Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Am New!

Forum Member

Talking I Am New!

Ok guys I am new but not new to the fire service. I have been doing it for about the last 6 months as just taking classes to get me prepared to join the fire service. I live in Connecticut and I was just wondering if anyone would like to help me out either by email or AOL instant messanger to give me hints or just talk and share stories and there knowledge.

Also if anyone has any shirts they would like to send me from there fire department that would be cool just post on this thread or email me at ramsfootball65@yahoo.com or catch me on AIM at Jakobe1andonly! Hey anything you guys could do for me would be greatly appreciated. Help your youth of the Fire service succede and take your place some day.

Anything would be better than nothing: patches, window sticker, bumper stickers, posters, calenders, shirts, hats. anything would be cool just email or Aim and we can talk more!

Thanks a bunch,
    JAKE!

Forum Member

What does this look like some type of charity?? You want a cold beverage as well? And by the way 6 months is VERY new.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jake

Jake,

Welcome to the job and site. Best thing you can do is just listen to the older guys in your house and on here. Several guys and gals on here have been doing this alot longer then you would think. I have 10 years in, and still consider myself a puppy when it comes ot some stuff.
    Thanks
    DM

Sounds like we have a whacker in the works.

Would you like a lightbar too?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

hey, welcome.the fire service is always looking for go-getters like you, so just keep hitting those books.

Don't tear him apart for being eager.

Listen to the older guys, work your butt off, don't complain, and always be eager to learn something, and don't be a know it all.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

6 months is a really short time in the dept. I havent been in even that long and know i have a LOT to learn. I'm a junior at a dept. in Harpers Ferry WV. I have no problem sending you a shirt but id like 1 of your companys in return. Like some of the other guys have said its not a charity and im sure most of us would be willing to make a trade. I also have some shirts from my dads dept in Maryland that i would be willing to trade if your interested e-mail me at ciconroy@frontiernet.net or aim me switch1938

co1junior,

Wheres your dad's department?

My dad was a firefighter for 25 years at Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad in Bethesda.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Jake,

I'm right down I-84 and know that you get enough calls that you will learn through going to calls and observing as a junior. Don't get to into this while you are still in school. Trust me, four years ago, I took EMT while a senior in high school. I got through it but would never recommend anyone doing that. Don't hang around the firehouse every Friday and Saturday night just to spark some calls. Go out and hang out with your friends. Four years as a junior and four years as a firefighter and good training got me to Lt. In a couple of months you'll calm down and let things fall into place. Remember, it's volunteer and you can do it when you can.

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Default Re: I Am New!

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 10:04 PM.

RFRDxplorer he just made Lt. but hes been at Station 7 w/ HAZMAT, Station 26 with the truck and now hes a batallion floater in batallion 2 (bethesda, chevy chase)
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

Some of you guys need to calm down quite a bit. A lot of your responses in all honesty make you seem like the kind of guy on a company that nobody likes. Don't jump down the kids throat...he's new, so what. Help him, don't turn him off to the service. I'd hate for one of you to give the rest of us bad names just because you like to flex your internet muscles to a newbie.

MembersZone Subscriber

My uncle retired out of the Chevy Chase Fire Department. He actually worked for Chevy Chase FD though, not Montgomery County DFRS. He retired before DFRS came about.

P.S. There are no Firefighters at BCC-RS, just Rescue Randy Wanna-Be's......
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Thread Information