Forum Member

Default FH.com Poll regarding radios

Does anybody else find anything wrtong with the results??????

Firehouse Fire Poll

Portable Radios

Should All Firefighters Be Equiped With A Portable Radio?

Yes 88%
    No 12%
    N/A 0%

Total votes: 4746
    Last edited by firenresq77; 01-15-2005 at 08:55 PM.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Yeah, 12% of the people need some more education.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't see a problem with the poll. All firefighters, especially ones operating inside of a structure should have a radio.

The POOL... now that is another story...

Forum Member

Originally posted by PFD109NFD107
    I don't see a problem with the poll. All firefighters, especially ones operating inside of a structure should have a radio.

fire40man hit the nail on the head........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by Fire40man
    Yeah, 12% of the people need some more education.
    The 12% need to get the hell out of the fire service!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

My thoughts exactly........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Unhappy

I can belive the numbers.....we are going through this right now. We were told to stop raising so much He## about it
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

LOL - that 12% probably all come from my local fire department, where the norm is that nobody takes a portable radio inside a stucture fire because it might get damaged

It's still a toss-up between Cellblock and Me to see who has the most firetrucked up Fire Department
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Hey Hey...........maybe the other 12% havent voted yet .......you should give them a minute....or maybe they are voting that way to sway the pool ...er poll.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Maybe that 12% are board members who don't want to spend the money. Everybody has a radio at our department, except the newbies, and they get one after about 3 months if they show that they can handle themselves.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Default Re: FH.com Poll regarding radios

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Does anybody else find anything wrtong with the results??????

Other than 12% still not getting it, nope. It looks fine to me.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

LOL - that 12% probably all come from my local fire department, where the norm is that nobody takes a portable radio inside a stucture fire because it might get damaged

I recently had this discussion with some of my guys, including the officers. While we don't have the resources to give every member a radio, we do have enough for all the officers and about half the firefighters. I am constantly reminding them that the radios are not just for reporting en route, that I expect them to carry them on the scene.

After one recent structure fire, where I had trouble contacting the team working inside, I questioned the captain as to whether his radio was working, had he forgotten it, or what. He told me that no, he didn't forget it, he left it in his vehicle because he didn't think he was supposed to bring it in the fire, lest it get damaged. I don't think that he was alone in his thinking.

Clearly we need to do some more training.

In my opinion, I'd rather replace a hundred damaged radios than have one man hurt because he had no communications. We've been trying to get more radios, usually trying to purchase a couple a year, but it's a slow process.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

ya know Dewayne .............. you are ALL RIGHT !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Equip

I have worked in two different departments. Right now everyone has a radio. Although it is handy, some people don't get the idea that it isn't a personnel paging system. I am not talking about tring to get ahold of a member or officer for Fire department related issues. I talking about hey Billy Bob are you coming over tonight to watch the WWE. This does come from the other departments on the same radio band.
    But I was also on a department that issued pagers. Every officer and EMT had a radio. There was at least 2 radios on each truck for fire ground use. Currently the department I am on is having a hard time with getting the radios to work. We are thinking about going to pagers and each firefighter keeping the radios for fire ground use. That way everyone can hear whats going on with the call while going. Of course remeber both of these departments are Volunteer. I am sure that full time have more reasons tpo have them.

I wonder how many of the 12% was more thinking about the number of people you spend their life on the radio even late into the night. Even though it would be more of a better radio policy and enforcing it, rather then not giving them.
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

On my dept not everyone has a radio yet. We just got a grant and the radios will be in soon, then everyone should have access to a radio. Will they remember to grab one, probably not at first. I don't like the 12% saying not everyone should have one. I agree with some of the other responses. That 12% must be the people on budget boards.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have recently upgraded our radio system, and we changed the way we issue communications gear in the process.

We used to have 15 radios (Mostly Motorola P1225's) and 5 old Keynote pagers. We shared a busy operating channel with our local utility operations, and some rookie FF's simply did not get a radio or pager, and rather relied on a telephone page. Now we have only 10 radios (HT 750's), but 15 pagers. This allows us to supply everyone other than Officers with a Mintor IV pager. The reasons for the change were partly budgetary, and partly operational. We really wanted to issue everyone a device to simplify and improve responses, but the money just wasn't there for 25 HT 750's, and we also had a problem of excessive radio traffic similar to what MacInnis was mentioning. This is why we chose more pagers.

