Thread: Portable Radios

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portable Radios

Just wondering what departments are using for their portables? We are looking into buying some new portable radios and would like some opinions on the goods and bads of the radios that you are using. We are looking at Motorola HT1250 or MTS2000, Kenwood TK290, or the Vertex Standard VX900. We currently use the Motorola HT750 and HT1000. Thank you for your input.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default TK270

We use the TK270 model I think off hand. The radio is not too high priced got mine for about $435. Battery runs for a good 13-15 hrs between charges, but it will only last about a year and a half. I find it light weight and about the right size for a hand.
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member

Default Gee ..this hasnt been discussed before ...ENJOY !

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

The Kenwood TK-290 is an A+ heavy duty, high quality, kick butt portable radio. For $800.00, it is hard to beat as a firegound portable radio.

The MTS2000 is just as good, however, it costs another $500 each which is a waste just for a name. If you don't need MDC1200 PTT-ID or the other proprietary features, I think you would be wasting your money. It would be like buying a Hummer where an F-350 would work fine.

The Vertex VX-900 I can not speak for with personal experience. I have never heard any complaints about it. I would have confidence in it as a radio. However, Vertex's service department has a non-so-hot history of slowness. Maybe it has gotten better in the last year or two, but this is the reason I buy Kenwood and not Vertex.

The HT750 and HT1250, well... A lot of people use them for this purpose. They sell them for this purpose. I haven't used them personally, however I have heard a lot more complaints than the others above. I think they have gotten a little better in the last year, but I still don't trust them just yet. If you do not need MDC1200 PTT-ID or some of the other proprietart Motorola features, I think you would be wasting your money.

I've put lots of input into the other threads you'll likely turn up in a search. Some people disgree with me about not condoning the use of "toy" or "buisness" radios for structural firefighting. That's another issue. You are on the right track with the radios you're looking at right now.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

If you go with the Motorola HT1250 do not buy the cheap batteries. Buy the Motorola brand batteries. Our squad got some of the noames ones and the radios constantly turn on/off because the batteries don't quite seal properly. I have a motorola battery in my radio now and it never turns off.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Hint: avoid W&W batteries.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department uses the MTS2000. We got them through a county wide grant they received because of going to the 800mHz system. We have the IMPRESS smart batteries/charger that will sense when they need to "renew" your battery. I like them but since they were a county wide grant item we didn't have much say so in what we got. I don't have a clue what all the features are on it but am slowly learning. All in all I'd say it is a good radio.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

The officers in our dept use Vx900's. We have had these for awhile now and had no issues.Having 500+ channels is handy too when your personnel are on the Regional haz-mat team. T.C.

Forum Member

Around here we use Bendix King radios...tough and reliable as an old brick

Hint: the model number of a motorola radio is also the price

Birken

Forum Member

We use Vertex 800's and 600's. No Problems as long as you remember to get a new battery every year. We havn't had to go threw thier service yet.

Thread Information