Thread: IAFF Membership

MembersZone Subscriber

heres my 2 cents worth on the subject. for what its worth:
    1 -the dangers of the job are great. paid vol what ever you call your selves. If i was in dangerouos job that killed at least 100 of us during the year. would i risk doing it on my off time.

2- the dangers dont end there the rate of cancer in the fire service is growing. Again i ask if the job i'm doing is a danger not only to me NOW but in the years to come. Di I want to put that to risk doing it in my spare time.

3- The dangers dont stop there. The injury rate amoung firefighter is very very high, If i'm in a job that getting hurt is inevatible woudl I wantt o do it in my spare time.

4- If I'm an employer(town, village,city) and I have salaried employes(Career Firefighters) and I'm paying the medical bills for them do i want them doing this in there off time. Like a basball player cant play basketball or bungee jump or even ride a motoecycle.

so the dertemaination of weather you shoud be both is entirely up to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My Brother !

I would like to express my opininon if it's ok. I agree alot with what chief LaBlan replyed. He seems to be an inteligent and wise man. I am a proffesional firefighter who at one time volyed. Statistics show that aprox. 78% of firefighter deaths are vol. firefighters. The union is a geat thing but the lives that are saved everyday by fireifghters is the real point. We all work VERY hard to keep our communities safe and to feel a sence of pride that we are doing something that benefits man kind. One hour ago I was fighting a stuburn 3 acre brush fire, thankfully I had a fast response from our volunteers and we were able to contain it before it reached homes in the area. Your concern is genuine but please dont forget that these volys are putting there buts on the line right behind us and deserve some respect. As a proffesional firefighter we do have to aquire tons of training and that is a valid point. But I think the question should be, What can we do to better train and equip our volys to avoid loosing another brother (paid or not).For alot of us it may be a voly pulling us out of an inferno. Alot of firefighters enjoy doing something that not everyone can do (macho men). If a man is willing to do it for free, more power to him, I just pray that the training and equipment is in place so that we don't loose any more brothers.

104 Incidents Took The lives Of
    American Firefighters In 2004

Career firefighters, those who are employed full-time as firefighters, comprised 29 deaths (27%) in 2004.
    Volunteer, seasonal, and part-time firefighters accounted for 78 deaths.
    Half of the firefighters that died in 2004 died from traumatic injuries such as asphyxiation, burns, drowning, vehicle crashes, and other physical injuries.

Being a union man is great, Not foregeting that there are brothers loosing there lives, takes presidence over any union or organization.

hope the best for you brother!! Were all family

MembersZone Subscriber

This makes me laugh I dont know whats funnier the part about you aint my bro or all of the guff he got about it. I know i dont volunteer where I live I live where I work.The crap about side jobs taking work from "real tradesmen" could easily be turned around. The screams would be loud if I was allowed to go into a factory for a hobby and work for free just to help them stay afloat.The IAFC has fought against measures that would make my career safer. That is how I determine who my bros are and who I can trust.If a mostly career organization put the screws to a mostly volunteer group then how would you feel. 32 F.D.s in my county 3 paid 28 volunteer.

Forum Member

Guys...

[size=large] The horse is dead![/size]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Guys...

[size=large] The horse is dead![/size]
    Then kicking it hurts no one.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Talking

As long as you wear NFPA and OSHA approved steel toe boots....

Thread Information