Unhappy Past DUI... Do I Stand a Chance?

Hi, I have a couple more weeks until i graduate from the fire academy and start applying. The Problem is that 6 years ago I was convicted of a DUI...... ever since then my driving record has been flawless. Do I have a chance of getting hired??? One instructor told me that his city does not consider applicants with past DUI's.

Any replies are greatly appreciated. THANKS!

MembersZone Subscriber

You should consult your lawyer on options.

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as you're 100% honest I would think you have a chance at some places. For instance:

Drunken rookie steals local private ambulance while still in recruit academy. Charges pressed? NO. Job lost? NO. Maybe he was a chief's son, I don't know.

There are lots of departments that can look the other way, especially for youth's mistakes. Unfortunately, I know there are some that won't.

Forum Member

Default eat me for stress or something ......

where is Bou......he has the answer for sure !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I thought we had talked about this before...

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=64486
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

oh we have, another for the 9th Gazillion time !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thanks for the link.
    I tried the damn search but it said I needed a minimum of 5 letters so nothing came up.

Anyways... I guess there's hope
    "I am Balsac and I approve this Message"

dazed and confused

Default Re: eat me for stress or something ......

Originally posted by Weruj1
    where is Bou......he has the answer for sure !
    hehe
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by npfd801
    As long as you're 100% honest...
    That's the most important thing. A couple of years ago a guy was ripped out of the FD Academy half way through the first morning and sent packing. On his application he had signed that he had no prior convictions. The record checks were late getting back, turned out he had snotted a taxi driver a few years before. He wasn't sent packing because of the assault on the taxi driver, they sent him packing because he had lied on his application.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

IACOJ Agitator

Be 100% honest.

Let them know you know you made a mistake and learned your lesson. Also let them know that you've matured alot over the course of the 6 years. If you can give examples on how you've matured, that would be good too.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Default DUI's

No department wants one of their firefighters cited with a DUI. If you have already had a DUI, it's difficult but not impossible to get hired. Candidates who have been cited with wet and reckless (less than a DUI) can also have problems getting hired. A candidate who seldom drinks was stopped after his wedding reception. He was cited for wet/reckless. Even though nothing happened before this incident, over one year later, he is still having problems getting hired.

If you do a psych, the doctor could DQ you because he might feel (I have actually seen this written on a report from a psychologist) because of the pressures of the job; you could end up drinking more.

You could try and get the record expunged. You can find our more on this in the "Background Expunged" section under the "Application and Resume" title of the Free "101 Inside Secrets How to Get a Badge" off our we site @ http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm

You should never bring this situation up in an oral interview unless the panel does. Many candidates feel they have to do repair work. It will only bury you. The panel probably won't because this is something that is handled with the background investigator.

Just received this:

Capt.Bob, About 2 years ago you helped me reach my dream of becoming a firefighter. Unfortunately, as a rookie, I had to resign because of a DUI.

After talking to you and following your plan, not only did I just receive a job offer, I just passed background for another fire department.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me reach my dream once again.

Please everyone do not drink and drive. It's just not worth it! Pete.

The background investigator is looking for is a reasonable explanation of what happened. Although a DUI is a tough one, this formula that Pete above used can help you overcome this hurdle:

The simple solution is did this situation happen before or since? If not, it can be considered an isolated incident.

Pat was in the hiring process recently with LA County. He had been testing for five years. He had not one but two DUI's. He was DQ'd in the hiring process for San Jose and Sacramento in last year. We gave him this problem solution format to let them know he was a viable candidate.

This is who I was.

This is what changed.

This is who I am now.

This is how he used it:

He told the background investigator and the psychologist that he didn't think he had a drinking problem, until he got his second DUI and did some jail time (this is who he was).

He knew this was not the person he was or wanted to be (this is what changed).

He attended a program to educate himself. He discovered he didn't have a drinking problem, but a behavior situation. He stopped drinking. He went back to school, got his paramedic license, married with children and a model seasoned medic for 8 years. He said it's hard to believe those earlier situations ever occurred. Not once has anything like that happened again.

Guess what? Pat got hired! He proudly wears the badge for LA County Fire Department.

"The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows." --Aristotle Onasssis

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Forum Member

Default Rack up a few more

Jim has his FF/1, AA degree and has a chance to go to medic school. So does Steve. Steve is also working a CDF A engine. Their life’s dreams are to become city firefighters.

They both have something else in common. Both got DUI’s! Jim got his 2 blocks after he left the house. Steve got his after his 21st birthday celebration with his buddies. He didn’t think he had drank that much.

How in the world did this happen? Regardless it did. This error in judgment will have an affect on their career goals the rest of their working days.
    No department wants one of their firefighters cited with a DUI.

If you have already had a DUI, it's difficult but not impossible to get hired. It's easier if you’re a medic. Candidates who have been cited with wet and reckless (less than a DUI) can also have problems getting hired. Another candidate who seldom drinks was stopped after his wedding reception. He was cited for wet/reckless. Even though nothing happened before this incident, over one year later, this medic is still having problems getting hired.

