training, along with a state fire officer certification to get promoted.

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thumbs up college degree

I don't know of any department that will hire you simply on the basis of the degree. A college degree will say more about your willingness to improve yourself than it will about your fitness for the job. The other thing you may want to consider is that the knowledge you recieve from the degree will be something you have for the rest of your life. It can only help you to be a more well rounded person.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Thread Information