MembersZone Subscriber

Default Apparatus placement question

Is this an appropriate place for an engine considering the level of involvement and building construction? We have a similar building in our district. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

It is a bit close, alright really close, but you do what you have to do in the real world. Depending on the broader picture (no pun intended there ) what is on the chauffer's side of the ladder in the pic? A parking lot? Another building? That is what is going to dictate where you park your rig.

I can't imagine telling the guys in Boston or NYC not to park the engine in front of brick brownstone or a walkup because "the book" says that you shouldn't park in the collapse zone of a building, so you'd better hump another 50 feet down the road and slap another 50' of hose on the line so we don't worry about a possible collapse.

Of course, some guys might do it and pray they cna force the wall down so they can get a new rig, but that is a whole other issue.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

close ya .........but you may be able to push the wall in with the deck gun ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

You dont know how late into the fire this is. Maybe 45 minutes or more ago the fire wasn't where it's showing in the picture and that area might have been clear.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Always pull the truck past the building, so the rear of the truck is at a corner. As well as getting a 3 sided view of the building, you are in the least likely place to get damage from a collapse. Also aids getting lines off the rear of the truck in a more effcient fashion.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

District Chief

A bit close for my liking.....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

This picture as with all pictures shows one moment. Who knows what the conditions were when those rigs got there, maybe they were down the block at a secondary hydrant and the fire was in a different area of the building on arrival. Who knows? Hindsight is 20/20 don't second guess the brothers' operations.

Forum Member

Guess they weren't real clear at the academy about the "wet stuff on the red stuff".. maybe they should have said "the fire".

Seriously, we do not know what the conditions were on arrival. Maybe it was a seemingly small and controllable fire in that area? Maybe the Truck arrived first and took the outside spot? Maybe there are power lines in the area and that forced the placement shown?
    Maybe as 41 said they were not first due and the fire was not in that area of the structure when they arrived? As IC, I probably would have had the engine relocated by now, but maybe they are shorthanded and that just has not been communicated as of yet. Basically I would need to see more to make a judgement.

Forum Member

Guess they weren't real clear at the academy about the "wet stuff on the red stuff".. maybe they should have said "the fire".
    Now that's good. I like it a lot. I couldn't figure out how to say that myself I kept thinking the poor guy on the deck gun needed more pressure and a better angle.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pressure

Dasharkie,

You got it before I did. I was going to say that it looked like the master stream could have used a little more pressure. But again not sure , becuase we were not there.. They couldhave just started the deck gun.
    Thanks
    DM

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Well................

There's someone on the ladder, possibly just starting to get off after rigging the ladder pipe. A coupla windows look like they were boarded up, and just plain instinct tells me that this one is vacant. With that, I'd be paying as much attention as possible to the standard scenario that turns the building into large piles of bricks in a short time. As a Chief, I wouldn't spot an Engine there, BASED ON WHAT IS SHOWN in the picture, but, the picture doesn't show much. Anyone got a handle on where this is? I'd like to learn more about it.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default moved

If you look at the photo slide show given by the news. You will notice that the Engine was moved before too long out of the area and the ladder truck next to it was setting up. I go now with the theory they were there before it got that big.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the responses.

Haha, wasn’t even gonna go there...

Hindsight is 20/20 don't second guess the brothers' operations.
    The fire service is always been a reactionary trade. We need to start focusing more on accident prevention before the accident occurs. One way we can do this is through critiquing incidents.

Thread Information