If you do a psych, the doctor could DQ you because he might feel (I have actually seen this written on a report from a psychologist) because of the pressures of the job; you could end up drinking more.

Don’t cut your career goals short by thinking you haven’t had that much to drink.

No, make that three DUI's. Just got a call from a candidate asking me how he could put a positive spin on his upcoming interview for an intern medic position and he just got a DUI on July 3rd.

Now mind you I have talked to this candidate before and he was having trouble a while back getting on an EMT only rig because of a conflict he already had with the law.

How could this have happened? Well, I ran my car off the road and someone called the CHP. But I will turn this into a positive. Maybe when you say, do you want fries with that order?

Coming home after visiting friends the red lights come on. This almost through medic school candidate pulls over. The CHP officer said, I've stopped you because you don't have current tags on your vehicle. Oh, we moved and they weren't forwarded.

Sir, have you been drinking?

Another DUI that's going to make it more difficult if not impossible to get hired.

Do you know how much you have or need to drink to record .09 on the Breathalyzer? This candidate thought he knew he was all right to drive too.

Hey do yourself a favor and buy your own Breathalyzer so you don't make a career-changing mistake. Check out: http://www.breathalyzer.net

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

I've had my disagreements with good ol' Capt. Bob, but this time I am enraged.

Good advice, Bob. Don't worry about how your alcohol intake will affect your operation of a motor vehicle. Just as long as you keep it low enough not to get a DUI so you can "get the badge!".

What about the very real possiibility that if you are .07 BAC, your ability to operate a motor vehicle may impaired? What about if you blow into a breathalyzer when you get into your car, your body has not enough time to metabolyze the last drink you had and your BAC continues to go up for a period of time? What about the fact that you apparently do not have the slightest idea of what you are talking about?

Buy a breatalyzer. Great advice from a fire service professional

dazed and confused

Default Re: Rack up a few more

Originally posted by CaptBob
    Do you know how much you have or need to drink to record .09 on the Breathalyzer? This candidate thought he knew he was all right to drive too.

Hey do yourself a favor and buy your own Breathalyzer so you don't make a career-changing mistake. Check out: http://www.breathalyzer.net
    The only chance the good Captain has of redeeming himself in my eyes is to immediately reply with, "I was being sarcastic."

And even then, I don't know if I'd believe him.

COMPLETELY STUPID POST.

Forum Member

Default What was the question?

This posting started out with a question:
    Past DUI... Do I Stand a Chance?
    You’re entitled to your opinions. I guess those who have never made a mistake in life can be critical. To be holier than thou, to a point that you can’t be forgiving and allow anyone a second chance? Never, ever!

I attempt to answer questions to guide candidates in the pursuit of this infamous fire badge where they might achieve success. There are some who have never worn a fire badge, or quickly forgot how difficult it is to obtain one, that will jump in and voice their criticism without offering a solution to the question asked.

Maybe the authors of the last two postings can direct those seeking a fire position to just a few of their recent postings that educated, motivated, and encouraged them to obtain their badges.

If you can't then get off the tailboard and let someone step up who can.

Captain Bob
    Last edited by webteam; 04-19-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: url

dazed and confused

Thumbs down Re: What was the question?

Maybe the authors of the last two postings can direct those seeking a fire position to just a few of their recent postings that educated, motivated, and encouraged them to obtain their badges.

If you can't then get off the tailboard and let someone step up who can.

Captain Bob
    This makes me want to cancel my subscription. To think that someone who FH.com endorses is posting an IDIOTIC suggestion like this is embarrassing.

"HEY I BLEW AN 0.07% BAC, I'M GOOD TO DRIVE" is NOT a solution, and it's INCREDIBLY irresponsible to encourage/enable such behavior.

There is a difference between BAC and impairment, which is why many states allow for convictions on either. And like GW said, who's to say a consumer is actually capable of using it correctly?

This is MORE embarrassing than the "let's drink in the firehouse" threads, especially considering its source. NO ONE should give a damn about "the badge" when you're ENCOURAGING behavior that could not only cost an applicant his/her life, but the lives of innocent kids and adults. Haven't you dealt with the aftermath of these, "Captain?" With a suggestion like this, it leads me to question your experiences over your alleged 28 years in the fire service.

Spare us the rhetoric of "the difficulty of getting on the job," and acknowledge that a blood alcohol analyzer is one of the worst suggestions you could make.

Here's some education: don't drink and drive, especially if you've already been caught once, and lucked-out in not hurting anyone.

Duh.

"Lieutenant Tony"
    www.usesomecommonsense.com
    Last edited by Resq14; 01-17-2005 at 11:03 AM.

dazed and confused

Thumbs down

Nothing counts 'til you have the badge... Nothing, not even public safety!

Glad to see you're consistent, at least. Being popular and selling a lot of books does not excuse something like this in my opinion. If anything, it's even worse.

"Lieutenant Tony"
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sea...der=descending
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sea...der=descending

... and those are only the tip of the iceberg.
    Last edited by Resq14; 01-17-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Forum Member

You willfully disregarded the safety of other road users and your self and now are worried because you may not get hired to safegaurd that safety you disregarded.

