Thread: Elderly Drivers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Elderly Drivers

(I did a search and didn't see a recent thread about elderly drivers.)

What do you think should be done about them? Should additional tests and safety measures be taken? Should there be a maximum age at which you could drive?

Elderly Driver Runs Over Two at Florida Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart shoppers turned into rescuers Monday, lifting a car off a married couple in the parking lot of a Pembroke Pines store after an 88-year-old driver backed over them.

Police said Able Pachon, 68, and Josefina Pachon, 65, visiting from Colombia, were walking outside the Wal-Mart when Marie Miller, 88, of Pembroke Pines, backed her 1988 Toyota Cressida over them, critically injuring them.

The Toyota then hit a parked Ford Mustang, which hit a Jeep Liberty next to it. Neither car was occupied.

Armando Barrionuevo, 29, was loading groceries into his car outside the store at Pines Boulevard and Southwest 184th Avenue just after 3:30 p.m. when the accident happened nearby.

He rushed to the Toyota, pulled Miller out and moved the gear shift from reverse to park. Then he tried to free the husband and wife who were trapped underneath.

''I keep playing it in my mind, the poor lady asking for help,'' said Barrionuevo, of Pembroke Pines.

His efforts to pull the couple out were unsuccessful, so he went into the Toyota's trunk and pulled out the jack to prop the car up.

''Luckily, by then people started coming by,'' said Barrionuevo, who works for the public safety department at Nova Southeastern University. ``It was just a lot quicker to pull the car up.''

He said about a dozen men lifted the front of the car so the woman could be freed and then moved the vehicle so the man could be pulled out.

Pembroke Pines Fire-Rescue soon arrived and took the couple, who had been visiting family in Southwest Ranches, to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood in critical condition. The hospital would not release their conditions late Monday because family members asked that information not be given to the media.

Kerry Wright, of Pembroke Pines, was on her way to the store's hair salon when she heard a page for the owner of a silver Ford Mustang.

The car had been sandwiched between the Toyota and the Jeep.

''I guess I'm just lucky that I wasn't standing there when she was backing up,'' Wright said.

Barrionuevo said his family could have easily been in the Toyota's path as Miller backed up. He had been walking through the parking lot with his wife and small children looking for their car.

He said Miller did not appear to realize how serious the situation was.

''As far as she was concerned, she hit a car,'' he said. ``That's all she knew.''

A woman who identified herself as Miller's granddaughter said her grandmother was physically all right after the incident, but ``very nervous.''

''She doesn't know how the car jerked,'' said the woman, who gave her name only as Karen.

Pembroke Pines police Commander David Golt said the cause of the accident was still under investigation. He said traffic homicide detectives are interested in viewing surveillance tapes from Wal-Mart security cameras trained on the parking lot.

Miller has a valid license, Golt said. Her driving record is clean aside from a 1994 incident in which she was found guilty of failing to yield the right of way.

In 2004, a bill went into effect in Florida requiring drivers older than 79 to have their vision tested every time they renew their licenses. Records show that Miller wasn't due to have her license renewed until next year.

Rep. Irv Slosberg, D-Boca Raton, was prime sponsor of the bill. He said it has taken about 250,000 drivers off the road.

He gets reports about traffic accidents every day.

''A Wal-Mart parking lot, you don't figure that it's going to go on,'' he said. ``What a terrible thing.''

Herald Staff Researcher Scott Hutchinson contributed to this report.

Forum Member

Default they are a big lobbing group

and block votes to boot so prob. nothing will happen but I think they need to have thim do some kind of test for reflexes and eye/hand cordination at least every couple of yrs after 80 if not 70.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Coupla Points...............

