Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Feeling of Impending DOOM

We're drawing ever so close to the end of this years grant and I have heard nothing...not a DJ nor a link. We got our DJ last year the 2nd to the last round. That puts us 0-4 and we're in dire need of turn-out and SCBA's. What's the secret. We've been to all the training sessions, submitted our narrative's to several "experts" (state fire service officials and professional grant writers, etc) who all say it looks good. Unfortunately, we've asked for several things we really NEED! There were a couple of things we aren't desperate for but included them anyway. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Go back and look through all the forums on the grants. There is a lot in here on how people made changes and eventually got what they wanted.

It is all in how bad you paint the picture and how you justify your need. You have to be the bleeding heart.

Also there is a poster in these threads that seems to have a great deal of success in helping people out. They are from North Carolina and I believe you may want to contact them with your story and see if they can help.

I gave you the base information...now do your homework and figure out how to find out who I am speaking of...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Focus on what you really need, no shopping lists. SCBA and PPE are big tickets.

Email me if you want our narrative, PPE and SCBA only. We got it this year.

halligan84@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Question...
    In the past 4 apps, when did you get the DJ's? I know you mentioned late last time. If all were later in rounds, this indicates you are progressing thru the computer scoring and the problem is peer review. That means your narrative.

One suggestion, get people NOT in the fire industry (English teachers, etc.) to read your narrative (preferrably prior to app) and if you're using the SAME narrative all 4 years, this should be a huge red flag. Out of probably 6 or 7 of my last apps that were for SCBAs and PPE, only 1 was a DJ and in the first round. SO...look at the narrative. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You make a good point...

Thanks Dixie...you make a good point. The first two years, I was not involved in the grant writing. Both were tossed in the first round. The past two years, I have written the grant, including narratives. Last year, was 2nd to the last round. This year...well, I'm still waiting but not feeling very confident. In any event, it means I'm making it past the computer scoring, not the peer review, right? How do you grab the attention of those on that committee? I've had several others (including English Professors at the University nearby) review the narrative and have received a "thumbs-up" from them all. I'm afraid I'm just asking for too much, which is unfortunately what we do need. Maybe I'll just shoot for the fundementals...PPE, SCBA, and leave it at that. The rest, well I guess we just do without. Thanks for your advise....

MembersZone Subscriber

How old is your PPE and SCBAs? Also, how many sets are you asking for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have 32 members. The oldest of my gear dates back to 1989. I have 21 sets that are pre-1995. I requested 20 full sets of PPE. My SCBA's are current and certified but my tanks end their life (3 already this year) and the remainder within 2 years. I have 12 SCBA's with 24 bottles. I asked only for 24 bottles. I also asked for facepieces for everyone to insure proper fit. I'll send you a copy of my narrative for you to review if you would be so kind. Any advise would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

DK,
    I had just sent you an email that said I'd be glad to look at it. So good timing.

One other question, If you had received the 20 sets of PPE what percentage of compliance would that place your dept?

MembersZone Subscriber

20 sets would have brought me up to date and 100% NFPA compliant. However, I'm due to replace 6 sets this next year, so will probably have to add them to my 20...or would I be better off just asking for ALL new stuff for the whole Dept?

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you indicate on your app that you would be in 100% compliance? or did you put less than 100%?

I will wait and not make any split-second arm chair QB-ing, until I read your narrative.

thanks -

Alana

Thread Information