Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default To All in the Northeast

Stay safe today, weather your on your regular shift in the city, or your company is going on storm standby

be extra careful today guys and girls...

I'm watching the clock waiting for it to hit 3 so I can bolt out of work... this is of course assuming evening shift doesn't call in sick and I get stuck here. If that happens, I might not be able to leave until tommorow afternoon.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Going in at five for my last night of the tour, probably be there tomorrow, as many probably will bang out. We'll see . Stay safe everyone!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Angry

We were supposed to have a company dinner tonight, I had to cancel it. I'm just waiting now for the first company in the county to call a snow standby, It started snowing already, I packed a bag to spend the night at the firehouse
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by fflynn17
    We were supposed to have a company dinner tonight, I had to cancel it. I'm just waiting now for the first company in the county to call a snow standby, It started snowing already, I packed a bag to spend the night at the firehouse
    where you you located? im in orange county ny

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Here Too............

14:40 hours, 1-22-05. Glenn Dale Maryland, Weather is: Heavy Snow, 4" on the ground now, 8" more forecast, Wind NE @ 6-8 mph, Visibility under 0.5 mile, Temp. 17. As the Snow moves out tonight, forecast is for winds to pick up to 25-30 mph, gusts to 40. High winds, dry snow, and lots of it, mean big drifts here. Tomorrow should be partly sunny, winds continuing thru tuesday. I'm home, taking a break after being in the station from 17:00 yesterday til 12:30 today. Probably go back tonight, or when a job hits, whichever is first. 6 runs so far today. So much for here, my concern is that you folks North of me will really get hammered tonight and tomorrow. The Weather Channel is looking at as much as 2 FEET around Boston. (Dave and Ron, Copy?) Looks to be a classic Nor'easter, except it didn't originate in the Gulf. Y'all Stay Safe out there.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
    230 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2005

.SHORT TERM (TONIGHT SUNDAY)...MODELS HAVE CONTINUED TO BRING THE STORM NORTHWARD AND SLOW IT'S DEPARTURE...THUS MORE SNOW THAN EARLIER ANTICPATED. OVER LAND WILL GO WITH BLIZZARD WARNINGS ALONG COASTAL ZONES WITH WINTER STORM WARNINGS OVER INTERIOR SECTIONS. WILL ALSO GO WITH ADVISORY OVER NH ZNS 3/4 INTO THE WESTERN MAINE FOOTHILLS AND LESS THAN ADVISORY AMOUNTS NORTH OF THAT. FORECAST AMOUNTS 12 TO 18 INCHES OVER SOUTHERN NH/YORK COUNTY ME...6 TO 12 INCHES CENTRAL NH INTO CUMBERLAND COUNTY ME... AND A 3 TO 6 INCH STRIPE FOR THE ADVISORY AREA WITH LESS THAN 3 NORTH OF THAT. WINDS WILL BE A HUGE FACTOR IN TOTAL STORM IMPACT. WINDS OVER THE WATERS COULD GUST WELL INTO THE 60 KT RANGE SO WE'VE GONE WITH A HURRICANE FORCE WIND WARNING OVER THE WATERS. STORM WILL BE SLOW TO PULL OUT ON SUNDAY WITH WINDS STILL A PROBLEM AFTER THE SUNDAY TIME FRAME.
    &&

.LONG TERM (SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY)...FOCUS ON EXTENDED PORTION IS THE THIRD PERIOD (SUNDAY NIGHT) WITH THE OCEAN STORM PULLING OUT TO SEA. EXPECT AN EYE-LIKE FEATURE WILL APPEAR BY THIS TIME ON INFRARED (OR LATE DAY VISIBLE) STLT IMAGES. STILL VERY WINDY CONDS ALONG AND NEAR THE COASTLINE. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND VERY COLD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE.

NWS in Mass is saying it has the potential to be one of the "top 10" winter storms -- forecasting gusts to 85mph over Cape Cod. We'll soon see! We had a very bad residential fire last night... -11 outside. Due to a delayed report, it was pretty much a complete loss. Luckily we didn't run into any critical issue with water supply.

Be safe
    and
    Stay warm and dry!
    Last edited by Resq14; 01-22-2005 at 04:07 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

From TWC:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON VERMONT CONTINUES THE WINTER STORM WARNING THROUGH MIDDAY SUNDAY FOR ESSEX COUNTY NEW YORK AS WELL AS CENTRAL VERMONT. SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT BEFORE TAPERING OFF EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE 5 TO 10 INCHES.

IN ADDITION... GUSTY NORTHERLY WINDS AT 10 TO 20 MPH WILL CREATE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW... ALONG WITH BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS AS LOW AS 25 BELOW.
    Well, time to pack the overnight bag, bring my gear in from the back of the car so it's nice and toasty, make sure the generator has fuel just in case, and settle down to a nice warm cup of coffee in the recliner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Hehe Harve,Mebbe you get to go play with your dozer! 2'? Bring it on,the hooks are fueled and ready.Had an expensive series of mechanical failures yesterday,so I'm looking to help recoup the losses. T.C.

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Hehe Harve,Mebbe you get to go play with your dozer! 2'? Bring it on,the hooks are fueled and ready.Had an expensive series of mechanical failures yesterday,so I'm looking to help recoup the losses. T.C.
    Watch out! He's talking about tow-trucks again!

And we thought you only did that in the U Of E forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

We got it here in NW Ohio, too.......

Probably have somewhere around 8-10" on the ground an more is coming down right now. Plus we are also supposed to have the high winds for blizzard-like conditions.........

Stay safe in the mess, everybody..........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Here on sunny Long Island about 8" ... so far @ 18:53
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

I brushed 8" of partly cloudy off my truck last night.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

You guys/gals be careful out there. Sounds pretty nasty.

It is raining and raining and raining and raining here. Did I mention it has been raining? Over the next 7 days the P.O.P. is 100% 4 of the days and 60% the other 3 days. I have no idea how much rain has fallen in the past week or so. Between one and two feet I believe.

Flooding and mudslides have started to become a problem in some areas. There was one slide came down last week on some houses in the Vancouver area, killing one woman.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Projected snowfall for Marlborough is 20 to 30 inches with blowing drifting snow.

We have 4 Engines, 2 Ladders and the Rescue staffed with 20 firefighters, 6 line officers and the Deputy Chief

Watch it be quiet... God, I hope so!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

It's kind of hard for me to imagine what you guys and gals are going through at the moment - it's noon here in Down Under Australia, the temps had soared into the 100's by 10am and I'm off to the beach for some surfin' - see ya's

Oh - and take care up there in the white stuff.
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 01-22-2005 at 08:13 PM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

8-10 inches on the ground now in western Pa. I think most of the snow is finally over though. High winds and very cold temps will continue for the next couple days though.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

I'm in Rockland county, about 10 inches of snow. It has slowed down now, the road crews are doing a good job of keeping the roads clear. We had 3 calls, one small electrical fire. The county is quiet, I went home and will respond to get the 2nd truck out. I have a Jeep, so I can get there. I put a piece of carpet on my windshields so I don't have to do too much snow off my car.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

Smile

Sitting in front of the 'puter with a hot mug of joe watching the neighbor snowblow his driveway. We got about a foot overnight, but sunny and clear this am, roads are plowed and clear. The downside is it's -14 and the wind chill is about -25. I think I'll continue to sit here with my coffee.

Talking

It's still snowing, I'm working a 10 hour OT trick, storm staffing is 20 firefighters, 6 line officers and the deputy again... life is good!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information