I am, according to everyone else but me, a senior citizen. I am NOT old, I'm only 63, and, as a Chief, still running calls every day. HOWEVER, I get a thorough physical annually. I woudn't have it any other way. When my Doctor (who understands Firefighting) says it's time to go, I'll go. The same should be S.O.P. for maintaining your Driver's License. I don't think a Maximum age would stand up in court, but ability to function would. Testing of Drivers should be appropriate in content, and not discriminatory toward any group under the present affirmative action guidelines, but it should be able to weed out those who are not competent drivers. And we all know that there are incompetent drivers at all ages. I've heard that there is an Insurance Industry study that shows that 15% of of the Drivers on American roads are not fit to be driving, for one reason or another. Being in a Department that runs a lot of highway crashes, I can believe that. The other thing, the point in the News Story that started this thread, about a Florida Legislator who claims that his bill got 250,000 drivers off the road, must be a misprint. Adding additional requirements for Drivers License Renewal will trim a few from the roads, but a quarter million in one year? I don't think so.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

From a family perspective...
    We tried to get Grandpa's licence revoked. The cops couldn't do it, neither the Dr. Basically, until he has X amount of accidents thus proving he is an unfit driver, Grandpa can drive.
    Sometimes, you can slowly wean the older driver.
    Foolish, dangerous and downright unnecessary; disguised in the form of freedoms and rights.

I'll stop now; I feel a rant coming on
    By the way, this applies to my province in Canada. Don't know about anywhere else.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Default Re: Elderly Drivers

Originally posted by RescueMe7
    Pembroke Pines police Commander David Golt said the cause of the accident was still under investigation. He said traffic homicide detectives are interested in viewing surveillance tapes from Wal-Mart security cameras trained on the parking lot.
    Traffic Homicide Detectives? Is something missing or are they bored?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Re: Re: Elderly Drivers

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD

Traffic Homicide Detectives? Is something missing or are they bored?

(Harve plants tongue Firmly in Cheek) Ryan, you may be on to something. I wonder if all those "Pedestrian Struck" incidents may have really been MURDER?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Seems strange that a counbtry such as the US does'nt have a way of revoking impaired drivers licences quickly?

In the UK following an accident involving a driver of any age where eyesight/illness/disability may have been a factor, the officer investigating the incident can following a series of tests revoke the drivers licence and require them to take a medical in order to prove they are fit to continue driving.

A case in point is a collsion my shift at work investigated last year where a 60 year old female driver collided with a number of vehicles in a shopping centre car park, before reversing almost to the entrance of the store to drive away. After tracing her to her home address officers discovered she had eyesight impairment and had an undisclosed (to the driving licence agency), epilepsy problem. Given this information her licence was revoked immediately and I believe she failed the medical set by the licence agency meaning she is medically unit to drive again.

Just to add to Harves post, over here all serious injury and fatal road incidents are classed as "crime scenes" until it is detirmined what the cause of the incident was. (We also have forensic collision investigators. (CSI eat you heart out!!)
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Old folks...

Senior citizens in many cases have plenty of free time. Much of that free time is spent VOTING and griping at city council meetings. Most polititions won't even touch this issue, it's usually political suicide. Fla. and the U.K. are lucky to have what they got! Someone needs to step up at the federal level. Don't count on it though.
    Too Bad,
    KC

Forum Member

Dont look too much into Fla's new law. The license renewal process here is a joke.

I will be 40 at the end of this month and I have had 1 driving test, when I got my license at 16. Since then, every 6 years, they send me a renewal form in the mail, I fill it out, put in a check and they send me a new license. No physical, no eye exam, nada. You can do that up till your 79.

What needs to happen is at say age 70, you have to go through a full driving test with eye exam. Doubt it will ever happen. Like the others have said, way too many elderly voters.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

A vision test is good start but being able to turn ones neck more than 15 degrees left/right should be a requirement also.
    "I am permaprobie, and I approve this message."

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation It's hard but someone has to do it.

Since we have drivers with DWI's and DUI's in the double digits who are still driving around I guess we are a long way from looking at how our elderly drives. But I digress.........
    My Grandfather renewed his license once a year at the DMV (after 75, I think). He had to have his eyes tested. His eyes were good but his reflexes slow. I took a stand and finally convinced him to let one of us drive him. It was hard to do at first, but he came around. He decided he liked having chauffers (sp?), he could drink more coffee . I sure miss that ol' buddy of mine...
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

Thread Information