A DUI is nothing to scoff at. It shows a willing lack of concern for safety and responsibility. I am for keeping the job for those that do not willfully and recklessy take other lives in to your hands.

You drink and drive.....you lose.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

IACOJ Agitator

I think the underlying message of Bob's post is to make you more aware of how much you are drinking. Alcohol affects people in different ways. Just because you think you are okay to drive doesn't necessarily mean you are. The point of getting a breathalyzer is to help you realize how much BAC you really have regardless of how you feel.

You jump on him for saying basically: “If you are really worried about it happening, get a device to check your BAC at any time you want”. He’s not trying to promote bad behavior or pushing things to the limit, but create an awareness and encourage responsibility.

Some of you like to take a high and mighty approach to real world problems like your stuff don’t stink. I’m not trying to attack any particular previous posters but there are a lot of people here to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to opinions about things like this. George and Resq, please don’t take this personally because I respect you both but there are going to be people who read your messages and can’t think for themselves, then in turn post along the lines of what you were saying.
    Last edited by Adze39; 01-28-2005 at 05:43 PM.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Adze, you know I'm not a bandwagon guy. As a public safety professional, I am extremely offended by this man's comments. Allegedly, he is a fire service professional as well. I would have to assume that he has been to his share of DUI related incidents and has seen the aftermath. It is amazing to see his true colors come forth. Let's see what the "Capt. Bob is God" crowd says now.

The underlying message has nothing to do with "make you more aware of how much you are drinking". It has everything to do with "beating the system". Consider this scenario: You stop at the bar and have some beers. You finish your last swallow, head out to your car and blow into the breathalyzer and it comes up .07. "I'm good to go" and you head off. First, you're probably not good to go as your ability to operate an MV is impaired and second, your body will continue to metabolize the alcohol in your stomach for a considerable period of time. Your BAC will be going up as you drive!

Not only is this poor advice from the fire service standpoint, it is misinformed as well.

Now, onto Capt. Bob. Spare me your arrogant quips about "getting the badge". I've made mistakes and I've driven a car when I've had too much to drink. By the grace of God I have never been in an accident. But that doesn't make it right.

You answered the question about PAST DUI's and I cannot argue with your advice. I never said a word about not giving people a second chance or not being forgiving. Past behavior can be excused if present behavior warrants it-especially when you are dealing with potential employment in a position of public trust.

But you go one further and talk about the here and now. You talk about the "person I am now". Well, if the "person I am now" wants to be a fire fighter, the "person I am now" should learn to drink responsibly and not try to beat the system. The fire service professional should adapt the attitude that anyone being behind the wheel of a car when they have been drinking is dangerous and a potential life changing event. But instead you offer advice on how to beat the system. Nice.

I am certain that the WT will shut this thread down and probably ban me for daring to criticize Capt. Bob, but I would hope that they read ALL of the posts before they do that and see just how far over the line good ol' Capt. Bob went this time. I hope they are as offended as I am. If anyone's posts should be deleted it should be his.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 01-17-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Forum Member

Default Blog

I think the underlying message of Bob's post is to make you more aware of how much you are drinking. Alcohol affects people in different ways. Just because you think you are okay to drive doesn't necessarily mean you are. The point of getting a breathalyzer is to help you realize how much BAC you really have regardless of how you feel . . . You jump on him for saying basically: “If you are really worried about it happening, get a device to check your BAC at any time you want”. He’s not trying to promote bad behavior or pushing things to the limit, but create an awareness and encourage responsibility.
    Yep, you can spin this anyway you want but that's it.

Can anyone posting here direct those seeking a fire position to just a few of their recent postings that educated, motivated, and encouraged them to obtain their badges?

"Captain Bob"
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-17-2005 at 08:44 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Blog

There's no spin on my part. YOU are the spinner here. Your arrogance about refusing to even acknowledge the concerns posted by myself and others speaks volumes, too.

Capt. Bob Credibility = O

Forum Member

Another concern not thought of....

If you hold a commercial driver's license (CDL) your BAC threshold for being considered legally intoxicated is a scant .04

Go out an enjoy a few cold ones or a cocktail, but f you need your license to work (and most FD's require a valid license)... do the right thing and give the keys to someone else.. why take the risk?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

why take the risk?
    Because Capt. Bob said it was OK as long as you blow into a breathalyzer.

dazed and confused

Default Re: Blog

Can anyone posting here direct those seeking a fire position to just a few of their recent postings that educated, motivated, and encouraged them to obtain their badges?

"Captain Bob"
    "Educate"

"Motivate"

"Encourage"

I think you're too close to the trees on this one, Mr. Smith. I encourage you to take some initiative and learn some more about alcohol and how it affects the body, as well as what it takes to conduct a reliable BAC breath test. Perhaps with some education on the matter you might understand why some feel so strongly about your suggestion. Hopefully that has motivated you.
    Last edited by Resq14; 01-17-2005 at 11:12 AM.

Thread Information