Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cincinnati Area Ambulance vs Train

Here are 3 articles from www.firefighterclosecalls.com

Train crashes into ambulance
    Firefighter jumped on running board, may have blocked driver's view, report says

Saturday, January 15, 2005

By Jane Prendergast
    Enquirer staff writer

SAYLER PARK - The driver of an ambulance hit by a train Friday may have had his view blocked by a fellow firefighter riding on the running board. No one inside the ambulance - two firefighters and a recruit - was seriously injured. They were treated at University Hospital and released. The firefighter on the running board jumped off before the accident.

The ambulance, with its lights and siren activated, was headed west on River Road about 10:45 a.m. to pick up a patient who was hurt by a piece of equipment at a grain company. Veteran firefighter Joe Eves, 49, the driver, turned left off River Road and up onto the railroad tracks. Firefighter Paul Mapes, who had arrived at the scene on a fire engine, stepped onto the driver's-side running board as the ambulance headed toward the plant. A police report said Mapes was conferring with the driver just before the train hit. District Chief Alan Sedam, who answered questions at the scene, said later he had to refer further questions to Chief Robert Wright.

The chief could not be reached for comment. Union spokesman Doug Stern said the union would wait for results of the investigation before talking about any possible causes. "We just really don't know what happened yet," he said. The tracks run parallel to River Road. The crossing is marked with signs but has no gates. "It's amazing no one's hurt worse than they are," said Joe Diebold, union president. "I'm just glad for that." The firefighters wore seat belts, he said. The recruit, Fred Averill, 33, who was sitting in the back of the ambulance, started at the fire academy last month. Recruits routinely ride as part of their training, Diebold said. Firefighter Mark Dolan, 38, also was treated. The three men on the 1969 locomotive also were hurt. The engine is owned by Indiana & Ohio Railroad. The ambulance will be checked for malfunctions, said traffic Sgt. Bill Coombs. The patient at Cargill AgHorizons farm service center was treated by other firefighters and taken to a hospital.

Officials Concerned After Train, Ambulance Collide
    Firefighter jumped on running board, may have blocked driver's view, report says Injuries Not Life-Threatening

January 14, 2005

CINCINNATI -- Three firefighters were injured Friday after an train collided with their ambulance

Police said the ambulance, from lower Price Hill, was en route to pick up a worker at the Cargill Plant with a shoulder injury at about 11 a.m. when it was hit by a train in the 5000 block of River Rd. in Riverside. The patient was not in the ambulance at the time of the accident.

There were no flashing signals at the unmarked railroad crossing, News 5's Courtis Fuller reported.

Two firefighters and a recruit were taken to University Hospital with minor injuries. The ambulance driver, Joseph Eves, 49, was treated and released. Firefighter Mark Dolan, 38, and recruit Fred Averill, 33, were passengers in the ambulance.

"We do have some injuries, none of them appear to be life-threatening," said Lt. Kurt Byrd.

Sources said it appears that the most severe injury was a dislocated shoulder, Fuller reported.

Union officials speculated that the single-engine train may have been working at a slow speed in a nearby industrial park, News 5's Todd Dykes reported.

In the meantime, firefighters and police officers are concerned about how something like the accident could happen.

"If I'm driving down there and go and turn, I could see both ways. I donít understand why the ambulance didn't see the train," said Roscoe Gerber, a nearby resident.

Investigators said they would reconstruct the scene in an effort to determine exactly what happened.

Three Hurt As Train Hits Cinci. FD Ambulance

All images from 5400 River Road, 11:30 a.m. Friday
    (WCPO/WCPO.com)
    Reported by: Shannon Kettler
    Last updated: 1/14/2005 4:11:34 PM

Two Cincinnati firefighters and one recruit are injured after their ambulance collided with a train Friday morning.

The crash happened in the 5400 block of River Road in Riverside just after 10:30 a.m.

There was no patient on board.

The two firefighters, Mark Dolan and Joseph Eves, along with the recruit, Frederick Avrol, have minor injuries and are expected to be okay. The trio was responding to a call for an injured shoulder.

In order to get to the location, they had to cross the railroad tracks, and that's where the crash happened.

"It was just a boom! I mean it was a hard hit, just metal against metal," said Terry Hiles, who lives near the scene and felt his house shake upon collision.

Emergency crews arrived and rushed the two firefighters and a recruit on board to the hospital.

Fellow firefighters arrived to check on their status.

"All the injuries are minor," said Assistant Fire Chief Robert Kuhn. "They're had some tests done to make sure they didn't have any broken bones or anything, they're all minor"

Back at the scene, investigators with the Cincinnati Traffic Section tried to determine exactly how the crash happened. As of Friday evening, it was still too early to tell.

Steven Frey owns a home right across the street from where the accident took place and says this isn't the first train wreck he's seen over the last 15 years.

"This is the fourth one I know of. I know of two semi's, one was a fatal, another was a green truck and now the ambulance," said Frey.

This time folks were thankful no one seriously hurt.

"Equipment can be replaced, people can't, especially city workers, the jobs they do, they do a great job for us. A lot of people don't realize that," said Niles.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Here are some photos of the rig that was hit.

Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Wait, was the ambulance moving with him riding the running board, or was the ambulance stopped and the FF was just standing there talking to the ambulance driver?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

He was riding on the running board. He was waiting by the street to show them the location. While it wasn't smart to hop on they were on a drive going into a buisiness not a public street. I'm sure they weren't going very fast.

I wonder what the last words heard before being struck were:
    -"Stop f**king with the airhorn"
    -"We don't have an airhorn"
    -"OH *****!!!!"

Am I the only one shaking their head at the OUTRIGHT freaking stupidity displayed here?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I can see what the deal was here if I understand it correctly ....My impression is that they were responding to grain elevator/agriculture place and the FD engine person met them to show them the way when here came the train. Why not use a radio? Were they distracted by this person ? I am glad no one was killed ...........wonder what will come of this ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Well, if the train is still sitting right there, at least it couldn't have been going that fast.

Without being there, I am questiong if the train was using it's horn. Don't they have to blow that thing when they approach a grade crossing? I don't know about you, but if I know I am near tracks and I hear a horn, I am making sure I am not on the tracks.

Don't they have to blow that thing when they approach a grade crossing?
    One would think so, but more and more communities across the country are passing local ordinances banning trains from blowing horns within the municipal limits. It seems to be especially prominent in those more wealthy communities.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone ever been that close to a Locomotive and heard how LOUD the engines are in those things? I bet they were wearing their NFPA Compliant Headsets and couldnt hear it.....
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Just last year we had a firefighter killed down here in Louisiana when he failed to yield to a train at an unmarked crossing while responding to an EMS run in the department's utility vehicle. When will we learn that we needed to develop and ENFORCE SOPs that mandate stopping completely at all unmarked crossings during emergency (and non-emergency) travels ? Once again, the culture that says we need to get there NOW dispite the risks to us bites us in our ***.

We do have that policy as we have 2 crossings with only crossbucks. Unfortunatly, though it is followed most of the time, I am just waiting for the one time it is not and results in a tradegy.

SAYLER PARK - The driver of an ambulance hit by a train Friday may have had his view blocked by a fellow firefighter riding on the running board.
    DOING WHAT Are "we" EVER going to learn

Dave
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Looks like Cincy is having an outbreak. Got home today and checked out hte news nad found out there was another wreck today injuring 2 firefighters.

Two Firefighters Hurt In Morning Crash

LAST UPDATE: 1/18/2005 12:49:36 PM
    Watch This Story

Two Cincinnati Firefighters are injured when a car crashes into their ambulance in East Price Hill Tuesday morning. Just before 9:00 am, a car went left of center and hit their ambulance at Elberon and Mount Hope Avenues. The two firefighters suffered back injuries. There was already a patient in the ambulance who was being transported to the hospital for an illness. He was not injured in the accident. The driver of the car was also not injured. The accident remains under investigation.

Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Let me guess.. "I didn't see the big white truck with red lights"

I am questiong if the train was using it's horn. Don't they have to blow that thing when they approach a grade crossing?
    Thier is a new Federal Railroad Adminstration rule governing the use of horns.

One would think so, but more and more communities across the country are passing local ordinances banning trains from blowing horns within the municipal limits. It seems to be especially prominent in those more wealthy communities.
    This is true, sort of. Under the old system the Engineer may blow the horn in these communities with bans only when they feel thier is a life or death situation.

Under the new system that took effect December 18 due the EPIDEMIC problem of accidents the FRA took steps that now require horns to be blown at ALL crossings unless their has been a previous quiet ban established at crossings with no accidents for the past 5 years and there are warning light and or gates provided.

FRA press release:
    In response to a legislative mandate, FRA has issued an Interim Final Rule for the Use of Locomotive Horns at Highway-Rail Crossings. The rule requires that locomotive horns be sounded as a warning to highway users at public highway-rail crossings. In accordance with a legislative requirement, the rule was not to take effect until one year following the date of its publication on December 18, 2003; however, that effective date has been extended to April 1, 2005 (See information above). Until April 1, 2005, the sounding of the locomotive horns at crossings will remain subject to applicable State and local laws.

The rule also provides an opportunity, not available until now, for thousands of localities nationwide to mitigate the effects of train horn noise by establishing new "quiet zones." The rule also details actions communities with pre-existing "whistle bans" can take to preserve the quiet they have become accustomed to.

Has anyone ever been that close to a Locomotive and heard how LOUD the engines are in those things? I bet they were wearing their NFPA Compliant Headsets and couldnt hear it.....
    Not all locomotives are so noisy. Older locomotives with the EMD series 567 and 645 engines are indeed noisy. But due to goverment mandates locomotives must now be equiped with "Q" fans and quieter engines.
    The newer locomotives like the SD-70 with a newer 710 engine series engine and GE Dash7 though Dash 9-44CW at idle through notch 6 are quiet....as quiet as a 200 ton 4400 hp locomotive can be, which from being around them first hand.........is dam quiet. However the locomotive above has a EMD 567 prime mover....so it would be noisy.

Below is one of the quiet SD70's with the 710 series engine.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information