Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default FDNY Visual Requirements

Anyone know specifically what the visual requirements are.. 20/20, color vision requirement, etc?

Default This has been discussed on this forum before.

Better than 20/40 uncorrected. For more info, check the thread in this forum.

I searched multiple ways and couldn't find any info, would you mind posting a link plz

I don't know how to post the proper link. Search under this forum for "FDNY Vision Requirements" That was the name of the thread; it was an older thread. Hope this helps.
    FDNY Class 1 of 05.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

Forum Member

What was the vision test like. Was it the standard reading the letters across the screen or was it distinguishing shapes from a distance? Is it definite that NO Glasses or corrective contact lenses are permitted. I have been getting mixed answers. Thanks Brothers

fdnyrules71,

From what I understand, you are getting mixed answers because different testers administer the test differently. e-mail me, and I'll tell you exactly how it went down the day I was there: maskedgk@yahoo.com
    FDNY Class 1 of 05.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

Forum Member

Do they test both eyes seperately and then together or is the requirement only for your total vision. I have a unique situation were one of my eyes is really weak and the other really strong so together I have 20/20 but seperatley one is much lower. Will this impact my test results?

Forum Member

I too was wondering about vision requirements as I recently found out I am not eligible for any sort of laser surgery. Sitting at 2062 with my investigation info, curious about the vision requirements.

Forum Member

Default Vision requirements

Hey guys,
    I havent posted on the site b4, but this is one subject that i have been going crazy about!
    I spoke to someone that Dean Tau connected me to, this is what they told me, no worse than 20/40 with both eyes and 20/50 in each individual eye.
    which is a problem for me cause i have 20/35 together but one eye is weaker(20/70) I was told i wasnt able to get the laser surgery, but I found a dr. on park ave. in the city who will do it and im schedualed to go in on the 28th!
    if anyone wants his info drop me an email@ sap1379@tmail.com
    Good luck guys!

Holy crap... I've wondered about this, too, as I know one guy who was disqualified b/c his eyesight wasn't good enough. He's since had surgery and is back in the running. As of a year ago, my eyesight was uncorrected 20/375 for both eyes and I think it's gotten worse. I've heard some people say your vision has to be 20/20 or 20/30 corrected and it doesn't matter what it is uncorrected (my vision is quite good corrected so that's no problem), but then some say it has to be 20/30 uncorrected. Looks like I'm going to have laser surgery, too! Best of luck to ya, sap and I hope you don't go blind from it!

Thread Information