As I described in another thread, now each Officer carries a radio, and we place portable radios on the trucks based on the seating capacity. Our 5-man truck gets 3 portable radios, and our 3-man trucks gets 1. This works assuming the Operator is close to his vehicle and can use the headset and/or cab radio, and the Officer on that engine has his own. This ensures each initial attack FF has a radio.

Additional responding personnel must either swap radios with teams exiting the hot zone, or scrounge extras from support operations. It is unlikely for us to see more than 15 FF's on a scene anyway, so it is not as big a problem as it might seem. We will strip extra radios from Exposure, Salvage, and Ventilation teams if required, as long as each team keeps one. Our goal is to ensure all interior FF's and the RIT have a radio, and the Accountability and Safety Officers ensure proper distribution.

Over the next year or so I would like to see us purchase enough radios for every man on scene (as budget permits), but after seeing the reduction in radio abuse/forgotten radios/dead batteries, since our change, I am certain we will equip the trucks, and not the FF's.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Some radios are less costly than a pager and can be used as a pager. The problem at times is getting the FFs to rember they are not to be used as CBs.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

I agree that every firefighter should have a radio at a building fire...the only downside is that there is too much chatter and feed back. Alot of new guys tend to be radio hogs cause they wanna hear themselves talkin on the radio.
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

Forum Member

Yes, and some radios that are less costly than a pager (like relm) are not suited for fireground use! I'm sorry guys but price is not the only factor here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..............

I certainly agree that EVERYONE operating on an emergency scene SHOULD have a radio. In many departments, the economic realities are such that you won't see it happen any time soon. As busy as we are, and with the resources that we have, my department still has not reached that goal. There are 2 Portables on every piece of apparatus, except Ambulances and Brush Trucks, along with the Mobile radio. Management recognizes that more are needed, but can't fund them, so members are allowed to purchase their own. The Radio of choice is the Motorola HT 1000, which works well on our frequencies (494-495 Mhz band). Til better funding is available, that's where we are.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I think (and I might be wrong) that the problem is with the question of the poll. Should All Firefighters Be Equiped With A Portable Radio? absolutely not. I live in another county from the department I am a member of. why should I have a radio that is assigned to me? or I live 7 minutes away from the other town I am a member of, should i get a radio? no, it doesn't make sense.

now, if the question was should every firefighter operating at a fire scene be equiped with a portable radio, then my answer would be YES.

neither of my departments equip every firefighter with a portable radio. however, on every piece of apparatus, there are an equal number of radios and seats on the apparatus, so each FF at an incident does have his/her own walkie.

maybe some other FFs are reading the poll as I did the first time.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I've seen a couple people mention about the excessive "chatter" whether it be on a scene or people thinking it's a cb.

This all come down to discipline. If you use the radio when you aren't supposed to, you get written up. It's that simple.

On an incident, one person communicates to command. Nobody else. That person is usually the officer of the crew. The only time someone else uses the radio is if they are in trouble.......
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I read the question as "should every firefighting position on the rig have a portable radio?" not "should every firefighter be issued a radio".
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by MEckert129
    I agree that every firefighter should have a radio at a building fire...the only downside is that there is too much chatter and feed back. Alot of new guys tend to be radio hogs cause they wanna hear themselves talkin on the radio.
    We used to have that problem but now, you dont speak until spoken to by either a sector officer or the IC. Except in an emergency of course

We also dont issue radios except for staff officers, but we do have one per seat on each rig.

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Well, looking at the question that way, I'd really rather see everyone issued their own radio if we could afford it. One reason, at least in my experience, is that the radios are better cared for when issued to an individual. Being an all-volunteer department, we'd have a problem with making sure that batteries were rotated, radios checked, etc. if they were kept on the trucks (not saying it can't be done, just something else to have to remember to do).

In our department, since not everyone has a radio, you have to be there a while, probably a couple of years, before you are issued one (everyone has pagers). Therefore it's sort of a point of pride to be given one, so everyone takes pretty good care of them. At least that's been my experience.

Also, the way we operate, it's an advantage to us to have individuals reporting en route with their own radios. Since you never know who or how many people will be responding, depending on time of day, etc., it's good for the officer to get an idea of how many people are responding, who's near the station to man the trucks, etc. It is a fair amount of chatter just after dispatch, with several people going en route, but most guys have enough discipline to shut up after that.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information