former FH.com member

Thumbs down yet another MUTT....

...dammit...not AGAIN!

NY Firefighter Set Fire After Not Getting Award

Associated Press

CAMBRIA, N.Y. (AP) - That firefighter of year award Tammy Lagowski wanted so badly isn't likely to come her way any time soon -- now that she's charged with arson. Authorities say the 20-year-old member of a suburban Buffalo volunteer fire company was so upset at being passed over for firefighter of the year honors that she went and torched a vacant building earlier this month. Sheriff's deputies in Niagara County say Lagowski was angry over not getting the award at the dinner held by a Cheektowaga fire company on January eighth. Deputies say later that night, she and a 20-year-old male companion set a fire that destroyed a building in Cambria, a rural town northeast of Buffalo. They were arrested the next day and charged with arson, burglary and criminal mischief. Lagowski has been suspended from her fire company.

Forum Member

Default sound like they made

the right coice is not giving it to her of course any kid that had every put on a plastic "fire helmet" would have been a better pick for FF of the yr. in hind site after seeing her true colors. FF is about sacrifice not attention and glory grrrrrr

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good call

There are sometimes you wonder why a Chief does some of the things he/she does. But this one was a good call on there part. I wonder what she thought she did to deserve FF of the Year. Makes you wonder about what type of people out there wearing a FF uniform. But you can't blame the rest of the GOOD Firefighters for a few Bad Apples.

SAFD46 Truck, have you had a chance to get to the River Walk for that free ice cream. Stay Safe
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

That just goes to show you that MUTTS come in all forms. That's the first time I've heard of a female firefighter committing arson.

I wonder what great miracle she performed that would make her deserve getting the Firefighter of the Year Award. Probably nothing special.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Yeah, this one was pretty strange. Does MUTT stand for something? I'm new to the forums/fire department.

Forum Member

CAMBRIA, N.Y. (AP) - That firefighter of year award Tammy Lagowski wanted so badly isn't likely to come her way any time soon -- now that she's charged with arson. Authorities say the 20-year-old member of a suburban Buffalo volunteer fire company was so upset at being passed over for firefighter of the year honors that she went and torched a vacant building earlier this month. Sheriff's deputies in Niagara County say Lagowski was angry over not getting the award at the dinner held by a Cheektowaga fire company on January eighth. Deputies say later that night, she and a 20-year-old male companion set a fire that destroyed a building in Cambria, a rural town northeast of Buffalo. They were arrested the next day and charged with arson, burglary and criminal mischief. Lagowski has been suspended from her fire company
    Missed glory
    20 years old
    Anger over missed glory
    20 years old, angry over missed glory
    Empty building, with another 20 year old.
    20 years old,angry over missed glory, at an emtpy building with another knuckle head
    20 years old,angry over missed glory, at an emtpy building with another knuckle head, no physch test.

Yeah, this wasnt hard to put together.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

You have to wonder about what makes a 20 year old think they deserved to be named the Firefighter of the Year. I am 43 years old and have been in the fire service for over 24 years and I don't feel like I deserve such recognition.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Once again vollies continue to be our own worst enemy.

Hope she gets some real jail time and not just a slap on the wrist.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

WTFD10. I like it how you come down on Vollies for this, when paid firefighters have also comitted arson.

David Larson

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DTLarson
    WTFD10. I like it how you come down on Vollies for this, when paid firefighters have also comitted arson.

David Larson
    Not nearly as many.

I'm not gonna get into this with you except to say that I am a Volunteer myself.

This is a major problem for the volunteer fire service whether we can admit it or not.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Administrator

If this thread evolves into career vs. volunteer it will close.

Thanks
    Webteam

Forum Member

I believe we're over here, anyhow.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...&goto=lastpost

Forum Member

Sounds more like Vollie/Vollie to me.

I did follow the above link and am astonished. I realize that that is a collection from a couple of years, but wow, what a collection.

Forum Member

Originally posted by MetalMedic
    You have to wonder about what makes a 20 year old think they deserved to be named the Firefighter of the Year. I am 43 years old and have been in the fire service for over 24 years and I don't feel like I deserve such recognition.
    Just like these guys that apply to be reviewed to have their Silver Star up graded to the Medal of Honor; if you think you deserve it, you most likely don't!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

That's the first time I've heard of a female firefighter committing arson.
    Did you miss the one about the lady who started the forest fire out west buring her ex-husband's letters? She was a part time wildland FF.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

"Its amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit"

I don't remember who said it, but those are words to live by...Its pretty pompous to assume that the world owes you anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you miss the one about the lady who started the forest fire out west buring her ex-husband's letters? She was a part time wildland FF.
    No, I didn't miss it. That case seemed to be more of accident, even though her wreckless actions led to mass destruction. I don't think she intentionally started a forest fire.

This is the first time, that I can recall, that a female firefighter intentionally set fire to a building.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Originally posted by nsideff
    "Its amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit"

I don't remember who said it, but those are words to live by...Its pretty pompous to assume that the world owes you anything.
    Ronald Reagan. Now you know.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

At least now she has a shot at "Inmate of the Year".
    Possible book deal. Made for TV movie.
    Until we come to grips with this national disgrace, we WILL continue to be our own worst enemy.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Un-Fing-believable...Seriously.

I'm speechless...

Thread Information