Forum Member

Question What Is Your Dream Job In The Fire Service?

I'm just wondering where people want to go. Maybe you can't immagine a better job than your current one, maybe not.

I'm pretty young myself (18) and still have to decide what would be my dream job. I just found out today I passed my EMT-B test and I test for FFII in June. My short term goals are to start paramedic school and get a vollie job with the local department.

Long term I'm not sure. I would love to work for a rescue company and attend lots of special rescue classes. I would also like to be a high ranking officer on scene, an IC type. A little less mainstream, but I am working on a pilot's license for helicopters and a I would love to work for an air ambulance/air rescue unit.

How about yourself?

Lammrover

Forum Member

Default Re: What Is Your Dream Job In The Fire Service?

Originally posted by Lammrover
    I'm just wondering where people want to go. Maybe you can't immagine a better job than your current one, maybe not.

I'm pretty young myself (18) and still have to decide what would be my dream job. I just found out today I passed my EMT-B test and I test for FFII in June. My short term goals are to start paramedic school and get a vollie job with the local department.

Long term I'm not sure. I would love to work for a rescue company and attend lots of special rescue classes. I would also like to be a high ranking officer on scene, an IC type. A little less mainstream, but I am working on a pilot's license for helicopters and a I would love to work for an air ambulance/air rescue unit.

How about yourself?

Lammrover
    Grasshopper...you have to learn to roll over before you can learn to crawl. You must crawl before you can learn to walk. You must learn to walk before you can run. You must train hard to run the marathon that is the fire service.

PS: I don't want to sdsh the dream.... but there is a huge difference between flying a Robinson R-22 and a Bell Jet Ranger, Dauphin or BK 117 medevac helo. Most air ambo pilots are ex-military with a few thousand hours of flight time in VFR and IFR conditions.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNY

Forum Member

Yeah, I know. Any of these jobs are about 15 years away I figure, at minimum. I am trying the "crawl" phase, but vollie jobs are not easy to come by in my area.

As far as the helicopters go, I'm still talking with the Army, but I'm not going to join for the chance of being selected to try to become a WFO candidate. I could find work elsewere, even if its in another country.

Oh, and BTW, The helicopter I soloed in and am doing my IFR training in is a Bell Jetranger, a model 206-B. Gotta love Northcoast Jetchoppers. Expensive as hell though.

Lammrover
    "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"

FF/EMT: Nimishillen Township FD
    EMT: AMR
    Fire/EMS/Police Dispatcher: CenCom
    Student: Stark State C.O.T.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: What Is Your Dream Job In The Fire Service?

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

there is a huge difference between flying a Robinson R-22 and a Bell Jet Ranger, Dauphin or BK 117 medevac helo. Most air ambo pilots are ex-military with a few thousand hours of flight time in VFR and IFR conditions.
    Hey Gonzo, I gotta question for ya.
    If Huffy made an airplane would you fly in it?

MembersZone Subscriber

A member of the Webteam!

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: What Is Your Dream Job In The Fire Service?

Originally posted by snowball

Hey Gonzo, I gotta question for ya.
    If Huffy made an airplane would you fly in it?
    I'm in private pilot ground school and taking lessons in a Cessna 150... the Huffy of general aviation! LOL
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Lamm,
    I have my dream job! Just like you, I started on a small volunteer fire department when I was 18. While attending college I continued to run calls with my "home" department on weekends, and joined the volunteer department in my college town to run with during the week. During this time I began applying to departments here in Michigan. Upon graduation from college I was fortunate enough to be hired by the Grand Rapids Fire Department (second largest city in Michigan after Detroit). Since then I have worked my way up to my current position as Battalion Chief. I cannot imagine doing anything else! The only downside is that my career is flying by TOO fast. Keep up the hard work, continue to train, train, train, and never give up on the dream of "wearing the badge"!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lammrover,
    Congrats on passing the EMT-B, for your FF2 use a site called www.firenotes.com it costs a couple dollars but the study guides are amazing. I learned more in 2 weeks with them than the whole session.

