Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Large area search MayDay!

Has anyone out there heard of KCFD's L.A.S.T. training?
    L.arge
    A.rea
    S.earch
    T.eam

A very effective drill for rapidly searching a large area with the emphasis on the TIC and teamwork. We lost a Battalion Chief, John Tvedten, in a warehouse fire on 12/18/99. This training was developed by Kansas City and has been in our ongoing training schedule for trucks and rescues since it's inception. John Tvedten is the reason that Kansas City has TIC's now.

There is a short Windows Media Player video(33mb) on it here at the bottom of this page;

L.A.S.T. Drill in action.

Our department has put a few other departments through this training. If your in the Midwest or anywhere for that matter, you might look up our Drill shedule and see if that coincides with possible training evolutions.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Uh, Yeah, We got That.............

Jerry, Thanks for the info. We train on RIT and Mayday Procedures here. One of my concerns has always been the "Big Box" stores, and how to handle a search in a structure of that size. The "Southwest Supermarket Incident" was one that everyone can learn from. Also, one thing that we're noticing here is an increase in the number of residential properties, both single and multi family, that are installing security grilles on doors and windows. It's hard enough to force entry to start to work, then you get the added load of clearing at least one exit from each room. By training on buildings slated for demolition, as well as the regular stuff at the Academy, we're pretty good at opening up places that were supposed to be tight. Large bar sets over windows in a BRICK wall have gotten easier since we found that an airbag pops them out easily and quickly. Still looking to be faster though.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thanks! I teach the large area search module of a safety and survival program and also like to add to and change up things to keep it fresh. If its ok with you I would like to incorporate this in some way into my program.

The unfortunate part is that this is another thing we have learned from a LODD. It's amazing(sad actually) if I look through the modules of my safety and survival and RIT training programs how many drills, techniques and training props originate due to loss of life on the fireground.

I recently finished building the "Denver Drill" prop(got sick of borrowing it from a neighboring dept) and that's another one created out of loss.

I guess on the bright side we can't know everything we are going to face but at least if we practice from our hard lessons learned we can avoid some future losses.

Stay Safe!

Yes, it is sad that all of our 'Saving Our Own' drills is the result from the loss of life.

The video was filmed in the dark, therefore why so grainy. You would have to witness it first hand to understand the genious behind the model.

It is called the L.A.S.T. drill, but just as easily be called the Tvedten drill.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jerry

It just so happens that this past weekend (Thursday and Friday) I attended Winter Fire School in Wichita, Ks and took the L.A.S.T. class you are talking about. In fact I went through the class (1/2 day) on Thursday and then again on Friday (it was that good). The class was awsome. It was taught by BC Todd Ackerson, Capt. Mike Cashen, Capt. Travis Williams and Capt. Charlie Cashen. The system they developed was clear and easy to follow but most of all WORKED! Here in Wichita we have personal rope bags connected to our SCBA waiste straps. They are bulky and get in the way. The rope bags are intended for self rescue and search but most comments from guys on the floor hate them. Some are even taking them off before the shift starts. My crew attended the class together and is really looking to try and implement L.A.S.T. into our department. Our chief gave us the OK to pursue this and possibly start by teaching it to our battalion. We are hopefully looking at coming up to do a train the trainer class sometime soon(my LT. is dropping an emial to Chief Ackerson today).
    Any other info that you could give would be greatly appreciated.
    What things you may be doing differet? What adjustments, if any, have you had to make to the training? Anything at all would be great. The one problem I see in implementing this here is the Thermal Imager. The instructors said there is a TI on every truck and every rescue in KCMO. Ours are few (one one each battalion chiefs vehicle (3) and one on the safety officers vehicle) and somewhat outdated. I've heard we are going to possible get a 1/2 dozen or so sometime this year.
    Hopefully we will get up to KC and participate in the train the trainer that I mentioned before.

Thanks and stay safe
    WFD1045

Thread Information