Default Medical Monitoring of Personnel

I'm trying to find some information on medical monitoring of personnel at emergency scenes with specific emphasis on Haz-Mat personnel.

We presently have pre and post entry medicals performed prior to any 'A' suit entry. I am trying to determine normal fluctuations in vital signs for the two medicals. Does anyone know what their department standards are and what NFPA says about it.

Presently we monitor Blood Pressure, Pulse Rate, and O2 Saturation.

Thanks for your help
    David

"The Fightin' 16th"

Forum Member

I was looking into somewhat the samething. I am on a haz-mat team for FD. We also do Pre- and post entry physicals. my question is does hippa come into play if you write down team members vitals for shift records? I believe you can find reference to the med entry requirements in NFPA 471, NFPA 472,and NFPA 473. let me know your luck. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

No, you are not violating any HIPPA law by doing what your doing. Sorry, too many agencies and people in our line of work are not fully educated on this law and are so scared of violating this law.
    Too many hospitals and medical people are using this as an excuse for all kinds of issues too.

Here is what we found........

"...any paitent information, including but not limited to, medical information, identification information, or responder safety information, may be shared between responding personnel and caregivers directly involved in the care and medical treatment of said person, for the sole purpose of responder safety, a significant exposure of a biohazard to a responder, proper reporting of the emergency, proper medical treatment of a responder, an ongoing and direct criminal investigation, and responder training."

So, for your situation there, it is not a HIPPA violation.

Plus, you may reference the NFPA regs. listed here to justify your actions.

This should make it clear as mud aye??
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thank-you for your assistance. Based on the research I have done from other departments, NFPA, and government agencies, the proposal I am going to make is based on the following medicals. As well, the paramedic completeing the medicals will record all information on appropriate paperwork to be sent to hospital in case the haz-mat tech has to be sent for evaluation. Incident command will only be informed of "Pass" or "Fail" for the individual and no actual medical information will be given out, thus protecting us from FOIP concerns (I'm assuming FOIP (Freedom of Information and Privacy) is the similar Act to the 'hippa' law you mentioned for the U.S.)

I will let you know how the proposal gets received, or if you would like a copy of it, let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

The guidelines that will be used for the entry medicals will be as follows:

Pre-Entry Medical:
    Blood Pressure: < 150 / 90
    Heart Rate: < 60% of maximum where maximum is defined as 220 - age
    Blood Ox: > 97%
    As well, the paramedic will obtain the following information and may prohibit entry based on the following :
    Open Sores, wounds, rashes on the skin
    Mental status - alert to person, place, time with clear speech and normal gait
    Alcohol consumption within the past 24 hours
    Symptoms of fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or cough within the past 72 hours
    Medications, including over the counter, taken within the past 72 hours
    Pregnancy
    If these guidelines are met, the technician is cleared for the entry.
    If these guidelines are not met, the technician is to be replaced by a different member.

Post-Entry Medical:
    Blood Pressure: < 160 / 110
    Heart Rate: < 85% of maximum where maximum is defined as 220 - age
    As well, the paramedic will obtain the following information and may prohibit further entries based on the following:
    Mental Status - alert to person, place, time with clear speech and normal gait
    Symptoms of fever, nausea, diarrhea, or cough following the entry
    Chest pains or tightness; Pulse irregularities
    Shortness of breath
    Loss of Balance
    If these guidelines are met the technician is cleared for further entries after attending rehab.
    If these guidelines are not met the technician will undergo the recovery rate medical at a 5 minute interval.

Recovery Rate Medical: (Performed 5 minutes after post-entry medical if required)
    Blood Pressure: < 150 / 100
    Heart Rate: < 70% of maximum where maximum is defined as 220 - age
    If these guidelines are met, the technician is cleared for further entries after attending rehab.
    If these guidelines are not met, the technician will be forbidden from further entries for a period of 24 hours.

Thread Information