Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Going Airforce, need advice

Hey guys,
    I've already enlisted in the US Air Force but need some help on jobs. As some of you probably know the airforce very rarely does a guaranteed job choice unlike the rest of the services. You have to list 5 job choices and your guaranteed one, kinda stupid if you ask me. I'm wanting more than anything to do firefighting as a career once I get out of service, and I have been doing everything right in my senior year to get expierance in it, and see if I will like it as a job, which I found out I do.

Anyways, my recruiter called me up today and told me he has a guaranteed contract coming up to the station for me, for Signal Intelligence Analyst, (one of the jobs I put as one of my 5 choices because I had to), and I'm in a bind. If I sign it, i'm going into that specialty area in the airforce with a slim chance of transferring to the fire protection track. What would any of you prior service guys do? Sign that contract and go that route, and then get my fire credentials on the outside, or take a chance and just go to basic without a guaranteed job and hope I land the fire job at basic when they go through the job screen where the majority of the jobs are given out at? I want to go fire protection in the USAF because everything is nationally accredited, I don't have to pay to get trained in it, and it'll put me a level above everyone else when I apply to a civilian department.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know anything about going to the DOD fire school and getting credentialed in there if for some reason I don't get into the fire track of the USAF while i'm in another specialty? Again any help would be much appreciated.

Cody Pugh
    Last edited by sarge73; 01-22-2005 at 05:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

what about the USAF Reserves, I did that B/C like in your case it wa sthe only way the AF would give me the job I wanted as CFR in the AF so when it came available on the reserve side I signed my contratc that way and you can go from reserves to active duty if you chose to or just do TDY roations from the reserve side
    feel free to email if I can help
    David "Scottie" Harris
    Captain
    D-4 Camp Falcon
    Baghdad, Iraq
    sh_fireinv@hotmail.com
    "There is no right way to do a wrong thing...no success in management will ever compensate for a failure in leadership."

I want to go fire protection in the USAF because everything is nationally accredited, I don't have to pay to get trained in it, and it'll put me a level above everyone else when I apply to a civilian department.
    It's not nationally accredited by any means...Not all 50 states will accept it.

Vermont will make you take the Vermont course, with a very little chance of getting reciprocity.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Is it possible to change once i've already signed for 4 years of active duty? I had thought about national guard, but I don't want to be the one weekend a month kinda guys. If you know right off hand that would be awesome. If not I can find out.

I see your down in Raleigh, I'm hoping to eventually get on a fire department down there. Is Greensboro a good dept, Charlotte? Any recommendation's. And do you have to be a resident of the state to be hired? (I live in ohio)

Cody Pugh

I did Signals Intellignece when I was in the Corps and after all of the money they pump into you for that job they are not going to let you go drive a fire truck. You're talking almost $1,000,000 in school and training costs so its not like it'd be easy even putting in the request, even then you'd probably have to pull out you're first tour and then try to talk a career jammer into getting you into CFR.

Remember, the navy and Marines have CFR as well, but you're only CFR and you will deploy forward either on a carrier, amphib, or combat zone.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Default DONT SIGN ANYTHING!

I just re-read your post, and saw that you have already enlisted. Too bad. Remember, Recruiters are just like salesmen- they have quotas to meet, and have to push some MO's or Grades more than others!

You are giving them 4 (or more) years of your life- you should be doing what YOU want to do. If you had NOT signed your enlistment, you could have pressed the Recruiter for firefighter. When he balks, and says "Well, I have this billet for Signal Intellegence Analyst, and I''ll give you a $3K Signing bonus, and a guaranteed duty station, blah blah blah........" You then say "BS. Give me Firefighter or I'll go see what the Navy can do for me." Get up and start walking out of his office. I guarantee he will change his tune.

But, you already enlisted! You now have nothing to bargain with.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Yes, I've enlisted, but haven't taken the second oath yet, so I can still say screw em If I want. But I don't wanna do that. I haven't signed the signal intell contract yet, I don't think I will. Probably take my chance at basic to get my fire job there as it's my top choice. Also does anyone know anything about switching from active duty to reserve before basic or is the pretty much out of the question? Thanks guys.

Cody Pugh

MembersZone Subscriber

Default reserves

the job you want has to be open to enlist in the reserves b/c everything you do is based on that opening with the unit you would be going to your boot camp slot and tech school have to line up so you can return to the unit which you are asigned when you finish tech school
    David "Scottie" Harris
    Captain
    D-4 Camp Falcon
    Baghdad, Iraq
    sh_fireinv@hotmail.com
    "There is no right way to do a wrong thing...no success in management will ever compensate for a failure in leadership."

Forum Member

Sarge, I beleive you can still get out of your contract that you have. I would get out if you can and join a guard or reserve unit and then go active duty if that is what you really want. I was active Army for 5 years and now am in the Air National Guard in Syracuse. The training that you get at the DOD fire school at Goodfellow AFB in Texas, is the same for all branches with a few exceptions(mostly just the ARFF training). I know there is a guard unit(ARMY) right near Columbus I beleive. And there is an Air Force unit guard or reserve right at Columbus airport. I have a buddy in the Army unit. He works for Columbus Fire. They deploy alot. He went to Afghanastan and Iraq. If you have any Questions about the academy or anything else, drop me a line.

If you scored well enough on the ASVAB, YOU have the power, not the recruiter. They are scrapping for qaulity recruits right now, for obvious reasons. Tell them what you want, and if they can't do it, go another branch or reserves/Guard. When I went through basic in the Navy, the guys without a rating were typically not the "best and brightest".

Get the job you want IN WRITING or go somewhere else. Don't compromise!!!
    "Don't just do something, stand there!!!"

Arrow

Donít sign the contract yet, donít let the recruiter make you feel guilty about not taking the job he has to offer. I spent 8 years active duty Air Force and 6 years in the Air National Guard. When I signed up for the Air Force at age 18 I was told no firefighting jobs were available. The recruiter offered me a position in Aircrew Life Support which I declined and took my chances going to basic hoping a firefighting position would open up. While at basic I chose eight jobs from a list of open positions that included Fire Protection but did not include Aircrew Life Support. I ended up in Aircrew Life Support the job that wasnít even on the open position list. Now it may sound like I am complaining but Life Support turned out to be a good job and I did 8 really good years. I switched to the Air National Guard and retrained to Fire Protection, when I separated from the guard last December the Fire Protection career field was short a large number of people.

You have the power donít let the recruiter make a decision for you. Several other posts have said this already, YOU GIVE THE RECRUITER AN ULTIMATUM, DONT MOVE FROM YOUR POSITION, AND DEMAND THE POSITION YOU WANT, because it will be the last time that you can demand anything from the military.
    Thanks, Nathan

Thread Information