Forum Member

Default Whats the best way to...

clean a scba mask? ( msa but i dont think it matters). I have my mask here (just got it issued to me) and there is alot of dirt and grime, and stuff on the inside of it ( i could care less about the outside)

warm water, cold water, soap, no soap?

thanks!

Forum Member

I clean mine with a soft cloth (no paper towels) along with warm soapy water. Dish soap works good, nothing too strong. Paper towels can scratch it, so be sure to use a cloth.

Lammrover

Forum Member

you need to sanitize it. I am not sure what msa recommends for sanitizing. Your department should have some sort of cleaner for SCBA masks. We changed over from Scott to MSA and the company said it was OK to use the spray we had left over from the Scott paks. What ever you use clean the whole thing real good.

Forum Member

We have two methods of cleaning our masks; which also happen to be MSAs.

The first is to use a concentrated cleaner from MSA mixed into a spray bottle. Take the nose cup out, spray it in, let is soak, wipe it out (and reassemble, after cleaning the nose cup). Make sure you use a cloth that will not produce lint inside the mask.

The second way, which uses the same cleaner, is to mix a batch of it (I like to use warm water) and let the mask soak completely submerged. Then air dry.

We just had all of our SCBAs and Masks flow tested and while the technician was impressed at how well cared for our units where, he did suggest making sure that the exhale valves were cleaned properly (something I usually do; just not often enough). Cleaning it is as simple as letting water run through the exhale valve by pressing it open with your finger. Let the water run through it for about 10 seconds at a time. Repeat 2-3 times, or as required.

Making sure your mask is stored in a clean place is also important; not only for when you are not wearing it, but also while it is in use: IE, hanging by the neck strap before/after putting it on. If you are using the MMRs (mask mounted regulator), make sure that the connection is properly connected to the belt so that it doesn’t get banged around or dragged through the dirt. The same can be said if you are using a BMR (belt mounted regulator) units for the low pressure connection to the regulator.

If you don't have the "official" MSA cleaner at your department it would probably be a good idea to ask someone what to use (either another FF, or an MSA Rep). I like to use warm water when soaking them, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

If you don't have the "official" MSA cleaner at your department it would probably be a good idea to ask someone what to use (either another FF, or an MSA Rep). I like to use warm water when soaking them, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

We don't have any special cleaners. For what it is worth, this is what I was taught:

warm water, soft cloth, utility sink, mild dish soap and dettol.

Soak the mask in warm water and dish soap to soften the grime. Gently wash with cloth. Rinse several times under warm running water. Rinse sink then add the mfgr's recommended amount of Dettol and warm water. Soak mask in that solution for a minute or two. Rinse under running water again. Inspect mask thoroughly. If clean, hang to dry. If not; start with the water and dishsoap again and continue the process.

If you know a better way, PLEASE reply. This is one of my main jobs after a call. I need to do it correctly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a reminder for MSA. If you have heads up display on your mask it needs to be taken off before dunking mask in water. Also mild soap can be used to clean mask but it needs to be rinsed thoroughly. 1 or 2 more slosh and dunks in clean water will rinse mask

MembersZone Subscriber

We have respirator wipe pads, similar to alcohol preps, except they use another substance instead of alcohol. Wipe the mask well, inside and out, with them, and then let it dry for a couple of minutes.
    *Old FH Forum SN: WFDjr1*

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF
    LEATHER FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Suggest you use an anti-bacterial soap,
    available from most suppliers. Takes care
    of things like germs, bacteria, T.B. and
    fungus.

Hope this helps
    Bill

MembersZone Subscriber

This is how we clean the MMR's (masked mounted regulator)facepieces.We use the MSA sanitizer in the sink mixed with warm water. We removed the HUD and voice amp. speaker. Clean off heavy dirt before using the sanitizing solution. Slosh water around the inside of facepiece and wipe with sponge. Rinse with clean water. If you have the voice amp which MSA calls Clear Command be carefull not to soak the microphone that is mounted in the facepiece, it remains in place after you remove the speaker from the outside of the facepiece.

Thread Information