Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Job Security Or Just Plain Bizzare?

Toothache turns out to be nail in skull Associated Press
    January 17, 2005

PHOTO CREDIT: Associated Press

A dental office X-ray reveals a 10-centimetre nail embedded in the skull of Patrick Lawler, 23.

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) -- A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a 10-centimetre nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

A nail gun backfired on Lawler, 23, on Jan. 6 while he was working in Breckenridge, a ski resort town in Colorado.

The tool sent a nail into a piece of wood nearby, but Lawler didn't realize a second nail had shot through his mouth, said his sister, Lisa Metcalse.

Following the accident, Lawler had what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision.

On Wednesday, after painkillers and ice didn't ease the pain, he went to a dental office where his wife, Katerina, works.

"I thought the [dentists] were joking ... then the doctor came out and said, 'There's really a nail,' " Katerina Lawler said. "Patrick just broke down. I mean, he had been eating ice cream to help the swelling."

He was taken to a suburban Denver hospital, where he underwent four hours of surgery.

The nail had plunged about four centimetres into his brain, barely missing his right eye, Metcalse said.

"This is the second one we've seen in this hospital where the person was injured by the nail gun and didn't actually realize the nail had been imbedded in their skull," neurosurgeon Sean Markey told KUSA-TV in Denver.

"But it's a pretty rare injury."

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

DID HE HAVE HIS SAFETY GOGGLES ON

LOL gotta feel sorry for him - pure dumb luck!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Wow.............

I feel for that gentleman. I've had a couple of "Nail gun" calls, my neighbor slipped on a ladder and shot a nail into his left thigh, luckily no damage other than the puncture, missed the impotrtant things like bone and arteries. Another was about 5 years ago, had a call for a guy who nailed his left thumb to a 2x4, we cut the board about a foot below the nail, transported him to the ER with a 18 inch piece of 2x4 still nailed firmly to his thumb.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

ok, this i got to ask. the incident happened on jan 6th. on jan 17th, he went to the dentist for a toothache. so when the incident happened back on the 6th, he didn't notice he had been shot with a 10 centimeeter nail? how do you not notice that?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

maybe he was on the Ricky Williams canibus diet

Exclamation MORE TO THE STORY

Construction worker who shot nail into his brain wants to make pizzas

Canadian Press January 21, 2005

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) - A Colorado construction worker who shot himself in the head with a nail gun - an accident he didn't discover until he went to the dentist with a nagging toothache - said he'll change his line of work.

"I'll make pizzas," Patrick Lawler, 23, said Tuesday. Lawler, who may be released from the hospital as early as Wednesday, was working on a house near Breckenridge, Colo., when he accidentally fired the nail into his head. He said it felt like he had been hit with a steel baseball bat.

Lawler didn't realize the gun had fired a 10-centimetre nail through his mouth and 3.8 centimetres into his brain until six days later, when he went to a dental office complaining of a toothache that just wouldn't go away.

An X-ray revealed the nail and surgeons removed it last week.

"The nail could have been millimetres to one side and it would have severed an optic nerve, leaving him blind," said Dr. Sean Markey, who operated on Lawler.

"He's unbelievably lucky."

Lawler said he doesn't know how he'll pay medical bills estimated to reach $100,000. He's uninsured.

"I was self-employed on the job," he said.

"I would have had to carry my own health insurance. But I didn't think I'd shoot myself with a nail, you know?"

© The Canadian Press 2005
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Default ADDITIONAL STUFF

This is from Bongard, they are a Safety Training centre out of Vancouver BC.

Nail guns take workers by surprise
    How do you shoot yourself through the mouth with a nail gun and not know it?

It happened to 23-year-old Patrick Lawler, whose dentist found the source of his nagging toothache six days after the accident.

It wasnít a cavity, but a 4-inch nail that pierced his skull on a construction site in Colorado.

Lawler was using a nail gun when it reportedly backfired. One nail embedded itself in a piece of wood, while a second nail shot through his mouth without him realizing it.

He contacted his dentist because he felt a pain in his mouth. X-rays then showed the nail partially lodged in Lawlerís brain. He then underwent surgery to remove the nail.

Nail gun accidents arenít rare in the construction industry. In fact, there were numerous incidents in the US last year.

For example, a 39-year Hispanic worker from Los Angeles, CA, fell off a roof onto a co-worker who was using a nail gun. As a result, the laborer who fell ended up with six nails in his skull. Despite his injuries, he survived.

In another incident in Spokane, WA, a 24-year-old Moses Lake man had a nail removed from his chest after a nail gun malfunctioned.

An x-ray showed the nail had punctured a chamber of Steven Faberís heart, however, he survived the surgery.

In Rapid City, SD, 21-year-old Jed Bryant was on a construction site when he bumped his head against a co-workerís nail gun. That honest mistake resulted in a nail being lodged in his skull, the source of subsequent headaches and dizziness.

The company he worked for was cited (and fined) by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration for inadequate training of employees.

In Arizona recently, an 18-year-old construction worker pulled a nail out of his chest after accidentally shooting himself with a nail gun.

One US study of nail gun injuries showed that 90 percent were the result of the carpenter being struck (most commonly by a nail puncturing a hand or fingers). The injury rate among apprentices was 3.7 per 200,000 hours worked, compared with a rate of 1.2 among journeymen.

The study noted that training and the use of sequential triggers would go a long way in preventing/reducing nail gun injuries.

A sequential trip system requires that the trigger be pulled each time before the surface is nailed (as opposed to nails discharging automatically upon contact with a surface).

Sequential triggers on nail guns can prevent more than 65 percent of injuries, according to researchers at the Duke University Medical Center.

For tips on pneumatic nail gun safety, visit http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/...ds/nailgun.htm

A sequential trip system requires that the trigger be pulled each time before the surface is nailed (as opposed to nails discharging automatically upon contact with a surface).

Sequential triggers on nail guns can prevent more than 65 percent of injuries, according to researchers at the Duke University Medical Center.

Wonder when they'll decide the triggers cause carpal tunnel...
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Thread Information