Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Have VIN...Steal Car??

Read this report I got from a friend and tell me what you think.. Hopefully the dealerships need proof of ownership first.....

AUTO VIN#

"Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief."
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

I've heard of this happening in the past.

I'm surprised they still don't check for proof of ownership.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

You'd really hope that it's not that easy????
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

From Snopes.com....

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

Yes, the technique has been successfully used, but for various reasons it's not as practical as it sounds for the average car thief....well, read the article, you'll get the idea....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information