MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Town Doesnt Give Solid Answers on 10 ?'s

Does anyone know what happens when your town office answers first of 10 questions,
    "have to wait until town meeting on March 5th 2005" about 1 week ago our town clerk recieved the questions for a 233,000 grant for a new piece of apparatus and without discussing with anyone answered like that. Can anyone help with any previous experience. We the firefighters are very nervous we are going to lose all our hard work.

Forum Member

Post Hope this helps

deputy36,

I would call the help desk tomorrow. Tell them what you have and they will tell you what to do. I least the person didn't tell them no like another person. If you do a search on "help desk" on this forum you will find a link to that. I don't know how to search and post at the same time.

The next thing you need to do is start twisting arms. I would be calling everyone who is on the town board. Let them know they may be screwing up a chance at getting a new piece for 10 cents on the dollar. You will get this worked out. Do jump off a building yet.

Matt

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I believe there's a time limit on a reply. Considering there's another month called 'February' between now and March 5th, what happened to that town meeting.

Tell whoever to answer the questions as if the money was sitting in the bank. You have up to 1 year to order the truck/spend the money, so if the town is bankrolling the project tell them they do not need to have the money right now, they can work on getting it together over a few months.

If for some reason they can't come up with it within 12 months, then the money will just revert back to the next person in line behind you.

Of course if that happens, time to get rid of some of the council members. For elected officials to balk at paying $23K for a new fire truck, they're probably not smart enough to live by themselves, let alone serve in a government position.

Forum Member

did the 10 questions come to you or to the town email? if it came to you i would go ahead and answer them favorable and send them back in and go from there. like said above you have a year so it doesnt have to be spent right then if they dont have the funds.I woulnt prolong that situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why is the city clerk in the loop for your fire grant? The individual who wrote the grant (or other designated rep (chief/etc)) should be the only one receiving/corresponding with FEMA regarding your grant app/info. I assume the sewer operator, janitor, snowplow operator don't have a clue about your grant app/Fire Grants/your fire dept. The city clerk same category. Get your own email address. Borrow a PC if needed. Get the uniformed out of the loop. When the council needs info, YOU give them a presentation.

Tell FEMA yes then go get the match; beg, borrow, etc. As mentioned you have 12 months. If at the end of 12 months you don't have all of your 10% spend what you have on a less expensive piece.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flip side of the coin...

One of the towns I work for (writing grants) has a Town Clerk. She does everything from sign checks to approve budgetory items. She is in the place of 'Town Manager' and works closely with the Mayor and Council/Board.

There are two pieces of info we don't know here: Did the Council members/Board APPROVE the application for a vehicle (prior to app)? What is protocol in the town?

The answers to the above questions will determine why a 'clerk' was in the loop. In the case of my town I work with, EVERYTHING has to be pre-approved thru the Clerk's office. Depending on the amount of the request/grant SHE then takes it to the appropriate person. Now, some towns/cities have different chain of command or protocol. So, I can't speak for them.

Once, the town has authorized the application, at that point I begin to write the grant. Not before. In fact, several of the state grants I apply for on their behalf, require the Clerk or Mayor to sign the app. stating they know of the request for funding and are in support.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry The Town Is Blowing It.

To answer some of your questions, Yes We the Rire dept. did approach the town selectmen prior to applying for grant, they gave it a green light. Problem is two of them retired and only one left that was there when we requested. Now they are all afraid to stick there necks out and say yes without going to town for vote. Thing is we already have 25,000 raised in a truck fund, They just want to get towns permission to use it. Very Very Frustrating. Trying to work it out but we feel we are running out of time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well Dixiechick, Didn't know that you monitored these things as well. Good to see you here. Sent more business your way today. Hope things are well. Just wanted to say, hi. SSFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Deputy,
    I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you. Just had a few questions. I totally understand the politics that go on in small towns. Anyway to involve the media to try and see what the public would do? I know around here, if a dept. needed 25K+ to fund a $250,000 vehicle, seems the citizens would help. Perhaps get some businesses involved. Also, what about your senators/congress people? They have more (WAY MORE) clout than the locals. Take it as high as you can...GOOD LUCK! (HEY, also, one final thought - do you have copies of the minutes from the meeting where they approved the grant app.? Seems that would be a PUBLIC guarantee of the funds, should the grant come thru. It's a thought....) Ya'll deserve the vehicle!

Flash- Hey! Good to see you here, too! Have been a 'lurker' in the forums for years! Got a little more active dealing with the grants this past year, since is what I'm doing all the time now. (And lovin it!) So, shoot me an email and let me know who you sent. And THANKS. Is getting close to that time. Oh, FYI, am leaving Monday for out mid-west to go to grant workshop. Will let you know any details I discover that pertains to ya. Also, in Feb. am holding a workshop on the '05 grants...some other than AFG. Will send ya invite. Talk to ya soon! -a

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Thanks Dixiechic

Thanks for your information, I extend that to all that replied. Very hard to convey to town that this is the federal goverment we are dealing with, and there are time limits, heck we are almost on last round for 2004. We are doing everything we can however the town Clerk/Treas is listed on the grant because she is the one that deals with all the payouts. Out problem is she has a big mouth and assumes way too much without researching it, unfortunetly the selectmen take her word for it, because we are just dumb fireman. We even had a town resident that said he would front all the money for it, the town denied. This is what we are working with. Its CRAZY!!!!! Well at least we got a grant in 2003 for equipment. Hate to lose a truck considering the town has never bought a new truck ever!!!!!

Thread Information