Back to your question

Well I took all my training and went to apply at the largest Fire Dept around and after months of interviews and testing, I made the short list. I had a few places I went to for back up call to offer me positions, but U never wanted to give up hope I would get the big call (almost 2 years later). I start the academy at my dream job on Monday. It all is coming together for me, and life is good.

Also get in great physical shape, it makes a HUGE difference!! I know guys who did better than me in EMT class and testing for departments who can't get jobs cause they are so out of shape. I am 26 and in the best shape of my life now, and I once was a all-state athlete! I put on 25lbs (175-200lbs) in about 3 months from lifting. The last time I took the CPAT I had the fastest time out of around 25 cadets. I think that is a big reason I had offers right away with no experience.

My dream job would to be a Lieut. or capt. on a rescue company. Give me a truck and a crew to support me and I would be thankfull.

Currently I have applied to WSI to go over seas. That will get me started.

Dennis

Forum Member

Default Not all dream jobs pay..........

I too am working my dream job in the fire service now. I'm a Chief officer in a suburban volunteer dept. 25 years into it and still find it to be very rewarding. I am fortunate to operate under an excellent Chief and I am supported by a great crew of dedicated Firefighters. I may be that rare (or maybe not so rare) volly that has never given any thought to working as a career guy, my one brother is a career F/F and the other one worked for years on a hospital based ALS unit. All three of us have been around the service since we were tadpoles as our dad was a F/F and President of my dept. My job's not perfect but it is about the best deal I can imagine for me, of course an understand wife and family and a really great job (one with pay & bennys) enable it to be so.

Lammrover, aim high, just understand that your goals are looong term ones. Try to stay humble as your skills expand, learn from everyone and everything and treat people well. I have never met a leader that didn't make an effort to be one. Like I said, aim high, just pace yourself. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dream Job

I would just like to say that maybe you are already in a dream job (all of you)and just want to further your career. I realized that I had the dream job and wanted to further my career so I got promoted to LT. which is great. The not so great thing is that they moved me to ARFF. That is right we staff the airport too. So here I am at the Airport. I was a very aggressive firefighter with decent job knowledge and a willingness to learn and teach others. Now I am one of those guys. I can't wait to get back to my dream job in fire suppression.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thumbs up

My dream job -- working on fire service legislation on Capitol Hill. Took a few years, but I made it.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 11:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 11:27 PM.

Forum Member

Right were Im at, the engineers seat But I do hope to become a full time inspector before I retire. Just not quite ready yet to give up the BRT
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

makes good girls go bad

Somewhere (hopefully East Coast) where I can do ALS care, along with Ocean/Fire Rescue. anybody know of any places such as this?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I would love to become a full-time public educator. However, at 44, and with the sad fact that very few departement hire public education personnel from the outside, it seems unlikely at best that it will ever happen.
    So right now I am working on the next best thing as I have been attending classes working towards my Alternative Teaching Certification as an elementary school teacher. Will be finishing this summer and student teaching in the fall.

Forum Member

It happened for me in 1981 when I went from a 2 engine & 1 truck volunteer department to the Jersey City F. D. the second largest dept in New Jersey. It got even better in '91 when I got into my current assignment..Rescue Co 1. Best of luck and stay safe.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replys, and the advice.

Things may be looking up for me as well. When I placed a follow up call to the local department the shift commander knew who I was because he had been looking over my application acket a week ago. Thats good because i turned it in in September. Also, a neighboring department is building a new station that will be staffed so they will be hiring within the year. My FFII instructor is teh EMS captain of that department so if annybody can pull for me, its him.

The thought of being an instructor is interesting too. I have worked at a summer camp the past few yeras instructing things like rifel and shotgun shooting and wilderness survival. I always enjoyed that a lot. Hmmmm, maybe when I have more "crust" than 2 dozen party pizzas.

Lammrover
    "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"

FF/EMT: Nimishillen Township FD
    EMT: AMR
    Fire/EMS/Police Dispatcher: CenCom
    Student: Stark State C.O.T.

Thread Information