Forum Member

Default Using MS Office Outlook to schedule shift calendar

Hey everyone -

I have decided to incorporate Microsoft more deply into my computer and my life. (They infect everything already.) Does anyone know how to automatically schedule my 24 hr shift days into Outlook?

I work this schedule... On, Off, On, Off, On, 4 days Off. I also have comp days but will not schedule those automatically because I can trade them and they will change throughout the year.

I may also be interested in setting up a calendar for use throughout MS Office (such as Excel, Outlook and Word) to allow me to use it to schedule other activities outside of my shift days (training days, events).

Thanks in advance for help or a reference.

Lt. Benson911

Forum Member

There is a Shift Calendar thing here on FH.com....... You put in the schedule you work and pick one of the days and it will spit out a calendar for the rest of the year for you. Only downfall is you'd have to print them out............
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

From your example it appears that your schedule is a nine day cycle counting your off days. What I did (may not be the best way) is I clicked on "action" top row then "all day event" In the subject area give it the name "work day" or what ever you like. I used AM 1, AM 2, PM 1, and PM2 because I worked 2 days 2 nights and 4 off. After giving it a name click on "recurrance" Then click on "daily" and "repeat" every 10 days. If you want it to show as a color than click on "label" pick a color and "save" Check calendar. It should show that shift every 10 days in the color you selected. Do the same for your other two shifts and your calender is done for the rest of your life.

If you have palm based hand held unit you can synchronize your schedule and millions of other things to it.

IF you schedule does not repeat as you showed then disregard the above.

Forum Member

Thanks, firenresq77, but I was looking for MS Outlook specific help. I have used that schedule generator and others on the web.

A big thank you to gcfddata, that is exactly what I was looking for! I did have to change the daily repeat to 9 days, 10 was too many.

Gcfddata, you mentioned syncing up with a wireless device. I put bluetooth in my new laptop and I will be buying a new Nextel phone after my contract expires next January. What do you suggest I get to make syncing with my laptop and my schedule easier?

Lt. Benson911

Forum Member

Default synching with wireless

Sorry never used bluetooth. We used regular Palm Hot synch cradle. For Fire Service use (now retired) we never considered any screen size lower than a PDA because to hard to read. Second problem was we found you usually want to see information while you are on phone talking. Can't see it if it's next to your ear.

As for Civilian use still use PDA and separate cellphone for the same reasons. Only now instead of FD data I have pictures, Outlook, airline schedules and a great Highway program with every restuarant ,hotel,gas, and food along any road in US.

Also just checked microsoft site of bluetooth compatible products and Nextel wasn't listed. You might want to double check that before you go for nextel.

Default Thanks guys

I searched for schedules to upload online and got sent to your discussion on here. I entered the dates into Outlook on my computer and synced it to my phone. It did take a little longer because I am on a 4 6 schedule but now i'm good to go so thanks.

Forum Member

Default Re: Outlook schedule

Glad it worked out for you

Forum Member

Just a little FYI, I am using a Palm Treo phone, when I first synced it, my shcedule wound up off by one day. They had a calendar update that needed to be downloaded, this corrected the situation. Also, a little known feature of Outlook, National holidays can be added also. This way they show up on your calendar every year without you having to add them.

Go to Tools
    then Options
    then calendar options
    click add holidays
    select the country that you want the holidays for

You will get all holidays, some you may not even know about.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information