Default Any Maumee or Toledo F.F. that could help me?

I am moving to Maumee at the end of the summer. I wish to stay in the fire department career. I am from a small fire department in MI, and I was wondering what I would have to do get on a fire department on the west side of Toledo?

Forum Member

I'll just cut and paste my answer from the other thread in case others didn't see it.....

There are a few of us on here from the area, none specifically from Maumee, though.......

This is their website.

Here is contact info:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact Us:
    All emergencies: 911

Fire Station No. 1
    202 E. William Street, Maumee, OH 43537-3352
    PH: 419-897-7057 FAX: 419-897-7054

Fire Station No. 2
    450 W. Dussel Drive, Maumee, OH 43537-1628
    PH: 419-897-7055 FAX: 419-897-7195

firechief@maumee.org
    fireprevention@maumee.org
    firefighting@maumee.org
    ems@maumee.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would try to call them and see what they say.

I'm not sure what their exact requirements are. If you have some certifications, I would contact the State of Ohio to see if there is some reciprocity between OH and Michigan.

Are you set on living in Maumee? There are some other FDs in the general area that are also volunteer like Monclova, Whitehouse, Waterville, Perrysburg, Perrysburg Twp., Rossford, Northwood.

They are all in the same general area.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

'77 has it about covered .............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

What part of Maumee are you moving to?

Maybe we can get help from the LCEMS guys but doesn't Monclova Fire serve some areas with a Maumee mailing address?

Forum Member

Originally posted by PFD109NFD107
    What part of Maumee are you moving to?

Maybe we can get help from the LCEMS guys but doesn't Monclova Fire serve some areas with a Maumee mailing address?
    Not sure, but probably since Monclova is a Twp.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Also keep in mind that most vollie departments in this area do not have duty crews so they generally have a residency requirement.

I'm not sure about Ohio's reciprocity for fire certifications...most likely you will have to take the 36 hour Volunteer FF course or the 120 hour Firefighter I course. If you have EMS certs you should be able to get reciprosity since Ohio is a National Registry state just like Michigan.

Now for the shameless plug: If you wanted to live in the beautiful Point Place/Shoreland area, my department is always looking for people. Check us out at www.wtfd.net We run around 300 calls a year, 80% EMS.

If you wanted it really easy, the Morin Point FD in Erie Twp. MI includes the Point Place area in their residency requirement and you wouldn't have to worry about reciprocity. www.mpfd39.com They run about 200 calls per year, also about 80% EMS.

Good luck to you and no matter where you end up I hope you enjoy the Toledo area.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Originally posted by WTFD10
    Also keep in mind that most vollie departments in this area do not have duty crews so they generally have a residency requirement.

I'm not sure about Ohio's reciprocity for fire certifications...most likely you will have to take the 36 hour Volunteer FF course or the 120 hour Firefighter I course. If you have EMS certs you should be able to get reciprosity since Ohio is a National Registry state just like Michigan.

Now for the shameless plug: If you wanted to live in the beautiful Point Place/Shoreland area, my department is always looking for people. Check us out at www.wtfd.net We run around 300 calls a year, 80% EMS.

If you wanted it really easy, the Morin Point FD in Erie Twp. MI includes the Point Place area in their residency requirement and you wouldn't have to worry about reciprocity. www.mpfd39.com They run about 200 calls per year, also about 80% EMS.

Good luck to you and no matter where you end up I hope you enjoy the Toledo area.
    Good point with the residency. I'm not sure how the EMT works. If you are National Registry you should be good.......
    IACOJ

Okay, I am moving to Ohio because my fiance and I are moving in together, and Maumee is where he is from. It doesn't have to be in Maumee, but I've never been to Pointe Place/Shoreland so I can't really say anything, but thanks for the great tip, now the problem is, does anyone know where the Ohio website is so that way I check to see if my previous training will apply in Ohio. I was told to check first by the fire chief at Maumee (a really nice man might I add).I took the 120 hour F.F. I course up here. The EMT thing won't be that hard. But, up here MMR(county ambulance service) they offer the classes, does the amublance company down there offer classes? If I had time, I would take the classes up here, but, with the moving date, it's not possible. And we were hoping to move to an area close to the Perrysburg area (he works out there I believe), but with my smooth talking, who knows. Any help I can get from ya'll would be great!! Thanks a million

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.ems.ohio.gov/

Good luck in your search for a home. Like everyone has been saying there are a number of good quality volunteer/part-paid departments around. Keep us posted where you are looking and someone will be able to give you a little insight on that department.

ps: You might want to stay away from Perrysburg..... LOL!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CBFDfirechic15
    Okay, I am moving to Ohio because my fiance and I are moving in together, and Maumee is where he is from. It doesn't have to be in Maumee, but I've never been to Pointe Place/Shoreland so I can't really say anything, but thanks for the great tip, now the problem is, does anyone know where the Ohio website is so that way I check to see if my previous training will apply in Ohio. I was told to check first by the fire chief at Maumee (a really nice man might I add).I took the 120 hour F.F. I course up here. The EMT thing won't be that hard. But, up here MMR(county ambulance service) they offer the classes, does the amublance company down there offer classes? If I had time, I would take the classes up here, but, with the moving date, it's not possible. And we were hoping to move to an area close to the Perrysburg area (he works out there I believe), but with my smooth talking, who knows. Any help I can get from ya'll would be great!! Thanks a million
    Point Place is right at the OH/MI line...Northeast of Maumee.

As far as EMT classes, Owens Community College or the Northwest Ohio Paramedic Program at MCO both have them. It was $350 when I took it at MCO 6 years ago, I imagine it is probably quite a bit more now. For departments that don't require you to have your EMT up front, they will put you through the class, usually held at another fire department.

We don't have an "ambulance company" down here. Here's how our EMS systems operate: In Lucas County, the fire departments do first response with an engine or an ambulance. A Lucas County EMS Life Squad (ALS ambulance) is sent for high priority calls. ALS transport is done by the Life Squad, BLS transports are done either by the fire department (most outlying areas) or one of four privates (Toledo and some of the closer suburbs like us in Washington Twp. and Sylvania). In northern Wood County, where everybody else who has posted on this thread is from, the fire departments do all of the transports.

If you're looking for the Perrysburg area I would recommend Rossford or Northwood. Nice areas, good schools and good fire departments (and I'm not just saying that because I know these guys on here ) You'll also find that housing in the City of Perrysburg and Perrysburg Twp. is generally more expensive than in Rossford or Northwood.

Hope this info helped you out some. Best of luck on your move and congratulations on your engagement.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information